Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring cups

Red Ryder

Yes they are plastic. And by the way, they are very easy to lose so order you a spare set .

sets, make it sets....

I am making a list for my emergency G17 repair kit. Besides spring cups, can you recommend any other "must have" spare items?

Yes they are plastic. And by the way, they are very easy to lose so order you a spare set .

sets, make it sets....

I am making a list for my emergency G17 repair kit. Besides spring cups, can you recommend any other "must have" spare items?

While I have a few items in my kit, the only two I have ever needed were a new trigger spring and fiber optic rods for my front sight. Other than those, I have not had anything else break on my glocks. In my kit I just have extra striker springs - in fact, I have two striker sets ready to drop in should the need arise. Extra connectors - just because I have collected them over the years, recoil springs, assorted pins and trigger springs. They are in my range bag because that is the best place (for me) to store spare parts.

I have lost cups when cleaning my gun, but I don't clean it at the range, just pass a bore snake through it on rare occasions.

Trigger spring, new striker spring, plus one heavier than what you run. Trigger pins. Front sight with screw and tool.

I've not needed these myself, but have handed these out several times. I carry more actually, but probably overkill.

If you are serious about shooting a spare everything, backup gun. If you drive more than a hundred miles and plan on burning 200 to 300 rounds of ammo at a match with $100 entry fee a spare gun makes sense if you can afford it. A bad day cause your gun pukes or front sight goes MIA can really add up especially if you have a hotel bill involved. I have seen trigger return springs break and two front sights come loose and one break off while a guy was moving from one position to another. If you are running a lightened striker, carry the stock with a spring as reserve.

Several trigger springs, especially if you're using extra powers.

A couple striker springs-- perhaps more, if you have light strike issues.

Extractors!

Extractor plunger springs.

Spring cups.

A striker sleeve.

A striker.

Plunger springs, because they're cheap.

Pins.

Mag springs galore.

An extra mag body or two.

Followers, inserts and butt plates.

Mag release.

Recoil springs (or complete assemblies, for ease of use in a pinch).

Front sights if you're using the factories-- or FO rod, if not.

Trigger housing, for the ejector.

Slide stop lever.

Glock tool.

Any allen keys you need for sights, overtravel stops, etc.

I keep entire assemblies on hand for immediate drop ins-- all of which have been fired quite a bit and are known to run 100%. In ~40k rounds, I've had to replace 2 trigger springs and one slide stop lever (thanks to a spring I think I busted during cleaning). I swapped out 13lb recoil springs a couple of times for giggles, and am on my first set of replacement mag springs (which were switched from factory to Wolff extra powered). I've seen extractors worn down and rusted plunger springs more than once. I had a mag body I thought was going sideways, so I added that to my list. (Actually just picked up more mags!)

A lot of things on that list are in case you lose something during detail strip. I spent some time on the ground looking for spring cups and plunger springs that was unnecessary. At a match, with your time in the box rapidly approaching, you'll not only be more prone to rushing and dropping stuff, but won't have the time to spend scouring the dirt for a tiny little lost part!

If you are serious about shooting a spare everything, backup gun.

+1 Once I started traveling to matches, I bought a spare G34 and set it up just like my first G34. I would rather grab a second gun out of the bag than start stripping down a pistol at some safe table rushing to diagnose and fix whatever choked the first gun. Even if I did fix the first one, my confidence in it would be lower when I stepped back up to the line... especially since I would probably not have a chance to test fire it for function.

-Randy

If you are serious about shooting a spare everything, backup gun.

+1 Once I started traveling to matches, I bought a spare G34 and set it up just like my first G34. I would rather grab a second gun out of the bag than start stripping down a pistol at some safe table rushing to diagnose and fix whatever choked the first gun. Even if I did fix the first one, my confidence in it would be lower when I stepped back up to the line... especially since I would probably not have a chance to test fire it for function.

-Randy

Using a backup/replacment gun requires RM approval FIRST. Personally I would rather find out what caused the first gun to puke than to grab another with the same parts and have it puke also. I don't carry a spare C-More so if it pucked I would have to go to a different gun.

-Randy

Using a backup/replacment gun requires RM approval FIRST. Personally I would rather find out what caused the first gun to puke than to grab another with the same parts and have it puke also. I don't carry a spare C-More so if it pucked I would have to go to a different gun.

Correct, I assumed that anyone shooting a USPSA match would follow USPSA rules regarding changing guns during a match. If you're implying that the RM might not allow the replacement gun, I have a hard time picturing that conversation... "My G34 puked, so I would like to use my G34 back-up gun to finish the match... is that alright?" I can't picture a RM under the sun saying "No".

As far as diagnosing a broken gun... What if you strip it down and find a broken trigger spring? That was easy, replace the spring. But what if there was a burr that popped up that caused the spring to break? Now your freshly replaced trigger spring is broken in the same gun. It may be easy to diagnose what happened, but it's not always easy to diagnose why it happened. I would much rather just go to another pistol that I know has worked up to that point, and then do diagnosis/repairs later (off the clock). Since we're in the Glock forum and I'm a Glock shooter, I would assume that the likelihood of a part breaking in both guns at the same time is pretty low. Glock Perfection, and all that jazz!

Just my opinion... :cheers:

-Randy

Glock Perfection is the same as saying "it's close enough for government work" supposedly meaning a high standard. But everything from NASA down to a toilet seat is built by the lowest bidder and remember the scandal about the $50 toilet seat and $20 hammer. As a parachutist I am on a first name basis with MR. MURPHY. If a part can break it will and the most important part will break first and at the most inopportune time.