Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which 617

fudd

• 1 month later...

Any metalsmith with a milling machine can cut the barrel down. I too found the 6" barrel heavy. I had it cut to 3" and had a Weigand front sight base installed. Actually, it is still too muzzle heavy for my taste, but it is nice handling revo now.

I once had to make the 6 or 10 decision as well and ended up going with the 10. I use my 617 as a trainer because I run a 686 and 625 in comps, and 22 is a whole lot cheaper to send downrange even though I cast and reload. I chose a 4" because that's what my others are as well. Basically I use it in two ways- accuracy/speed training (no drawing, etc) and then drawing and going through little homemade courses. If I'm practicing speed/accuracy, I load ten and shoot ten. If practicing in a mock course, I load ten but only shoot 6.

All that said to say this- the extra rounds won't confuse you but rather help you keep a mental check on round count, another practice that is really good to master.

I leave the black partridge on mine and run a gree FO on my 686 and a red FO on my 625. Keeps my brain busy when shooting.

So, 4" 10rd is my suggestion ;)

I've got a 6 shot Model 18 that I love, but what I'd really like is a 10 shot 617 with a 6" half lug barrel like on a Model 17 or K22. That'd give you the sight radius of the longer barrel but without the sluggishness.

I've got a 6 shot Model 18 that I love, but what I'd really like is a 10 shot 617 with a 6" half lug barrel like on a Model 17 or K22. That'd give you the sight radius of the longer barrel but without the sluggishness.

Having shot both, I really don't see the point of longer barrel revolvers. Not saying I would want a 2" but I think the sight radius is much more important in Limited. I don't think there is anything I could do with a 6" half lug that I couldn't do with a 4" full lug. I have thought of making PC style cuts since I have access to a mill, but that is for looks not performance.

Lee

Hey guys, thanks for all of your in put. I have found a 617, 4", 10 shot owned by a forum member. I am in the process of getting it shipped to my FFL in Cal.

Again want to thank you for your opinions and input, it has been and enjoyable and informative read.

Jerry :cheers:

As gr7070 indicated this 617-1 was built by S&W Performance in 1998. S&W shipped 306 units to a German distributor Wischo

I was lucky to find it on the www at a German gun dealer in Jan of 2011. It took 3 months ( paperwork ) to import it to Georgia.

Great balance vs my 617 6" full underlug. Balances much like my 617 4" & 627 PC.

I'm not too big a fan of the SSR barrel even though I have a 627, but one in 617 is pretty cool. The shoes don't hurt it any either.

i would like to know which is better speed loader. for these guns in 10 shot. the California competition works or the DS or the other one that i can not remember the name of. i want to buy 5 of these for my wife so she can shoot a 22 match

thanks for the info

i would like to know which is better speed loader. for these guns in 10 shot. the California competition works or the DS or the other one that i can not remember the name of. i want to buy 5 of these for my wife so she can shoot a 22 match

thanks for the info

This question will open a can of worms and tempers if the history of the forum has taught us anything. I will say I have the DS-10s and they are great products. Also, of you have a loading block like the ones in a pelican case that Bob sells you can do with just two loaders. I am sure others will have more to say about your question but I will leave it right there.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45