Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" iron sight set up

rishii

Guys I could use some help

I'm getting back into shooting limited after being a dedicated open guy for the past 6 years, and have a 6" 40 being built

All the parts are here or ordered except the sights, I'm ordering a Tripp rear, dawson front but

I don't have a clue how tall or wide a front sight to order

Any help would be appreciated

I've got a 0.180" tall/ 0.100" wide front sight and it works great. With the adjustable rear, you've got a bit of leeway on how tall you want yours to be. But 0.180" is a good middle ground that allows plenty of vertical adjustment.

The width is more of a personal preference. I like a thin front sight and the 0.100" wide paired on my 6" gun gives a really nice sight picture. But again, some guys like a wider front sight.

Have a .100 on the gun and it just isnt working for me at all. Have to check to see if dawson can make a 110 to give a try. If not, I think im gonna go .125 front and .135 rear. I know alot like the narrow front and a ton of daylight but for me at least I was all over the place with that sight and couldnt track it well at all and accuracy was awful.

My sight cut is the "freedom" cut. STI round slide, tritopped. Its a special dawson sight for that specific cut. They can make me a special one to height/width for an extra 20 bucks {45 total for the black sight}. Just deciding between 110 and 125.

180 by 100 is a good standard

180 by 85 can be had by Caspian

180 by 110 also works if you like less light (this would be like a 100 on a 5 inch gun)

I also use the K-1 on my 6 inch, and currently have a 85 from Caspian (Tripp's are 116 rear notch unless they open it up for you)

My new build will have a K-1 with a 100 just to see if i like it.