Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor - new reloader needs ideas

Marc82Much

I bought a used Redding Turret Press. With it came 4 lbs of VV 320, and 1,000 Lead Bayou Bullets - 147. I have been collecting my brass for some some, now it is time to try my hand at hand loading.

Since I shoot a Springfield 9mm XDM 5.25 Comp, and I already have the bullets, brass and powder, what recipe might you recommend? I am only interested in IDPA and USPSA shooting, at this time.

Also, what reloading book might you suggest as a reference and background for recipes, etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Marc82Much

Build a dummy round (no powder, no primers) of the correct over all length (OAL) that you end up trying first. In my XDM 5.25, the longest OAL I can use is 1.110" with Precision 147gr bullets. I'm not sure how the Bayou 147gr compares to the Precisions I'm using, but it's a fair bet you have similar issues.

If I could, I'd load 147gr moly bullets at 1.125" with 3.2 gr of Solo 1000 and WSP primers. It's a well known soft shooting load, assuming your pistol can take the 1.125" OAL.

Do you really have a Comp on your pistol? If so, it will be illegal for IDPA.

Obviously he isn't trying to make major with a fast powder and a heavy bullet, it will go kaboom before it makes major. I've shot my Major 9 Open gun in IDPA, they call it outlaw division, course when I ran the stage in 7 seconds and the best IDPA guy ran it in 30 well it raised some eyebrows.

For our loader though get them as long as possible and start out with 3.1 or 3.2gr of N320, if you can get to 1.145 that would be optimal. Crono and look for pressure signs and adjust accordingly.

Nothing wrong with a lee turret but keep a close eye on your powder drops.

I recommend Lyman manual, but at the same time, Hogdon's has a pretty comprehensive cookbook online.

Here is my recipe:

SNS 125 grain lead round nose

3.2 Grain of Clays powder

I have had no problems.

Clays is not recommended with heavy bullets in 9mm.

I recommend Lyman manual, but at the same time, Hogdon's has a pretty comprehensive cookbook online.

Here is my recipe:

SNS 125 grain lead round nose

3.2 Grain of Clays powder

I have had no problems.

Clays is not recommended with heavy bullets in 9mm.

Shoot some groups at 25 yards and 50 yards and tell us about the accuracy.

Lucky guy...the 147 Bayou Bullet is my favorite load. My gaming load is 3.8gr N330 @1.135 for that bullet. PF is 135 out of my P226 and it is the most accurate load out of my gun. VV does not recommend N320 for a bullet heavier than 130gr but I know some guys here load it. If I were you, I would start my load development at 3.0gr of N320 and work your way up. I suspect your final load will be around 3.3-3.4 range to get the velocity you need. I agree with CocoBolo above - which is why I am shooting at 135pf - laser accurate at 25 yards.

Caliber: 9mm

Powder: 3.5gr Vihtavuori N320

Bullet: 147gr Precision Bullets (Molly coated lead)

Case: Winchester

Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

OAL: 1.141

Out of my M&P 9L this yields around a 135 power factor.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Caliber: 9mm

Powder: 3.5gr Vihtavuori N320

Bullet: 147gr Precision Bullets (Molly coated lead)

Case: Winchester

Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

Out of my M&P 9L this yields around a 135 power factor.

I did my first ten reloaded bullets. I used:

Powder: 3.4gr Vihtavuori N320

Bullet: 147gr Hornady HP/XTP

Case: Range Brass

Primer: Federal Match Small Pistol

I took them to the range and loaded them into my Springfield 9MM XDM 5.25. They all fired, and cycled properly.

I bought 1,000 Bayou Bullets 147gr (Moly coated cast lead) but have not used them yet. I bought 100 of the Hornady to learn with because VV has published loads for that particular bullet. Now that I have actually set up my gear and processed 10 real reloads, I am feeling a little more confident.

I will try your load when start on the Bayou Bullets.

Thanks.

I did my first ten reloaded bullets. I used:

Powder: 3.4gr Vihtavuori N320

Bullet: 147gr Hornady HP/XTP

Case: Range Brass

Primer: Federal Match Small Pistol

I took them to the range and loaded them into my Springfield 9MM XDM 5.25. They all fired, and cycled properly.

That OAL is much longer than most 9mm XDMs allow, you're probably into the rifling when you're chambering each round. If you remove your barrel from the slide and drop that round into the chamber, does the round freely drop in? Does it freely fall out of the chamber when you turn the barrel upside down?

You may be running a very ragged edge here, be very careful. If you're loading the rounds into the rifling, you're probably setting the bullet back into the case. This raises pressure and increases risks.

I would agree with Ihatepickles that the OAL you are using sounds long for the XDm 5.25. I use Precision Moly 147g and have been using an OAL of 1.12. However, I see you are using Hornady XTP JHP's so the ogive may well be different and will let you use a longer OAL. Just give it the barrel check Ihatepickles describes above and see if the ammo passes.

Edited by The_Vigilante

It could easily be that the ogive profile of the XTP is keeping the bullet off of the rifling, as IIRC, it's a pretty sharp "cone" shape.

EVERY TIME you switch projectiles, you should establish the max safe OAL (leaving yourself at least .010 buffer for discrepancies-- with .015 being better). I definitely suggest that moving to an LRN from any HP.

I've heard that in most cases, the gun simply won't feed or go properly into battery if you've got too long of a bullet. It'd take a REAL stroke of bad luck to have it chamber and be touching the rifling-- but it CAN happen, and you don't want it to be you who draws the short straw.

That said, because I load my rounds long, I insist that anyone who wants to try my load pull their barrel and let me drop/spin check it, just to be sure. No reason to tempt fate!

In many cases, the magazines will be the limiting factor. My G17 for example could safely take 1.180+ (IIRC-- have it written down somewhere), but the mags choke on anything past 1.165, leaving me loaded at 1.160 for some breathing room. Others pistols however are the opposite-- the XDm and CZ being the most notable in our sport.

IOW-- be careful! :cheers: