Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 malfunction

BOOST

Hello all. I had some malfunctions with my G35 this past weekend. Hope someone could help,figure out,or had similar malfunction.

I've been shooting same ammo and gun set-up for about 3000rds without a single hiccup. I clean all my Glocks religously after every match ,

case guage every single ammo ,and dissasemble/clean mags every other match. I dont think its my ammo , its the last 200rds from a lot of 600rds.

But i could be wrong.

G35

KKM Barrrel

Ghost connector

Wolff trigger springs

factory striker

SS guiderod w/

factory recoil spring (3 coils cut)

Dawson sights

JP magwell

10rds. Mags with Lightning Strike base pads

170 SWC (Lee mold micro bands) sized .401

Federal SP

4.4 N320

1.100 " OAL

mixed brass

During the " load and make ready" on my first stage, i did notice a bit more resistance than usual as i pulled the slide back to chamber.

I told the RO " Woah , that didn't feel right. Well, lets see what happens". Well, no problem for the first 3 stages. Malfunctioned on the 4th,

and i was thinking that the mag was the problem. So I tossed that mag in the trunk of my car. Shot the last stage, and it happened again and

again.Went home, inspect all the ammo, all looks ok ...... Tore down the gun and inspect all parts. No cracks on the slide or frame , all parts ok.

The only thing i can think of is the underside of the slide that contacts(rides on the top) of the top round in the magazine. That thin strip had

some nicks. So i stoned the edges smooth and polished it. I wont be able to test fire for the next 2 weeks. Its driving me nuts , so im hoping

someone had any ideas?

malfunction video on youtube " g34classified "

Edited by BOOST

What number followers are on the mags? 10-round Glock mags were notoriously bad in some incarnations. The feed lips were at a shallower angle than the newer ones. Combined with bullets with a LARGE flat on the tip or a large hollow-point, the round would impact too low on the feed ramp and that flat would catch on the bottom edge of the feedramp.

The telling thing would be if you have a "smiley" dent on the front of the offending rounds where it caught on the curved bottom of the ramp.

A weak mag spring can be a culprit also.

Try some full-capacity #6 or later magazines and see if the problem continues.

It is generally very difficult to get SWC bullets to function 100% in a Glock. I used to run a very similar setup to what you are. 170gr LSWC bullets were very accurate and made nice round holes. However, my G35 with KKM barrel used to do the same thing as yours once in a while. Usually a whack on the bottom of the mag would fix it, but finally I got away from SWC's and went to a truncated 180 and the problem went completely away.

Here is just one example...

My link

If you go to the Glock sub-forum and type in SWC you'll get at least a dozen more. Good luck.

ETA: I just read it again and see you have been running the same setup for a while without a problem. So maybe I'm wrong in your case. However, the history of issues with SWC's and Glocks is well documented.

Edited by dsmw5142

#6 mags were the first mags of the line to actually change the feed lip angle to a more bullet-high angle. The #5s and below actually pointed the bullet nose lower on the feed ramp.

6s, 7s, & 8s were designed for the Gen 3. The #9s are the first ones designed for the reversible mag releases of the Gen 4.

Not sure if it's a mag problem...but I could be wrong. If you felt the increased resistance when you were pulling the slide back, you may have an issue with your recoil spring. I see you have a SS guide rod. Check the end of the guide rod. I had one and the washer at the front that acts as a retainer for the spring, wore down and the recoil spring was pushing OVER the washer and binding. I replaced the washer and polished the guide rod a bit and it was fine.

Just something else to check.....

z-

#6 mags were the first mags of the line to actually change the feed lip angle to a more bullet-high angle. The #5s and below actually pointed the bullet nose lower on the feed ramp.

6s, 7s, & 8s were designed for the Gen 3. The #9s are the first ones designed for the reversible mag releases of the Gen 4.

Ok , even though I don’t think it’s the mags(only because the symptom occurred all of a sudden with 3 different mags) I got some new ones with #8 on them . My old mags actually has #1 stamped on the slide stop contact area of the follower,just as the #8s, so I guess they need to retire anyways. Thanks, I learned something there . :cheers:

While inspecting and test functioning, I found that the #8s followers had much less contact area for the slide stop , that sometimes the sharp point of the slide stop would catch the side of the follower instead of the top, causing the mag to get stuck. Adjusting(bending)of the slide stop got that fix.

Not sure if it's a mag problem...but I could be wrong. If you felt the increased resistance when you were pulling the slide back, you may have an issue with your recoil spring. I see you have a SS guide rod. Check the end of the guide rod. I had one and the washer at the front that acts as a retainer for the spring, wore down and the recoil spring was pushing OVER the washer and binding. I replaced the washer and polished the guide rod a bit and it was fine.

Just something else to check.....

z-

Hmmm , I do notice that the ID of the spring is so close to the OD of that washer . I wouldn’t be surprise it could cause problems.

My washer doesn’t seem worn , but I’m gonna keep an eye on it and polish the guide rod anyways.. Thanks . :cheers:

My setup very similar. I too suggest seating longer and installing new mag springs... Original Glock mag springs lasted for several seasons. Replaced with Wolff extra power but two springs didn't last a 2nd season.

I got feeding problems just like yours with tired mag springs...I think the round not popping up fast enough for the slide to catch the round.

Edited by kamikaze1a

My setup very similar. I too suggest seating longer and installing new mag springs... Original Glock mag springs lasted for several seasons. Replaced with Wolff extra power but two springs didn't last a 2nd season.

I got feeding problems just like yours with tired mag springs...I think the round not popping up fast enough for the slide to catch the round.

Howzit ! I was able to get #8 mags . Gonna test tomorrow .

Seat your OAL in 1.130

Longer ? I'd probally try it but I would have to get the chamber cut further.

Just seat the bullet a little longer. The 9mm cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, so you can adjust the COAL with just the seating die.

Seat your OAL in 1.130

Just seat the bullet a little longer. The 9mm cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, so you can adjust the COAL with just the seating die.

Sorry a G35 is a 40 S&W not a 9MM. I have a stock G24 and I run 1.120 w/165gr bullet.

Seat your OAL in 1.130

Sorry a G35 is a 40 S&W not a 9MM. I have a stock G24 and I run 1.120 w/165gr bullet.

DOH! I knew that. I wasn't quite awake when I posted that this morning. :blush:

I have nearly your same setup. I started running 170gr LSWC to shave cost. My OAL sweet spot was 1.135". If it was off too much from that it wouldn't run well, very much like are describing. It seemed almost random but the longer OAL cured it for me.

I have nearly your same setup. I started running 170gr LSWC to shave cost. My OAL sweet spot was 1.135". If it was off too much from that it wouldn't run well, very much like are describing. It seemed almost random but the longer OAL cured it for me.

+1

that 1.130-1.135 is the perfect for my GLOCK 35 too....

+1

that 1.130-1.135 is the perfect for my GLOCK 35 too....

I'm sure that your guys' ammo set up would work on my G35 also. But not all SWC has the same dimensions. 1.100" max OAL works for mines.Longer would already touch the rifling . If I was having pressure problems then I would consider a longer chamber, then going loading longer.Not necessary. My problem is not ammo. Pix of the bullet im using. I cast my own.

post-36086-0-69460800-1323071908_thumb.j

UPDATE:

Shot a match today about 120rds.There were slow fires and hoser type stages(type of stages when symptom occured) Then another 100rds after the match. Not a hiccup. The REAL CAUSE ? Who knows ? I'll let you guys guess that :devil:

- all new mags #8s

- new ISMI 15# recoil spring

- polished guide rod(found minor nicks) / new washer

- Jager striker w/4# spring

- LWD trigger housing w/trigger stop

- polished the feed ramp and underhood

- new plunger spring and bearing

- changed FO from RED to GREEN

- slight adjustment to the slide stop for proper follower contact

- stoned and polished the underside of the slide that had lots

of nicks ,not sure how that happened(see pic)

I guess it was time to overhaul anyways. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

post-36086-0-68897800-1323074577_thumb.j