Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 USPSA 3G Nats...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't at the match but heard nothing but great things about it. I got a call from Katie after day 2 and she told me that this was one of the funnest matches she has shot. When she got home she was more interested in telling me how fun the stages were instead of talking about winning high lady.

She was a little hesitate about going this year because her prom was the same weekend. She decided to go and not go to the prom. When she got home, I asked her was it worth going there instead of going to the prom. Her response was that she couldn't have had a better time than at the match.

My hats are off to the USPSA crew, sounds like you did an outstanding job.

Edited by 1b375

I wasn't at the match but heard nothing but great things about it. I got a call from Katie after day 2 and she told me that this was one of the funnest matches she has shot. When she got home she was more interested in telling me how fun the stages were instead of talking about winning high lady.

She was a little hesitate about going this year because her prom was the same weekend. She decided to go and not go to the prom. When she got home, I asked her was it worth going there instead of going to the prom. Her response was that she couldn't have had a better time than at the match.

My hats are off to the USPSA crew, sounds like you did an outstanding job.

That pretty much sums how I felt about it as well it was better than going to the prom. Seriously, I was very negative about going to the match and only went because my California friends were going to be there, but I was blown away with the shooting fun of the match with some VERY well designed creative stages. The RO'S were like they are at the 3gun nation matches, and the match director was a real stand up guy. 20mph sand gust and cold days were no fun but that was the only negative.

Hey Joe, you know a real loving father would have gone with Katie's boyfirend to the prom so he wouldn't miss out :lol::lol:

Edited by ap3

On the location discussion:

I too am not a fan of Vegas, but a big fan of Desert Sportmen Club. 3gun is unique in that all the really good matches have a regular location whether it is Rockcastle, New Mexico, or Montanna. Don't forget the worst MG national we ever had was when it was being moved around every year or two. I believe you have to leave 3gun matches in one location in order for the local crew to be able to perfect the match over a period of time. To move it now that Desert Sportman is at the apex of the match organization seems like a bad decision.

I also kind of liked having it in April so there was something between Mystery Mountain and Midwest. However the down side is that the Mayor of 3gun was unable to attend.

Charles, you have no idea how wrong you are! I promised myself back in November not to post on this forum unless it was an extraordinary circumstance, well the Nationals have proved to be just that! This was the funnest 3-gun match I have shot in many years. The stages were fantastic, the flying stuff were bonuses as they should have been, all the props were good and properly used! Pete did an outstanding job, as did the rest of everyone involved. This was the equil of the old Mesa matches!

As to the venue, the Desert Sportsman club offers many advantages for hosting matches far beyond all most any other. The main one is the colour of the terrain which is light enough to never need any type of "backer" for long range rifle targets. I for one would welcome shooting at this venue for EVERY 3-gun National Great job USPSA!!!!

Kurt I am glad to hear your remarks and those of Chuck concerning this year's match. But there is more to a national championship than just match quality since USPSA unlike any other 3 gun match has a duty to serve members and you just can not make a valid case that there are no appropriate venues in the east available to host the match. Moreover if we look at the number of entries as any indication of how shooters feel about a match, this one would continue to be second tier.

I hope that has now changed based on your analysis.

Charles, you have no idea how wrong you are! I promised myself back in November not to post on this forum unless it was an extraordinary circumstance, well the Nationals have proved to be just that! This was the funnest 3-gun match I have shot in many years. The stages were fantastic, the flying stuff were bonuses as they should have been, all the props were good and properly used! Pete did an outstanding job, as did the rest of everyone involved. This was the equil of the old Mesa matches!

As to the venue, the Desert Sportsman club offers many advantages for hosting matches far beyond all most any other. The main one is the colour of the terrain which is light enough to never need any type of "backer" for long range rifle targets. I for one would welcome shooting at this venue for EVERY 3-gun National Great job USPSA!!!!

Kurt I am glad to hear your remarks and those of Chuck concerning this year's match. But there is more to a national championship than just match quality since USPSA unlike any other 3 gun match has a duty to serve members and you just can not make a valid case that there are no appropriate venues in the east available to host the match. Moreover if we look at the number of entries as any indication of how shooters feel about a match, this one would continue to be second tier.

I hope that has now changed based on your analysis.

How many of the top shooters that shot it last year chose not to compete this year because of 3GN? It seemed like the field this year lacked some of the depth from last year...

Some of the guys on the Pro Tour just could not do it, especially since many had to shoot Texas the very next weekend, so it sure seems that 3GN had a detrimental affect on the number of competitors at USPSA Nationals. If the match had not been placed right before the CO MG match, I would have gone, but I'm getting the match ready. There are a few diehards that shot Nationals, are now at LaRue and then are coming to the CO match. Three big matches in 3 weeks!

I know from talking to them that the USPSA powers that be are working hard to improve the MG matches, rules, scoring etc., so it is good to see the effort pay off even if the numbers were down.

Did you hear the one about the guy who died and during the tour of Heaven, St. Peter showed him a ratty patch of ground with a gnarly wooden post and a rusty box with the word "Complaints" scratched on the side. The new heavenly resident asks "I thought everything was perfect here?" to which St. Peter replied "Some people can't be happy unless there is something to complain about."

Some of the guys on the Pro Tour just could not do it, especially since many had to shoot Texas the very next weekend, so it sure seems that 3GN had a detrimental affect on the number of competitors at USPSA Nationals. If the match had not been placed right before the CO MG match, I would have gone, but I'm getting the match ready. There are a few diehards that shot Nationals, are now at LaRue and then are coming to the CO match. Three big matches in 3 weeks!

I know from talking to them that the USPSA powers that be are working hard to improve the MG matches, rules, scoring etc., so it is good to see the effort pay off even if the numbers were down.

Did you hear the one about the guy who died and during the tour of Heaven, St. Peter showed him a ratty patch of ground with a gnarly wooden post and a rusty box with the word "Complaints" scratched on the side. The new heavenly resident asks "I thought everything was perfect here?" to which St. Peter replied "Some people can't be happy unless there is something to complain about."

I hope you didnt take my comment as a complaint about the Nationals. Ive had a great time both times I've been to Vegas and had I not had an 11w baby in the house, I would have been there this year as well.

I hope you didnt take my comment as a complaint about the Nationals. Ive had a great time both times I've been to Vegas and had I not had an 11w baby in the house, I would have been there this year as well.

Most certainly not! :cheers: The first paragraph was a response to you, the rest was not.

Edited by MarkCO

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got through editing all the footage I had from the match and made a match video for myself. Take a look if you're interested.

Follow the link to view it in HD or hit play below.

Teaser

Full video

Edited by MustangGreg66