Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Follows when safety disengaged

Jack Suber

I was playing with an old Para P14 of mine yesterday and notice that if I squeezed the trigger a little when the safety was engaged, and then deactivated the safety, the hammer would fall to half-cock. Is this an issue of a bad safety or spring? This only happens if a put a little pressure on the trigger prior to disengaging the safety. I discovered it when checking the safety to see if it worked prior to firing. The pistol has been sitting in my safe for a couple of years. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jack,

the one you performed is one of the basic functioning tests to run after fitting a new manual safety.

If, after squeezing the trigger with safety on, at safety disengagement hammer follows, it means that the safety is not working properly, i.e. the safety notch doesn't prevent sear movement.

Could it be a worn-out safety, or was it showing the same habit since its first day?

In any case, if you're not familiar with safety fitting, you'd bet have a competent gunsmith fix it for you, it's definitely not working the way it should.

Jack,

I had the same problem on a STI/Briley .40. Turned out that the person who fitted the safety originally had removed too much material which in turn allowed too much movement of the sear when the safety was engaged. I took it to a 'smith and the repair was to build up the safety (he had a small amount of metal deposited by heli-arc) and re-fit it. If your 'smith is local and that is the problem, he can have it done in a day or so.

Hope this helps.

dj

Jack, it's already been answered for you. But I had the same deal with my para, I think their safety's are soft or something. But I had a guy micro-weld it up a bit and then had it re-cut to fit. Probably easier to just buy a new one. Also look and make sure they cut the safety and not the sear. I've seen some guys cut the sear first, the old "cut on the cheap part" thing. If that's the case you may need a new sear also.

• 2 years later...

Ok, this is an old thread to dig up, but I've done my task of searching before asking. My situation is very similar, trying to add an extended thumb safety to my 1911. With the new safety in the on position, the hammer falls part way if the trigger is depressed. The old small nubbin of a safety didn't have this problem. The trigger is sweet, so I don't want to replace the sear.

As I understand it, these are my options: have a gunsmith weld material onto the safety and fit it to my gun; get another safety and hope it fits; or stick with the nubbin.

I want to be able to keep my right thumb on the safety, so keeping the nubbin is out for long term. Another safety sounds like its just as likely to not work. Therefore, the best candidate seems to be getting the safety fitted without touching the sear.

1st, Do I understand all this right? 2nd, what should it cost to get a safety built up and fitted? 3rd, Is this something to trust to your average gunsmith, or should I send it away for top notch work?

Input is much appreciated.

Chris

Having the current safety welded up and then fitted, or getting a new safety and having it fitted is going to be pretty similar in terms of both needing to be fitted.

IF you have a local 'smith you're comfortable with welding and then fitting, fine. If you don't know one who could do that, but who could fit a new safety, that's the other option.

If you want to send it off for repair, the forums here at BE are full of good choices. A quick search (and your own experience already) will give you some great options to choose from. I wouldn't try to list all the good options here lest I forget one and piss off someone I might need one day. ;)

Edited by ima45dv8

I would agree with the safety but have the sear checked also.

Several years ago I had a pistol come in that had chunk of metal missing from the bottom of the sear.

Only seen it that one time but it never hurts to look.

The sear can cost a little or a lot, depending on what sear, what gun, what hammer, are the pin holes in the frame straight, is the hammer cut square, and some other things. If a guy charged you $50 to install a new sear he would do OK sometimes, and sometimes he would lose his shirt on the job.

Fitting a safety isn't a big deal IF the hammer and sear are done right. Takes me 15 minutes or so on average if everything else is OK, plus about $55 for a good set of Brown ambi's or $90 for SV's. Browns and SV's are all I will use anymore.....

I was playing with an old Para P14 of mine yesterday and notice that if I squeezed the trigger a little when the safety was engaged, and then deactivated the safety, the hammer would fall to half-cock. Is this an issue of a bad safety or spring? This only happens if a put a little pressure on the trigger prior to disengaging the safety. I discovered it when checking the safety to see if it worked prior to firing. The pistol has been sitting in my safe for a couple of years. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This trouble happen when the sear is too short. When you pull the trigger,also with the safety engaged, there is a minimal moviment of the trigger blow that push on the disconnector and on the sear legs. This happen because the thumb safety needs a little "tolerance" to be deactivate without too much force (in contrary case the safety scratch on the back of the sear legs when you disengage it). Now the sear moves itself a little in front so if the sear nose is too short the trigger inertia force win on the resticence of the sear and the hammer go down on the half cock.

Hope to be clear