Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

double charge

ogiebb

is there any way to determine if you have a double charge on an ammo? (without blowing up the gun)...i was just thinking of doing a double check on my match ammo by weighing them in a scale.anybody did this before?

If the cases are all of the same brand you have a chance. I once loaded (3) rounds without powder before realizing my error. Since my load contains ~12grs of powder, I was able to weigh 200 rounds and find the 3 without powder. If my powder charge had been less, say 5grs, it would have been nearly impossible to accomplish. A digital scale would make the job much easier too.

The powder measure charge bar op. rod come apart on the 650 a while back. I had loaded about 150 rounds before I realized that I wasn't using much powder. Since all of the cases were starline it was really easy to see which had powder and which didn't. Just weight a round you know has the correct charge, zero the scale (assuming you have an electronic scale) and start weighting them. I've got about 150+ with no powder, I still haven't decided if I'm going to pull them apart or thrown em.

Avoid problems,

Buy a Blue Press with a powderchecker, since using one never encountered any problems. (Reloading: .38 Super, .40S&W and .30M1)

Be alert while reloading, untill now my checker never 'beep't'

Never had any Double Charges, virtually almost impossible using Vihta-powder.

Wile :ph34r:

There are so many variables in a loaded round, I don't feel it's 100% reliable to weigh them, if a double charge is a concern. Even with an electronic scale. Like warpspeed said, get a bullet puller, or through out the ammo so no one can find it.

be

I agree with BE.

In my situation, the worst that could happen was having to beat a squib out of the chamber but I knew exactly how many bullets I was looking for and found the all. In your case it could cost you the gun and MUCH more. The fleshy parts are very difficult to repair or replace. Your problem if far too dangerous to take any chances.

Leo

Guest Larry Cazes

Loading on my 550B, I glance into each case right before I place a bullet and verify that there is approximately the right amount of powder. In the case of the 550B, it doesnt really cost anything because I check as the shellplate is being turned. I use a powder, WST, that fills the case 2/3rds full and a double charge is quite obvious.....There is no substitute for diligence or a good bullet puller!

Larry,

I was once like you ... I loaded very carefully on my 550 and visually confirmed every aspect of every round that I made. I now use a 1050 and, with the case and bullet feeders, I merely check to make sure that I have not run out of cases, powder or bullets.

My only real "goof" occurred because I had completely drained the powder and started to load before refilling. Three got away without powder before I realized my mistake. I'm slightly more careful now. ;)

Leo

The five "P's":

PULL (the handle to size/deprime/bell/drop a charge/seat the bullet/crimp),

PUSH (the handle to prime),

PICK (up a case on the right, a bullet on the left),

PEEK (at the charged case),

PLACE (the bullet on the case, the new case at the sizing station),

and repeat ad nauseum.

I do this every round I load, and I haven't had a squib yet in 80K rounds (not much, I know, but this for me is still only an obsessive hobby, not an all consuming way of life).

:P

Guest Larry Cazes

Kevin, The 5 P's? Never heard it before but I like it! :D Seriously, ogiebb, theres a lot of room for error and the potential for a serious accident is pretty high in this hobby......Always make conservative decisions.

Be my guest, Henny.

The five "P"'s is cribbed from a memnonic I used for teaching the examination of the heart:

The eight "P"'s of the pertinent cardiac examination:

Precordial activity (heaving of the chest)

Point of maximal impulse (where the heart thumps against the chest)

Pressure (of the blood)

Pulse

Pinkness (oxygenation)

Pulmonary (changes caused by the heart to the lungs)

Perfusion (blood flow to the organs)

Pitter Pat (the sounds of the beating heart, so designated to get overly serious medical students to smile)

And yes, it's a SDB.