Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol in the Freezer

Was watching TV the other night the new Hawaii 5-0. This old seal kept his .45 in the freezer. Would you? I got to thinking that if like him you went into your place and knew a bad guy was inside (your in already) The normal thing when you first get home is go to the fridge and get yourself a beverage. What better way to get your protection (other then having it on you) then to open the door and it's in your hand. Now the question has anyone ever frozen their pistol? Pros and cons. I'm liking the Idea BUTTT....

As soon as you pull it out of the freezer in anywhere remotely humid it frosts over. That would suck for both operation (mmm.. frosty lube) and clear sights, as well as requiring detailed cleaning later to avoid rust.

Put it in completely dry. Nothing to freeze. You only need it once. Mine is in the liquor cabinet, usually the first place I go when I get home. :cheers:

I just watched that episode. I guess he went for a swim while wearing it before storing it in the freezer as it was frosted over pretty good.

Put it in completely dry. Nothing to freeze. You only need it once. Mine is in the liquor cabinet, usually the first place I go when I get home. :cheers:

I just watched that episode. I guess he went for a swim while wearing it before storing it in the freezer as it was frosted over pretty good.

The frost comes from atmospheric humidity condensing and freezing on the metal (I've heard they have a lot of that in Hawaii), so you still get frosted. And if you leave it in without any wrap, it will accumulate frost over time like everything else. Maybe if you used a dry-lube or teflon coating or something.

I'm thinking by that point, in the bottom of the bowl of dry beans with some tape over the muzzle might be a better option ;)

OK, why does he keep drinks in the freezer? Put it in the refrigerator, will still condensate moisture, but won't freeze to your hand when you pick it up.

By the way, Royal Purple 85w90 gear oil will pour at 0 degrees F.

Hurley

OK, why does he keep drinks in the freezer?

Hurley

'Cause that's the best place to keep Patrón.

Seems that the refrigerator would be a bad place -- most refrigerators are exposed in the kitchen, so if you want to go to the Tactical Home Defense Ninja mode (not to be confused with the Mall Ninja mode), you have to break cover. Not good unless you are wearing tile-pattern camo.

Better to put a hollowed-out stack of reading mags next to the toilet, and hide your blaster inside. :ph34r: