Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Numbers

BigDave

[inane Story Mode ON]

So there I am, writing a new desktop/shell environment for Windows NT.  It is meant to be used with a touchscreen computer on the floor of a manufacturing plant.  One of the key features is that it can be partially locked down, giving users access to a few job-related functions the sys admin gives them.   This requires a password, which then brings one to the obvious conclusion that a "backdoor" master password will come in handy for when the Sys Admin inevitably forgets his.

The inevitable came to pass and my boss called me.

"What's the backdoor password for the new Windows shell?"

(It would be appropriate to note here that my boss ran his own professional rock and roll band on the side and had been playing music for 40 years of his life.)

I say, "O.K. let's say your chillin' out in your beanbag chair, listening to Tommy Two Tone on the old K-Tel records, and suddenly, you have an urge to call, oh, say....Jenny.  What number would you dial?"

"Uuuuhhhh......I dunno."

Sigh........

(Edited by EricW at 9:42 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

EricW,

We used to use that exact same password but one of our tech's is from the middle east and had never heard the song so he could never remember it.  The best part was the day he asked someone for the pw and they sang it to him and he replied "what is with that singing?  You all do it and I don't know why!"

-ld

As one of my time consuming and money taking hobbies besides IPSC is I play in a band. I also sing 867-5309 and it still goes over real well. Did I blow it and give away the secret password?

PS If its a rowdy crowd I change it to a different number at the end of the song.

70 - 1 =

(Edited by BSeevers at 5:44 pm on Feb. 6, 2003)

Huh...the safe I encountered in Vegas operated with any magnetic stripe card.  

We were all drunk, so I thought it was a refrigerator, and locked all the beer in it.  Then I didn't want to use a credit card because I thought it might get charged, so I used my Ralph's Supermarket discount card.  

I was glad the beer was safe, but man my friends were pissed that it wasn't cold!

DD

T. Tutone came to Anchorage in 1982 and brought the (equivalent-of-a-large-banquet-hall-in-the-Hilton-here-in-Eugene) down with that song. People were standing on their chairs jumping up and down (and a few falling off, of course)(this before the days when they'd likely rather have been throwing the chairs).

T.T. sang it twice.

:)