Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Race gun build

CE325

I have been thinking of building my G17 into a race gun. On a budget.

Any reccomendations on parts will help. This is my first build like this.

As far as optic goes I have been considering a Burris fastfire 2

Or a sight mark sure shot, or minishot.

Also a cmore sight.

Looking for pros and cons on them.

Also looking into a MAKO tactical scope mount from cheaperthandirt its only $39.97

Any good?

That's about as far as I have gotten.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

When I was considering a Glock for open, all roads kept leading back to Bobby Carver. http://bb-enterprise.biz/

A friend ordered parts here and there, and eventually ended up with a great gun...but after a lot of headaches and sending the gun out for gun-smithing twice.

That said, if it were my time, money, and sanity, I'd just havee Bobby Carver build a complete gun for me. Saves time, money, and pulling your hair out.

Those MAKO mounts are Israeli and look like they should be okay. Just an observation though. With that Weaver rail under the mount it won't make the Mako very "holster friendly"

Have a look at the link below. The Fab Defence USM mount also Israeli is similar, except it is aluminium. So you could have the extra Weaver rail under the front milled off to make it holster compatible.

My link I have bought one of these and I am having it milled and intend to try it.

I have two OPEN Glock 17's. One has the Burris Fastfire 2 and the other has the CMORE STS. In use there is nothing to chose between them. But the CMORE gets the nod because you can change the battery without removing it from the mount. So then you don't have to re-zero.

post-31812-0-08790900-1323818442_thumb.j

post-31812-0-01892900-1323818501_thumb.j

I have been thinking of building my G17 into a race gun. On a budget.

Any reccomendations on parts will help. This is my first build like this.

As far as optic goes I have been considering a Burris fastfire 2

Or a sight mark sure shot, or minishot.

Also a cmore sight.

Looking for pros and cons on them.

Also looking into a MAKO tactical scope mount from cheaperthandirt its only $39.97

Any good?

That's about as far as I have gotten.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

CE325,

I am in a similar boat and I will share what I decided to do and where I am at. I picked up a KKM dropin barrel with a SJC comp and a SJC magwell from a member here. I just picked up a Carver mount as well from another member. Definitely see what parts you can save a couple of $s on. I would recommend a carver as well if you are not sure if you think you may not stick with open. There are a lot of other mounts out there that require frame modifications. I have installed a steel guiderod with a 11lb recoil spring from Glockworx. I have temporarily moved over my vanek trigger, I may buy another one to dedicate to this setup. Santa told me he bringing my Cmore for the mount.. then it will be ready for the range(he should have the slideracker and extended mag release as well). As of now, the gun runs flawlessly. I can't wait to get the dot on it. I hope that helped.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at getting a magwell for my build and notice that the one I want is a sjc and it weighs 3.6 oz. the other ones weigh 3.4/5.9 oz...

I have looked and can't find out but is there a weight limit to a open gun?

Where can I find the rules on the open class. I don't want to buy something and not be able to use it.

I'm going to be getting everything from carver just 1 piece at a time! So far I got a c-more sight that's it.

The only thing that's going to be hard to get is a speed holster don't know why they are so much money.

There's no max weight limit for an open gun. You can check all the rules online (see Appendix D-1) http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Can't wait to see how your build comes out. If you've never shot Open...it is THE BOMB!

As for why do Open division holsters cost so much? Everything in Open cost$$$. Just 4 magazines for our new Open guns cost more than we paid for our production gun and holster.

Sometimes I think Open means "Open your wallet....wide."

Edited by Chip_E

In my opinion take your time and get what you want. The first time I built a open gun I bought the cheap stuff trying to keep it cheap and that is what I got, after fighting it for two years and ordering the right parts (Sjc) the gun is awesome. MY OPINION.

+1

When my wife and I started shooting USPSA, we took the cheap route...Ruger SR9s. We were lucky BladeTech made a holster for it. I was trying to save money because I had to buy 2 of everything....even though I know "Buy cheap, pay twice".

From that lesson I made sure we bought the best..."The best is the least expensive in the long run." My wife's gone from shooting just under 40% in production, to a consistent 64% in Open. I'm not saying it's all the gear...she's a helluva competitor,

but having good equipment doesn't hold you back from your potential. NOTE - Now I'm trying to keep up with her. :-)

What about mag extensions, who sells the cheapest,or best brand for the $?

I have 5 17 round mags do I need to get 5 mag extensions or do I really need that many mags for open class?

And what is the max amount of rounds you can carry?

I'm hoping to get everything I need before July when the proam match in frostproof starts. Hopefully before so I can test it.

I really want to shoot that match in the open class.

With the stock 17rd glock mags you can get taylor freelance 170mm extensions which will get you 28 in the mag and the arredondo +6 extensions will get you 23 in the mag. If you have 5 mags I would recommend getting 2 each TF +11 (170mm) extensions and 3 each of the arredondo +5/+6 extensions so you have 2 big sticks and 3 140’s.

Its been said before here and at least once by me...Bobby Carver is one nive guy!! If you have any questions about your build, call him. He answers the phone and doesnt mind. I do not work for him (i would love to shoot on his team) and I have never meet him just talked to him a few times.

Bobby Carver is the way to go, for certain. I just bought one of his 'special' model (The Impala) in .40. By far out of all the modified/Limited/Open Glocks I have shot, Mr. Carver's mount and trigger job is the way to go. Most important thing.....he set my .40 up to run whatever type ammo I need to run. I dont reload, and to me....this is a major thing. The man himself hand delivered my fine piece of machine to me. Took the time to walk me through every little bit of info I will ever need, even shook my hand and told me "If anything ever happens with your gun, please call me directly and I will make it right". I enjoy my .40 so much, I am having him build me a 9mm slide as well. Great service, better craftsmanship.

I wish I could afford to just buy one of his pistols complete but i have to do it piece by piece.

Im getting everything from him for sure i have heard great things about his products and dont plan on going anywhere else.

I wish I could afford to just buy one of his pistols complete but i have to do it piece by piece.

Im getting everything from him for sure i have heard great things about his products and dont plan on going anywhere else.

have you thought of buying one of his combo packages and DIY?

To answer a little of you question about the dots. I have found it hard to fine tune loads with a slideride dot. That could be just me, but he movement of a slide mounted optic doesnt give that same visual feedback I would like to see.

When you choose the optic keep in mind some move because of how it is mounted. On the other hand a plus to slideride systems is you can zero and make almost no changes in holds at different distances. I am rambling now..

Edited by thebridge