Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quinn vs Cheely vs Cameron

Unregistered

Hello guys!

With my open gun coming in (thanks Thomas!) which has a traditional upright mount on (Dawson), and a desire to shoot both open and production, I'm looking to buy a 90° mount to try out and hopefully make indexing the two easier.

However, living in Canada, I don't have the luxury of buying all 3 brands (I'm looking at Quinn, Cheely, and Cameron) and selling them again when I finally decide... and I'd even have to find someone who will sell it to Canada in the first place!

I'm looking to put this mount on a .38SC full size gun with no poppel holes.

Any comparisons or comments between the 3 would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

I've owned the Quinn I, Quinn II, and the Cheely. For a full size without popple holes, I'd go with the Cheely. It puts the sight a little farther forward which I like. However, in two of my open guns, I have a shorty and a full size with holes. I had to go with the Quinn II to keep the glass somewhat clean and protect it a little more. I did get a Cheely at first and I really liked it but the glass is just too close to the holes.

Both are great quality and will serve you well, you just have to decide if you want the mount a little further forward or rearward.

I've never had the Cameron but I'm not sure if they make it anymore. At least it is not listed on their site (a few months ago when I searched for it).

Good luck

For a full size with no poppel holes I would go with the Cheely, it puts the C-More forward and uncovers the back of the slide so you can rack it. I have 2 of the Quinn I's the old one that is forward and a Cheely, the both seem to be great.

I will say that the Sidemore is easier to master than the upright, YMMV but after six months of struggling wih the upright I went sideways and have not looked back. Now as far as going back and forth, let me know how that works for you. The more open you get, and after a year of not shooting Irons I went back for a visit, it was well humbling, it takes a lot of focus on sights you don't do with a dot, and you catch yourself holding the gun in the Open Index a bit low for the iron sights. Little stuff happens on a steel stage I burned down the first half and after the reload it totally fell apart, yep, that index got me.

You can't go wrong with any of the three as long as you know what design best suits your needs.

I have barrel holes and the Quinn II is the way to go (Reduces the residue on the lens). In addition, the Quinn moves the weight closer to rear. Really like the Quinn racker also. A standard length bull barrel is going to be nose heavy anyway. I have Quinn II setups on both my open guns.

Cameron was selling the mounts from the vendor table at the Nats.

Yeah, I searched again and still did not find the mount on their site. However, when you look at their Open guns section, the pistol listed has one of the 90 degree mounts. Probably have to call them to get it on order.

Hello: Shooters Connection sell all three of the mounts. The Cheely and Cameron move the C-More more forward than the Quinn II. I am going to try the Cameron one I have soon. It gives more room around the mount. I think it will also make mounting the Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]* easier. Thanks, Eric

Cameron's may not have them in stock so they don't list it on the site. I went looking for a silver BAM magwell and it wasn't listed? When I talked to them at Area 2 they said they were working on a fresh batch. So it seems that if they don't have it in stock they don't list it?

Neal in AZ

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

I was also wondering whether any custom fitting would be required (thinning or even worse, thickening...) the mounting portion of the mount in order to properly fit a Caspian hi-cap frame?

For a full size without popple holes, I'd go with the Cheely.

Both are great quality and will serve you well, you just have to decide if you want the mount a little further forward or rearward.

For a full size with no poppel holes I would go with the Cheely, it puts the C-More forward and uncovers the back of the slide so you can rack it. I have 2 of the Quinn I's the old one that is forward and a Cheely, the both seem to be great.

Looks like the Cheely or the Cameron is the way to go!

Cameron was selling the mounts from the vendor table at the Nats.

I'd like to get some dry firing in during the winter, so waiting until July/August will suck :(

Hello: Shooters Connection sell all three of the mounts. The Cheely and Cameron move the C-More more forward than the Quinn II. I am going to try the Cameron one I have soon. It gives more room around the mount. I think it will also make mounting the Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]* easier. Thanks, Eric

I'm looking to put a *thumb rest [generic]* on there too, so do let us know how you like your setup, Eric!

Thanks again guys!

Why would it make it easier? I don't to get off topic but this could be relevant to the original OP question.

I have a Quinn II with the Go Guns standard version on my primary full size Open pistol. I had to play with the position of the mount with the screws to fit my hands/thumb but after that, it's smooth sailing.

Having actively tried all four crooked mounts (add Barry to the list), I went back to vertical, but of the four I liked the Cameron the most, so if I one day decided to go to 90 deg, that would be my pick, without any reservation. Even if you don't use the thumb rest you will appreciate the extra "thumbspace", but if you like the pedal style of the rest then the difference becomes impossible to overlook.

Having actively tried all four crooked mounts (add Barry to the list), I went back to vertical, but of the four I liked the Cameron the most, so if I one day decided to go to 90 deg, that would be my pick, without any reservation. Even if you don't use the thumb rest you will appreciate the extra "thumbspace", but if you like the pedal style of the rest then the difference becomes impossible to overlook.

What do you mean by thumbspace?

And what made you go back to the vertical mount?

It's awesome that there is someone here who has tried all 4 mounts! Is it the thumbspace that makes you recommend the Cameron over the, say, Cheely?

I am Canadian and had to make a similar decision. I use a Cameron's on my STI Trubor, with a CR Speed Thumbrest. It is great. You do not get much residue on the scope and there is sufficient space to rack the slide. It takes 5 minutes to fit. I chose the Cameron's because I didn't like the look of the others. The Cameron's offered me the option of a mount without branding, which I liked. It has worked out well.

By the way, the Cameron's is freely available. I bought mine from Speed Shooters International who offer excellent shipping rates and are accustomed to dealing with Canadians.

Edited by Saffer

What do you mean by thumbspace?

And what made you go back to the vertical mount?

It's awesome that there is someone here who has tried all 4 mounts! Is it the thumbspace that makes you recommend the Cameron over the, say, Cheely?

I made up that word analogous to "head space" - meaning how much room your left thumb has, whether it will bump into the scope mount.

It depends on the hand size, of course. I have pretty long fingers, and with the other mounts my thumb would constantly hit the mount, even with no thumb rest. The situation would get quite uncomfortable with the pedal-type thumb rest, which bends your thumb up - be it RHT, AA or some custom design. In that case there is HUGE difference between the mounts, with Cameron being almost free from interference. The other ones were a problem for me.

I went back to vertical because to my eye the 90 degrees looks way too crooked, and seems to be a solution in a search of a problem. Since I don't have that (parallax) problem, I decided not to suffer the inconveniences of the 90 degree mount.

Finding the ideal location of the support hand thumb can be a bit of a problem. With the old Quinn the thumb rested against the mount but the Cheely is a bit different to solve the problem, I put the non generic Competition Cut *thumb rest [generic]* on the guns 3 of them so far. Now I have a consistent place to put my generic thumb. While shooting my Generic Custom built open guns. The screws that came with the Thumbrest were just barley long enough for the thicker cheely mount, but they did work. I don't know that I shoot any faster with the thumb rest but it definately improved my times to first shot, making the draw more consistent. YMMV, however, the uprights present the same issue, and I ran a Dawson thumbrest on them as well. I sold the last upright mount I had so there is no going back. No regrets.

Edited by CocoBolo

Finding the ideal location of the support hand thumb can be a bit of a problem. With the old Quinn the thumb rested against the mount but the Cheely is a bit different to solve the problem, I put the non generic Competition Cut *thumb rest [generic]* on the guns 3 of them so far. Now I have a consistent place to put my generic thumb. While shooting my Generic Custom built open guns. The screws that came with the Thumbrest were just barley long enough for the thicker cheely mount, but they did work. I don't know that I shoot any faster with the thumb rest but it definately improved my times to first shot, making the draw more consistent. YMMV, however, the uprights present the same issue, and I ran a Dawson thumbrest on them as well. I sold the last upright mount I had so there is no going back. No regrets.

The gun I bought is coming in with that last upright mount you sold ;)

So far I'm leaning towards the Cameron, with a Racers cut *thumb rest [generic]*.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

So far I'm leaning towards the Cameron, with a Racers cut *thumb rest [generic]*.

In that case and that is one heck of a nice gun, shoot it like you get it for a while before you make any changes.

Hello: Here are some pics of the Quinn II(black and the Cameron(silver) mounts. The thumb rest is a Go Guns one. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Awesome, thanks for the comparison photos Eric!

Do let us know how you like the Cameron with the *thumb rest [generic]*, and how it compares to the Quinn!

I have a Quinn on one gun and a Cheely on another; I prefer the Quinn. Good Luck.

Is there any particular reason you prefer the Quinn? Not many people have used different mounts it seems so it'd be great to hear why!

In that case and that is one heck of a nice gun, shoot it like you get it for a while before you make any changes.

I cannot wait for it to get in!

I'm just thinking about everyone's advice in other threads to go with the 90° mount if starting new with open... and I suppose it would be nice to have the 90° on hand to switch back and forth!

Hello: I have not used the Cheely mount but have used the Quinn I on a shorty pistol I had. It would get alot of crap on the front lens from the comp. I changed it out to a Quinn II and the problem went away. I now use a full size open pistol with the Quinn II but wanted a little more thumb room for the Go Guns pedal that is why I am going to try the Cameron mount. I like using a racker and the Cameron may give more room for that also. If you don't use a racker then the Cameron will give you more room for that also. Lots of choices but you may have to try what works best for you. Thanks, Eric

I'm just thinking about everyone's advice in other threads to go with the 90° mount if starting new with open...

Well, surely NOT everyone's. Also, look at the sites of many premier custom gun makers, be it Brazos, Infinity, Limcat, Bedell and many others, and you will see vertical mounts everywhere.

I'm just thinking about everyone's advice in other threads to go with the 90° mount if starting new with open...

Well, surely NOT everyone's. Also, look at the sites of many premier custom gun makers, be it Brazos, Infinity, Limcat, Bedell and many others, and you will see vertical mounts everywhere.

True but that is mainly because that's what been around for decades. The 90 degree mounts are relatively new and seem to be rejected by shooters who got used to the upright mounting method. At every match, I talk to Open shooters all the time about their dot choice and mount and the one thing that seems consistent is that ones that started off with the serendipity or the upright, stayed with it. The shooters that converted over from years of shooting irons (including me), seem to pick up the dot faster since the indexing is about the same. I had a serendipity as my first Open pistol and hated it. I stuck it in the safe since I just did not have the time to practice with it to get used to it. Then when I did a little, it would mess up my iron sight shooting. Then I tired the Cheely mount and I was hooked. Since then, I've tried three different 90 degree mounts and probably would never go back to an upright.

I know you are a big advocate of the uprights and that's your preference. It's all in what you like and what you are comfortable with. I would say try both and see what you like but my money is on the 90 degree mount for a new Open shooter who is used to iron sights.

I'd love it if I could like the upright. If that makes any sense at all...

It just looks so much nicer! And so much more.... "right".

I know most here will say function over form, but there's a reason everyone spends as much as they do to make it look good. If you can't stand to look at the darn thing, how can you shoot it well?

I'm just thinking that $100 is really not much in light of how much the gun is. If it makes it that much better for me coming from a Glock, awesome! If I find that the upright works well for me too, better yet. It really does look a lot nicer!

Just trying to get the right 90° mount to try!