Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well, the day is finally here. I am leaving soon to get my Shot in the back to see if my lower back pain/Sciatic nerve leg pain will settle down a little bit. I am really not looking forward to the procedure but I am looking forward to any relief it may bring.

It was not too bad I guess. It hurt when he pumped in the steroids the most. My butt is still numb from the lidocaine. I hope this works.

I'm a little aggravated over all the differing opinions on the effectiveness of this treatment. One doc tells me some patients go for years pain free after the shot and the doc who did the shot said his record for a patient not needing another shot is only 14 months. He said not to expect more than 3-6 months of relief. I guess I'll just wait and see.

My mom has had them occasionally. She usually gets good results for several months, but has to go back later. Her pain does come back, but isn't as severe. If you're diabetic, watch your blood sugar; corticosteriods will run it up. Good luck & hope you're doing better.

I got a 3 shot series a few years ago, L5-S1 rupture, to get off the hard pain killers.

My doc said it was to just get me through the 6 month PT and disc healing process, said after 6 months the disc would shrink as much as it was going to and if I still had pain surgery was next. PT fixed me with no surgery.

My relief was 2-3 days after the first shot.

Good luck.

David E.

My mom has had them occasionally. She usually gets good results for several months, but has to go back later. Her pain does come back, but isn't as severe. If you're diabetic, watch your blood sugar; corticosteriods will run it up. Good luck & hope you're doing better.

Systemic cortico-steroids sure will -- I'm less worried about one time injectables.....

Used to get the shots in the bottom of my heel. Both feet. I remember the first time they decided to inject my heels. Doc found the general area of pain and drew a circle on the heel. He then found the most sensitive part and marked it with a dot. Then the injection. I had asked if there was going to be something to deaden the pain and of course he said no problem as all you will feel is a small stick. Liar. He forgot to mention it wouldn't take effect until after the injection. It hurt. Finally they did surgery on each foot and I'm nearly pain free now. Now they are talking about putting them in the spine. Don't see how it's going to do anything but cover up the problem and I don't trust these people in the first place.

Used to get the shots in the bottom of my heel. Both feet. I remember the first time they decided to inject my heels. Doc found the general area of pain and drew a circle on the heel. He then found the most sensitive part and marked it with a dot. Then the injection. I had asked if there was going to be something to deaden the pain and of course he said no problem as all you will feel is a small stick. Liar. He forgot to mention it wouldn't take effect until after the injection. It hurt. Finally they did surgery on each foot and I'm nearly pain free now. Now they are talking about putting them in the spine. Don't see how it's going to do anything but cover up the problem and I don't trust these people in the first place.

Damn...

I can't say my problem is/was the same as yours, but I can say I also went to a respected podiatrist who shot my heels up with a cortisone and local anesthetizing-mixture. Three weeks later when the effects of the combined pain-killers had worn off......same problem.

Another doctor then noticed my feet were flat (flat feet!). Christ! We used to make great fun of old folks who had flat feet because of their whinin'! Now....I was one of them.

Make the effort to see if your arches have fallen. If so, it will account for your discomfort (hellacious pain) and is easily remedied by proper orthotics.

Kevin,

Had the shots in both wrists and shoulders. For me, it felt like getting a tetanus shot each time. They did help and did wear off after a while. The combo of shot and PT helped the wrists, but I had to have reconstructive surgery on the shoulder. Hope that it goes well for you and.helps you heal.

Oh, by the way, each session had a different duration of effectiveness for me. Part from my actions (not "resting" the injury.), how bad the injury was and possibly where the shot was given in relation to the injury too. I know that the shoulder lasted about 5 weeks, but I had torn a good chunk of the cartlige loose from the bone. That took 4 staples to put back together. :blink:

Edited by Modoc

My wife has had 4 back surgeries (2 lower & 2 upper) the shots did not help her. She now has a Morphine pump installed just under the skin on her right side that injects Morphine & an Anesthetic into her lower back and she still has pain.