Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G24 solid top slide

ksmirk

Fella's thinking since it's getting on the cooler time of year that I might try my hand at building a pistol. I'm just getting back into the USPSA and trying my hand at 3-gun, I've been loaned a G24 and have shot several pistols and the G24 just fits (mainly my budget) the STI's are awesome pistols but well my piggy bank is not that fat! I'll be shooting limited and would like to build a pistol that's a little different than every other black Glock out there so I was looking to find a solid top slide so I could customize it a touch but can't find a slide in stock anywhere so here are some questions;

Would a G20LS slide work on a G24?

What aftermarket slide should I stay away from?

What would be my best barrel choice?

I've built several rifles before but I've never been much of a pistol guy so I appologize if these are stupid questions, I'd rather just build this once with the best stuff I can afford. In advance thanks fella's for the advice. Later,

Kirk

Hey GT, is Heath a member on Boomer Shooter? I'd sure like to pick his brain as a solid top G24 slide is like finding a unicorn. I don't know Heath so if you could point him out to me next time I see ya that would be awesome. Later,

Kirk

Patrick, what my thought process is since the 10mm and 40sw are so dang close in size and the G24 slides are out of stock until who knows when if the G20LS slide would work on the G24, truth I'm thinking they are the same but then again I'm not Glock smith so thought I would ask to see if anyone has done this before to see about saving a little bit of a headache. Later,

Kirk

Patrick, what my thought process is since the 10mm and 40sw are so dang close in size and the G24 slides are out of stock until who knows when if the G20LS slide would work on the G24, truth I'm thinking they are the same but then again I'm not Glock smith so thought I would ask to see if anyone has done this before to see about saving a little bit of a headache. Later,

Kirk

I have a G35 and have owned G24's, the real "cheater" gun is the G20 with a 40SW barrel.

If you can handle the fat frame then a G20 with the long slide and conversion barrel might be very sweet!

I don't think I would use the solid slide, too bloody heavy. But each to their own.

Patrick

Good points! didn't think about that sizes being different.

The thinking behind the solid slide would be to do a little mill work and lighten things back up.

I like the idea of the G20 with a conversion barrel, I had a P-14 and it fit well so that might be an option. Would you mind sending me a PM with the details? I'd apprciate the information for sure. Later,

Kirk

I'll see if I can't get with Heath and see what he has done. The more I look into this I'm thinking you guys are right about just sticking with the G24, while I would like a custom machine a slide might just have to wait awhile to get a solid slide to machine but get a G24 now and worry about the rest later.

Thanks fella's for helping with my hair brained idea and putting up with someone who doesn't know pistols all that well YET :-) Later,

Kirk

• 3 weeks later...

Kirk, I can tell you from personal experience that a G20 with a .40 conversion barrel is very nice. I have one as a back up to my G35. I am a fan of the 10mm and have a good plinking round I have came up with for it. Also in a jam you can shoot a .40 short and weak out of the 10mm barrel, I just wouldnt do it on a regular basis. With the conversion barrel in mine and using the same load I use in my 35 it is awsome. Little recoil and the gun is very steady. Mine has a Dawson fiber optic on front and adjustable on rear. I also have a Carver magwell on it and did my own trigger. I also use this as a house gun. I have shot ALOT of Double Tap 10mm rounds through it and let me tell you these were real 10mm rounds. All in all it has been one of the best pistols I have bought. It just seems to do everything for me. Yes it is heavy but it makes for a very good beer can and nut crusher! I also have a 17 that I made a open gun out of and betwwen the three the 20 does fit my hands better. I too will be buying a long slide from Lone Wolf for the 20 with two different barrels. One 10mm barrel cause I want to make a shooter that will go the distance and a 40 barrel. Might make me put the 35 in the safe for good!

So would the 6" G20 converted to .40 be legal in Limited? Isn't there something about a min number of parts being built to allow it in the division? LW has probably made enough, but just a thought that poped into my head.

I should be getting my G20 in about a month and I'm thinking over mods/upgrades already :D

Well I picked up a Gen2 G22 last week worked on the trigger some and went shooting with a buddy, he has it at his house now :blush: BUT the change he gave me I brought home a brand spankin' new G24 today ;) The more I thought about it and spoke with some folks around the decision just made more sense! the G24 I have on loan though the slide fit and worked awesome on the Gen 2 G22 frame.

Kinda kick myself for selling the G22 now but I know where I can get more when the funds become availiable but I figure for now might as well spend the cash on what I plan on shooting I'll just have to be extra careful when working on the brand new pistol :devil: and NOT screw up!

Fella's thanks for the advice and suggestions, opinions I appreciate it greatly. Later,

Kirk

So would the 6" G20 converted to .40 be legal in Limited? Isn't there something about a min number of parts being built to allow it in the division? LW has probably made enough, but just a thought that poped into my head.

I should be getting my G20 in about a month and I'm thinking over mods/upgrades already :D

Trey a search of the Glock section here. There should be a thread talking about the LW slides being produced in the proper numbers to be Limited/L-10 legal.

I just finished my G20 6" LW .40 conversion. It has the solid top. Trust me, this isn't as simple as swapping parts but with a little luck and a Dremel you don't need a gunsmith. I replaced the 10MM ejector with a Zev extended. It now kicks the brass to the right instead of in my face but is causing it to jam. I load at 1.120 OAL and I'm going to go to 1.110. Also if you try it use a 13lbs recoil spring. 15 to heavy 11 to light. I love the recoil out of this gun and with grip tape filling in the FG and the Zev magwell it feels alot like my STI. If anyone has played with this conversion please post anything you have done. I'm considering getting the slide lightened.