Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

134A adapter

Chris Kimble

I have a TM G17 on order that should arrive next week. Im really looking forward to trying it out. But, I jumped into this whole airsoft training thing without looking first, it would seem. And Im having a lot of trouble finding useful information pertaining to gas and gas accessories. As I understand it, guns with plastic slides are more safely operated using 134A as opposed to propane/green gas. So my question is, where exactly can I find an adapter for 134A gas so I can shoot this gun when it arrives!

Brent,

Is propane any better on the environment, or personal health? I would imagine that each have their drawbacks. I've read about Duster Gas being used in the same guns as 134A, but on the same token....I cant figure out what adapters are intended for it. Propane adapters are easy to find, guess I may have to drop another couple hundred and upgrade to a metal slide if I cant find what I need, lol!

Brent,

Is propane any better on the environment, or personal health? I would imagine that each have their drawbacks. I've read about Duster Gas being used in the same guns as 134A, but on the same token....I cant figure out what adapters are intended for it. Propane adapters are easy to find, guess I may have to drop another couple hundred and upgrade to a metal slide if I cant find what I need, lol!

I have been around a few A/C hoses when they blew and it gave me a headache.

Brent

Fair enough guys. Thanks for the input. Im still baffled that many of the sources I find, claim that the plastic slide on the TM G17 will break if you use green gas or propane. Guess they made a gun that you cant find propellant for, lol! Are there any other alternatives?

The search continues!

Fair enough guys. Thanks for the input. Im still baffled that many of the sources I find, claim that the plastic slide on the TM G17 will break if you use green gas or propane. Guess they made a gun that you cant find propellant for, lol! Are there any other alternatives?

The search continues!

Some folks offer modified magazines that allow you to use propane. What brand is your TM G17?

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Some folks offer modified magazines that allow you to use propane. What brand is your TM G17?

Bill

Bill its a Tokyo Marui. And Im all ears on ideas here. When I purchased the gun and started looking for everything else I would need to run it, I had no idea I would run into so many issues! Im very much a newby at this airsoft thing, and I just want to try to get things right so I dont have to learn the hard way!

Thanks,

Chris

I have a TM G17 on order that should arrive next week. Im really looking forward to trying it out. But, I jumped into this whole airsoft training thing without looking first, it would seem. And Im having a lot of trouble finding useful information pertaining to gas and gas accessories. As I understand it, guns with plastic slides are more safely operated using 134A as opposed to propane/green gas. So my question is, where exactly can I find an adapter for 134A gas so I can shoot this gun when it arrives!

Chris, I have that same model and I only use green gas in it. I have probably 5k through it and no problems. Now I did apply some Slide Glide Light to it in same places I do on my real G35 and G17 Open pistols. I havent had any real problems with it yet. I did change the piston chamber to an aftermarket one. I also applied some slide glide to the o-ring on the piston itself. Personally I found greasing that o-ring helps seal them a little better. Also if you are super worried you can get a metal slide on the net for them. I have seen prices of 50 bucks all the way to 140 bucks. Personally just try what I did and practice with the thing.

Stick with the Green Gas...it has silicon lubricant in it especially made for gas airsoft guns. I tried the CO2 route and eventually ran into issues. Now back to Green Gas and all is working great. Don't fix what isn't broke.

All my airguns are CO2, just to avoid this issue.

A small drop of silicone oil, on the top of each CO2 cartridge before use, provides good lubrication to the internals.

Some of these guns are many years old, and have seen hard use, with no problems.

More use than my real guns, come to think.

• 1 month later...

TMs are good guns but a metal slide ia not a bad idea if you are planning to use it a lot for training.

Bill

Bill its a Tokyo Marui. And Im all ears on ideas here. When I purchased the gun and started looking for everything else I would need to run it, I had no idea I would run into so many issues! Im very much a newby at this airsoft thing, and I just want to try to get things right so I dont have to learn the hard way!

Thanks,

Chris

Tokyo Marui guns (as with all stock Japanese GBBs) comes with a plastic slide built for the pressure of duster / HFC134a. Using propane/green gas with it will eventually crack the slide. It is not a magazine issue.

Green gas, or HFC22, is an ozone depleting agent. It's not good for the environment either.

At least 134a smells nicer. :ph34r:

We have been using both gases in Hong Kong, Japan... and all over Asia for airsofting for well over a 2 decades now. The amount you'd be exposed to honestly wouldn't concern me, especially since most shooting is done where there is ventilation. In an enclosed apartment though......