Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P FS 9mm accuracy

SPR1

I've got vintage from 4-5 yrs old 4 1/4" to a month or two ago 5" all in 9mm. They seem to shoot the same. I use either 147gr lead or 125 Hornady HAP bullets. Depends on indoor or out etc. They all shoot about the same, 2 1/2 to 3" groups with the good handload at 25 yds. Never felt like I missed a plate or A zone because of gun. Hope this helps

hmm accuracy is in the eye of the beholder, all mine i sure shoot better than i do. but trigger work really helped me tighen up my group size. if i can hold still 4 and 5 inch plates at about 12-15 yards are not a problem. of course this when we psctice and there is no buzzer! :rolleyes:

I have a 9mm FS with a 6/10/11 fired casing I picked up in July of this year.

It won't shoot 10-rd groups of 124-125 grain bullets into <=5" @25 yards, no matter the load, and still make PF. And the groups are strung vertically. POA / POI is high about 6" as well @ 25 yards.

However, I recently tested it with 115 gr Fed American Eagle factory ammo and it put down a 2.2" and a 2.5" 10-rd group back to back from a rest at 25 yards. There was no vertical stringing at all, just nice clover leaves. POA / POI was only an inch or so high, just where I wanted. Mine seems to really prefer the lighter and faster rounds. If 115 gr was the bullet weight I preferred to shoot, I'd be a happy camper.

hmm accuracy is in the eye of the beholder,

Of all the factors we deal with that determine whether we like a gun or not... Accuracy is the one objective factor - that is, it's most definitely not in the eye of the beholder ;) The shooter's ability to drive the gun does not change it's mechanical accuracy potential....

Mine was received in June. It had fairly poor accuracy with a variety of factory loads when I received it, ranging from 5" to 9" at 20y. The only ammo it did better with was Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Short Barrel - that would do 3.5" at 20y. After a trip back to S&W, it's quite a bit better - with the Gold Dot load, it does 2" at 25y, now. WWB still does 5", but now at 25y rather than 20y. American Eagle 124g and 147g both do 3" at 25y - both hit higher than POA, with the 147s being 8 or so inches high, the 124s about 4" high. Federal branded 115gr stuff got worse... It used to hold a 9" group - now it won't even hold an IPSC target at 25y surprise.gif So, I think I'll be avoiding 115gr stuff except for up-close practice....

I've been shooting FS 9mm and 40SW for a couple years. It's probably me, but I can't get less than 4" groups at 25 yards no matter what I load. I'm sure better shooters with their "pet" loads get great results but I just accept that my guns run fine and I have fun shooting them.

A top shooter recently posted his opinion here, #1187:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66213&st=1175

Top shelf Indians need Top shelf arrows, I can manage well enough with the M&P.

For the price the M&P's are good guns.

Smith changed the barrel for commonality with the compact and now the full size guns and 5" guns unlock prematurely. Hence the vertical stringing. My 5" sucked out of the box. 5-6" groups at 20-25 yds. I dropped in a KKM barrel and the groups shrank to 2-3", or solid Glock territory. The 115's shoot poorly, Federal 124 AE shoots the best.

My understanding is that Smith is working on unscrewing the accuracy problem that they are getting more and more bad press on.

I want to buy a 4.25" gun, but won't until they sort it out.

That said, I love my 5" Pro, and with the KKM barrel, shoot it better at speed than my Glock 34.

Smith changed the barrel for commonality with the compact and now the full size guns and 5" guns unlock prematurely. Hence the vertical stringing.

Source? Not to knock ya, but I have first run of M&P 9pro (with had broken striker pin) and a newer M&P 9pro and both shoot under 3 inches for me with my loads at 25 yards with rest.

hmm accuracy is in the eye of the beholder,

Of all the factors we deal with that determine whether we like a gun or not... Accuracy is the one objective factor - that is, it's most definitely not in the eye of the beholder ;) The shooter's ability to drive the gun does not change it's mechanical accuracy potential....

Mine was received in June. It had fairly poor accuracy with a variety of factory loads when I received it, ranging from 5" to 9" at 20y. The only ammo it did better with was Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Short Barrel - that would do 3.5" at 20y. After a trip back to S&W, it's quite a bit better - with the Gold Dot load, it does 2" at 25y, now. WWB still does 5", but now at 25y rather than 20y. American Eagle 124g and 147g both do 3" at 25y - both hit higher than POA, with the 147s being 8 or so inches high, the 124s about 4" high. Federal branded 115gr stuff got worse... It used to hold a 9" group - now it won't even hold an IPSC target at 25y surprise.gif So, I think I'll be avoiding 115gr stuff except for up-close practice....

well, i do understand what you are saying, but the reason i say it is in the eye of the beholder, some people are very happy to be able to shoot a 4-5" group at 25 yards where another would be very upset the shot group if he was shooting 2-3" at 50 yards. i just want to hit my targets at IDPA or USPSA matches so if got all my hits (no mikes or misses) then i feel like i shot with accuracy.

Smith changed the barrel for commonality with the compact and now the full size guns and 5" guns unlock prematurely. Hence the vertical stringing.

Source? Not to knock ya, but I have first run of M&P 9pro (with had broken striker pin) and a newer M&P 9pro and both shoot under 3 inches for me with my loads at 25 yards with rest.

The early ones, prior to the introduction of the compact were fine. The later ones are hit or miss (pun intentional) for accuracy. That is one reason I got lucky with my drop in barrel, others report no improvement from a drop in. There have been detailed discussions on replacement barrels and M&P problems on M4c and pistol-forum. The early unlocking is actually very broadly known. The best data comes from Randy Lee of Apex tactical fame. He has performed high speed video tests to document the early unlocking and is developing a gunsmith fit Barsto barrel to cure it. This is on the Apex website blog.

Like I said, I love the M&P platform. I believe it has incredible potential.

i just pickup up the carry kit in 9MM last week.i took it to the range yesterday

and put 20 rounds thru it. they were my own reloads and they all shot fine.

i was not looking for accuracy at this point, my trigger pull guage shows

11.130#, real nice. i intend to drop in an APEX kit and the RAM. I think the

pull should change dramatically. I intend to shoot IDPA with it.

any recommendations for sights, or should i leave them alone.

thanks,

FT

11.130#, real nice.

11# trigger pull? surprise.gif What am I missing, cause that's over double what they usually show up at... (usually at 5-5.5# from the factory)

i intend to drop in an APEX kit and the RAM. I think the

pull should change dramatically.

Check out my blog (http://re-gun.com) - I've been doing some articles on my M&P and experiences in stalling the Apex parts, etc. I have some more articles to come out shortly on it that will detail the config that I ended up with...

any recommendations for sights, or should i leave them alone.

You want new sights. I really like the Dawson Charger sights, personally - very nice sight picture, very solid sights, and useful for one hand slide manipulation. I put a .145" rear and .115" target front on mine, which gives a perfect mix of front sight width and light bars...

I just got an M&P 5" pro and it seems to shoot ok, although I have not tested it yet at 25yds on a rest. I am concerned about the amount of play between the frame and slide. it can be moved a 16th of an inch(maybe less) or so I would guess from side to side. My Glocks and XD have almost no movement. I did have a Walther P99 that moved like this one does, so maybe it is a S&W thing. Do you think this will affect accuracy?