Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best pistol case for flying?

Now that the locking mechanism on the pistol case I used for flying (TZ case) has been busted up by a careless TSA agent( I did send an email of complaint and they never responded), I need a new one.

I want one that can hold 2 pistols, and lock friendly for the TSA agents, and not too expensive in case they repeat their overly defensive(yet destructive) behavior.

Any suggestions? Please include the best web site to buy from.

None of the above.

I just saw a notice at the airport that you must now use a TSA approved lock to lock your luggage if you don't want your lock destroyed. The only thing a more secure bag will do is incite TSA to use more aggressive means to breach the case. Not much point in buying a bank-vault secure gun case if all they're going to do is break out the plasma cutter.

From the thread that shred (sorry for the rhyme) posted, I got the SKB. It's very well built for the price. I went to REI and bought a pack of 2 TSA approved locks for $6, and it's good to go. It's really not going to help stop a determined thief, but it makes it legal.

I think mine came frmo Midway.

I have that same case (SKB) - very good, and I have flown with it.

Although we've covered this in another thread, what I'd do is securely tape an 4x6 index card with your name and cell phone number on the outside of the case asking TSA to page you if they wish to examine the contents of the case.

Altough not quite the same situation, another solution beyond the 4 by 6 card idea to deal with the TSA idiots...carry a copy of the applicable federal law with you.

I deploy my Airmen with M16A2 out of this podunk base fairly regularly. I bought the huge wheeled Pelican hardcases (with the foam already cut for -A2, what nice folks!), and hang padlocks the size of small countries off 'em. Then I hand the Airmen printouts of 14CFR/108. It is easy to keep the idiots from breaking that law at this end, because I'm standing there in uniform...armed...making sure that they follow the rules. However, once they are on their own, they tell me that TSA insists on them leaving the locks...unlocked...when they hand over their luggage at other airports on the way to the interesting places they are going.

So my loyal minions whip out their copy of the pertinent copy of 14/108 and ask why TSA is attempting to force them to break the law. On several occasions when the TSA goon persisted, they asked the goon to please summon the proper authorities in order to arrest the TSA goon for said attempt...

Works like a charm.

Actual results may vary, not for the other use, keep out of children.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

All CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) are available via GPO (Government Printing Office) Access here.

The one of interest here is Title 14 Aeronautics and Space. Part 108 does not exist in the 2004 or 2003 editions. I'm not certain if that means they were not revised or are not applicable anymore. Usually, if the requirement doesn't exist in the newer version I take it to mean that it is no longer a requirement in the rule parts that I typically deal with.

In the 2002 edition you may view 14cfr108:2002. Section 108.217 and 108.219 look interesting. However, these appear to be applicable only to LEO's.

There may be something in Title 27 Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms but I don't have time to look into it right now.

With the creation of the Transportation Security Administration, 14CFR 108 was done away with and replaced with 49CFR 1540 Carriage of Weapons, Explosives, and Incendiaries By Individuals (see here http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.3.7.7.2.10.6).

However, I do not think the text was changed, basically the part was just re-numbered. The relevant portion is 49CFR 1540.111 © (2) (iv) which reads "(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination."

To me this all seems to be a direct contridiction between the TSA pronouncement that all luggage must be unlocked, or locked with their locks (to which they have a master key) and 49CFR 1540.11 © (2) (iv).

In reading the above link as well as some travel info on the TSA website, they pretty much jive. Basically, remember this rule, despite what security may tell you.

You have to declare your firearms to the air carrier, because it is THEIR airplane. They have placed an x-ray tag within your case and as such, if TSA deems it necessary to review what's in your bags, per TSA, they must make every attempt to contact you before entering that bag. Further, they have big X-ray machines, so tell them to use it. The TSA regulations state that even under the need to investigate a suspicious bag, they cannot enter that bag, unless all other means (x-ray, bomb inspection scan, dogs, etc.) have been exhausted.

As much as security will attempt to tell you that once you enter an airport, your civil rights are waived for the sake of security, it is garbage. You can NEVER surrender your civil rights and in this case is the 4th Amendment to the Constitution.

So, I would take both Wakal's advice and carry a copy of the regulations with you, BigDave's advice on the card. Lastly, if the situation escalates while "talking" with TSA, start writing down some names of inspectors and supervisors. Too, make sure that there are no external tags, etc. for any inconsistent markings made by TSA or airline agents, as this is a violation of the law protecting you and me from having our luggage identifiable as having firearms within.

Here is another link to 49cfr1540.111 "Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals."

This is the page you will want to print out and carry with you. This page is in Adobe Acrobat format.

Be sure to read 1540.111 (d) Ammunition.

Thanks JFlowers!

To me this all seems to be a direct contridiction between the TSA pronouncement that all luggage must be unlocked, or locked with their locks (to which they have a master key) and 49CFR 1540.11 © (2) (iv).

Is TSA selling locks to which they hold a master key? If so, I hope the buyers do a web search on "Matt Blaze" and "Master Key" first.

Rob, the new locks (at luggage stores, etc..), are marked TSA approved (etc.), and TSA have keys that fit, so they don't need to cut off the locks.

The locks are pretty cheaply made, it's certainly not for the security of the firearms... just another box checking excercise for the clipboard kings/queens..

I think it's a good reason to add a version of Shreds lock to the case. They can verifu the contents, but not remove the pitol...

Rob, the new locks (at luggage stores, etc..), are marked TSA approved (etc.), and TSA have keys that fit, so they don't need to cut off the locks.

The locks are pretty cheaply made, it's certainly not for the security of the firearms... just another box checking excercise for the clipboard kings/queens..

TSA 1540.111/c/iv: "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination."

Anyone else see a contradiction. I'm calling Jackie Childs! :D

Rich