Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady bullet feeding die

Has anyone tried using the hornady bullet feeding die without the feed hopper on a dillon press set-up? I think that would work great, rather than putting them on one by one, just drop them in the top of the die.

I am nuts?

No, not nuts.

I bought the die, and some aluminum tubes at Home Depot. I turned down the end of the tube so it fits in the end of the die. A couple of holes and a cotter pin, and it works as a 40 round feed tube.

I'll eventually buy the collator, now that I know the feeder die works.

Edited by Jeff686

How much work is it to get the Hornady die to work with the Mr Bulletfeeder collater?

I would love to get a Mr Bulletfeeder, but I'd want to use it with all of my .35x calibers and I'm not willing to pay $150 each to switch from 9x19 to 9x23 to .357 to .38 Short Colt, etc

No switches to turn it off when the tube is full and all reviews say how great the Mr BF collator is...

I could add switches and probably tweak any problems with the Hornady, but I don't really want a project, I just want a bulletfeeder...

Just put a 9mm feeder die on my 1050. With jacketed bullets it works like a champ!! Even with just one bullet in it. With my Bear Creek moly's it won't feed. I can see where a complete bullet feeding system could be addicting.........

What is it about the molys that the die doesn't work? Can anyone provide a comparison between the Hornady Bullet Feeder and the Mr Bullet Feeder? Does the added cost for the Mr Bullet Feeder actually make it better? That would be in addition to the lack of an off/on switch on the Hornady mentioned above.

Edited by The_Vigilante

Following Jeff686's lead above, I came up with my own bullet feeder. Bought some plastic tubing from TAP and cut it into 3'

sections. A quick trip to Home Depot got me some cotter pins and a eye bolt which I used to steady the tube in the Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die (see photos). It works fine even using Precision Moly bullets-147g. I installed the die in the 3rd slot after the powder drop. The only minor problem I am having is advancing the shellplate. If I go too fast the bullet doesn't stay seated on the case.

post-15649-0-20128600-1319499262_thumb.j

post-15649-0-66630800-1319499274_thumb.j

post-15649-0-01321600-1319499283_thumb.j

the die holds 8 mg 124 jhp, i pull 5 thru as one complete cycle, leave the cam up and drop 5 more in the die and repeat. ill get the tube soon but this seems smoother than dropping them in the die 1 by 1. and a world better that placing them in the case.

Edited by poopshooter

... rather than putting them on one by one, just drop them in the top of the die.

I am nuts?

Having loaded using a bullet feeder without a collator in the past, I can tell you its not going to save time. Either way you have to pick up a bullet and make sure its nose up before setting it down.

The good news is, If you have a decent array of tools you can build a collator for under $100.

Sorry for the ignorance and general laziness....

Am I right to assume this die only places the bullet on the case? So it is really a no go for pistol loading on a 550?

Going further.... If no crimp is needed would it work on a 550 for rifle reloads?

• 3 weeks later...

Following Jeff686's lead above, I came up with my own bullet feeder. Bought some plastic tubing from TAP and cut it into 3'

sections. A quick trip to Home Depot got me some cotter pins and a eye bolt which I used to steady the tube in the Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die (see photos). It works fine even using Precision Moly bullets-147g. I installed the die in the 3rd slot after the powder drop. The only minor problem I am having is advancing the shellplate. If I go too fast the bullet doesn't stay seated on the case.

Just curious, what is TAP? I tried to find some clear tubes like that but HD and Lowes dont seem to have anything like that. Thanks.

Adam

Just curious, what is TAP? I tried to find some clear tubes like that but HD and Lowes dont seem to have anything like that. Thanks.

Adam

Googling TAP gets a lot of garbage. I assume he means www.tapplastics.com

... rather than putting them on one by one, just drop them in the top of the die.

I am nuts?

Having loaded using a bullet feeder without a collator in the past, I can tell you its not going to save time. Either way you have to pick up a bullet and make sure its nose up before setting it down.

The good news is, If you have a decent array of tools you can build a collator for under $100.

Yes and no. I bought 10 tubes and I can sit in front of the tv and load 650 9mm bullets into the tubes then it will save time when I go to load.

Adam

Googling TAP gets a lot of garbage. I assume he means www.tapplastics.com

Thanks for the help

Adam