Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a Lee turret for low volume calibers?

I was going to get a single stage but this seems to have a little more speed.

Also caliber conversions are ridiculously cheap at about $10 and very fast.

On paper It looks like the perfect compliment to my 650.

One other thing is this looks like great press to use when working up loads. I'm not saying the 650 can't be used that way but it's a pain in the butt

So I'd like to hear from some people who have used one.

Reviews on the Internet seem to be universally positive. Which seems to be the case with most of Lees single stage stuff, while their progressive stuff is very mixed.

Thanks for all your advice.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I had a Lee Classic Turret "LCT" years ago when it first came out. It was my first press. I foolishly sold it for a Load Master. In the end I ended up with a 650 and actually bought another LCT. I would only consider the LCT. It's just a better press. Get if from Kempfs Gun Shop as a kit. Get the upgrade to the Pro Auto Disc.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=190&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

BUT Their are just a couple things to know.

The best setup for the Lee Powder Measure is the Fixed Discs. They sell a adjustable charge bar but it does not like low volume metering of TiteGroup for 9mm. It's fine for larger CC's of charges. I make in between discs using a set screw, tap and some teflon tap. It's adjustable like that. It's needs to be watched carefully if you do that. You can make a similar thing by just sanding up a smaller disc to a larger size. My setup works fine.

Because the turret rotates you have to use the press the same every time. In other words it will throw a different charge if you pull the handle once vs pulling the handle 4 times (like when you load normally).

I am pretty picky so some others might not be so harsh. I like my LCT. It's a perfect companion to my 650.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/

I can't post photo links so that should get you to my photobucket account. 98sr20ve is my name. Video and some pictures in my account.

Thank you. It sounds like I've found my next press. There are a number of calibers that I'd like to reload, but its just so expensive on the 650. There are probably 3 calibers for which commercial ammo is pretty expensive, where I would be happy loading 500 rounds per year. Off the top of my head:

.44 mag

30-06

And a decent quantity of them would be load development. Ive played around with load development on the 650 and while in the end its probably no slower than a single stage, its annoying and full of opportunity for error. (dumping powder into primerless cases, putting primers on the floor, etc)

I like the idea of a turret. Much faster than a single stage, but still only working a single round at a time.

I'm pretty slow. I'm one of those guys who only gets 300 rounds per hour out of his 650. This includes filling primer tubes, inspecting brass before it goes into the hopper. (nothings worse than when you are whipping along and you get stopped by a .45 with a 9mm inside, or a piece of .45 Blazer brass with its small primer pocket)

Everything gets plunk checked in a Les Baer Commanche bbl that I keep out of the gun.

Thanks again for the help. This seems like a perfect complement for the 650.

Don

FWIW, I load .308 on mine. All the brass is preprocessed so the only thing that stage 1 does is make sure the case is lined up. You prime on the down stroke and I don't bother with the primer feeder, I just had place a primer on the ram. I weigh each charge with a trickler. I inspect and check each round for a flush primer and in a case size die after loading. And I can still fill a 50 round box in about an hour. So, it's not as slow as you might think.

The key is having everything ready to go and develop a smooth rhythm and avoid all distractions like the plague. If you are distracted, stop and check everything and be sure you know exactly where you are at.

The LCT is a great press. I loaded tens of thousands of rounds with mine before I purchased my 650. It can be used a single stage press, just don't rotate the turret, if you ever need it to. I also bought a few of the cheap single stage presses. I think they come free with the loading manual, IIRC. I use one for depriming and FLS.

I had one, it was OK, the priming was the most irritating part. I could load 100 or so rounds an hour, which isn't that bad.

I would go dillon 550, but it does cost a lot more.

Priming issues is a alignment issue of the Safety Prime. To fix it all you do is put a extra washer under the unit and it will transfer primers smooth as can be from the safety prime to the priming arm. Go to my page above and you can watch a video. Once adjusted it works pretty well. YES, with out a doubt a Dillon is better. BUT, if your going to buy a new Dillon you might as well just get the caliber conversions for the 650. That would be cheaper then buying a new press and still buying the more expensive Dillon Conversion parts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pro autodisk vs the standard auto disk. The pro is $50, the standard is $30. I'm normally the kind of person who gets the better product, but I can't find anything on the interwebs that recomments the pro. Shoot, I can't even find anything that differentiates between the two.

Don

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pro autodisk vs the standard auto disk. The pro is $50, the standard is $30. I'm normally the kind of person who gets the better product, but I can't find anything on the interwebs that recomments the pro. Shoot, I can't even find anything that differentiates between the two.

Don

The Pro has the ability to turn the hopper off which makes changing powders, and volume changes real easy. I have several sets of disks because I have 3 of these Pro measures and I will ream the holes slightly just to get a drop closer to the actual weight I want to use. The Pro also attaches the hopper different, it uses machine screws that pass through the system and have knurled nuts to tighten them with. The standard uses regular sheet metal screws that can strip out over time. Most people will drill it all the way out and install machine screws.

Edited by Poppa Bear

I'd recommend the Dillon 550B - or whatever the least expensive one is called.

Steve ,

The square deal b won't load rifle. So it's of no use to me. Besides, in many ways

this is superior to the 550 as far as my needs go.

The 550 will cost $430, the lee turret will be about $150, it will allow me to make small batches at about 150 rounds per hour. Caliber changeovers are fast and ridiculously cheap and it's portable enough to bring to the range for load development.

I already have one 650 with plans for another so I can keep one set for each size primer.

This will be used for stuff where the speed advantage of the 650 isn't worth the setup time and expense.

If I could find a 550 cheap it might be different, but there are never any used ones around there never seem to be. There is one thing that continues to impress me about this lee. It's that there seem to be plenty of dillon shooters who use this press for load development. Many wouldnt take a loadmasters or pro 1000 if you gave it to them, but they have nothing but good things to say about this little press.

Edited by dcmdon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to reloading and just received my Lee Classic Turret (with the auto indexing). I've been using a hand press, and have loaded 500 rounds so far with. I really enjoy the hand press btw.

But with the LCT, I have a question for those who like theirs. I haven't been able to load any ammo yet as I have no more bullets for a few more days, but ran shells through the sizer and flare die, and I am concerned about the play in the turret. There is up and down movement, although slight, but it is noticeable more in front than in back, and I would think this would give some variations in OAL while seating, but I have no more bullets to check with yet. Both turrets I ordered have the same play. Does this have any effect?

Also, while running some shells through sizer and flare dies, maybe half of shells were not lining up perfectly with the die. The ram seemed to be slightly misaligned. When I called Lee, they advised me how to realign the indexing, but then when I said that it was clicking into place and I was still having to use my fingers to guide the shell in, he thought that was weird. I haven't had a chance to try to realign it yet.

Any thoughts on that? People seem to really like this press, but I like my hand press enough to use that and save for something better if I should...

Edited by otis_bartleh

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I'll hopefully have some thoughts soon. I tumbled 500 pieces of 44 mag brass last night. I figure this first batch will pay for the press since I got the brass and bullets for nothing.

By the way, I just found what seems to be the most comprehensive review on the Internet.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

Don

I'm new to reloading and just received my Lee Classic Turret (with the auto indexing). I've been using a hand press, and have loaded 500 rounds so far with. I really enjoy the hand press btw.

But with the LCT, I have a question for those who like theirs. I haven't been able to load any ammo yet as I have no more bullets for a few more days, but ran shells through the sizer and flare die, and I am concerned about the play in the turret. There is up and down movement, although slight, but it is noticeable more in front than in back, and I would think this would give some variations in OAL while seating, but I have no more bullets to check with yet. Both turrets I ordered have the same play. Does this have any effect?

Also, while running some shells through sizer and flare dies, maybe half of shells were not lining up perfectly with the die. The ram seemed to be slightly misaligned. When I called Lee, they advised me how to realign the indexing, but then when I said that it was clicking into place and I was still having to use my fingers to guide the shell in, he thought that was weird. I haven't had a chance to try to realign it yet.

Any thoughts on that? People seem to really like this press, but I like my hand press enough to use that and save for something better if I should...

I run + / - .002 on my LCT which is likely a combination of the press, the bullet, the case, and the die. In other words so slight that it is insignificant.

Well, I got it mostly put together today. Everything except for the primer system.

I'm using a combination of RCBS and Lyman carbide dies for .44 mag. I've made up a dummy round and so far so good. The crimp mangled the bullet, but its late and I'll see what up tomorrow. I found that I could greatly shorten the handle from its longest length for use with pistol cartridges.

So without further adieu: Dillon, meet your little brother Lee.

Lee2.jpg

Lee1.jpg

Speaking of bullets. This is why my post man hates me. Its a medium flat rate box that weighs almost 70 lbs!!!

Bullets1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy the last few weeks, and finally got around to making some .44 mag for the first time a couple of days ago. Its working pretty well. I haven't done the washer tweak to the safety prime, so for now I put the primer in the cup just before the lever reaches bottom.

The COAL is very consistent. The combination of Lymann and RCBS dies is working well. I've used 2 seat/crimp dies set up so that each is done separately. (Lyman with die body screwed way out of plate, with bullet seater set properly, then a RCBS die with the bullet seater pulled way up and the main body set fo ra nice roll crimp)

I loaded 50 without the auto index and liked the process. Then I loaded another 25 with the auto index when I got a few minutes this afternoon and liked that too. I felt like I was still able to do QC on each round, but production speed increased greatly.

I like the fact that I handle every case as it goes into the machine and every cartridge as it comes out of the machine. It gives an excellent opportunity to visually check things out.