Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XM 193 on steel

downhere2

Could be the velocity. The fast stuff will beat the snot out of ar500 at 50 yards. Do they put the steel close?

All my xm193 has copper jackets, but I have been seeing more stuff labeled as m193 that really isn't.

A local match banned xm193 saying it damages steel. My understanding was 193 is a copper jacketed lead bullet.

I have also been told that xm855 will not hurt steel.

I have always used 193 for steel and avoided using 855. Am I wrong about this?

What do they like?

A local match banned xm193 saying it damages steel. My understanding was 193 is a copper jacketed lead bullet.

I have also been told that xm855 will not hurt steel.

I have always used 193 for steel and avoided using 855. Am I wrong about this?

M855 is 62 grain with a steel penetrator.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m855.htm

M193 is 55 grain FMJ.

http://tech.military.com/equipment/view/88714/5.56mm-cartridge.html

Someone told me that FMJ damages steel and I did not believe them so I took some Montana gold 55 grain FMJ reloads and shot my MGM pesky poppers at 100 yards with it and I could see some small divots. So yes it does damage steel slightly compared to soft points or jhp's.

Pat

2011-08-10 - XM193 5.56mm NATO Ammunition - It has come to our attention that the new XM193 5.56mm NATO ammunition can have adverse effects on our steel:

While MGM continues to use the highest grades of AR500 plate in the steel targetry industry, we are concerned that this new ammunition, primarily in use by our military customers, may cause significant damage to any AR 500 steel targets, including ours. From this point on, any targetry shot closer than 150y with XM193 will not be covered by MGM's "No Bull" warrantee. Targets shot with pistol only, and rifle targets shot past 150 will continue to be covered by the best warrantee in the business. If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. Toll free 888.767.7371.

From mgmtargets.com. Personally any steel shot closer than 100 and probably 150 with a bullet going faster than 3000FPS will take some damage. I've used 3 different brands including MGM and they all look used. Probably not a big deal, just be aware that while steel will last longer than paper it is not a lifetime purchase.

Someone told me that FMJ damages steel and I did not believe them so I took some Montana gold 55 grain FMJ reloads and shot my MGM pesky poppers at 100 yards with it and I could see some small divots. So yes it does damage steel slightly compared to soft points or jhp's.

Pat

Very interesting. It is not clear from your statement: Did you try the same test with some 55 grain SP/HP at similar velocity?

M193 will do more damage and have deeper penetration on steel at close ranges than other loads, even M855. This is because as said above - due to velocity. M193 spec is 3250fps MV out of a 20" barrel, and that is zipping, and above SAAMI spec.

An M193 bullet is simply a lead core, copper jacketed boat tail. There have been many M193 variants that have varying thicknesses of the jacket, and this might have more of an impact on steel penetration.

However, this "new" XM193... I am not aware of anything special about it... its still just 55gr lead core copper FMJ bullets loaded to M193 specs.

(not all steel sold as "AR500" is the same composition and hardness, unfortunately)

From testing on my AR500 plates, at distances >=100yds, M193 does less damage than M855 (with a steel core penetrator) However, even M855 only leave a small divet in the face.

For a range to "ban" M193 ammo is pretty silly, unless they are banning ALL FMJ bullets across the board. M855 is commonly banned because it does do a little more damage to steel, and it also throws a lot of sparks of the plate from the penetrator, so its a fire hazard.

Edited by Kevin Holman

Steel targets regardless of the distance get dents and dings. Any edge shot will take a small chunk out. I have not have any major issues with rifle steel as long as it has been shot at a minimum of 50 yards. Most quality steel can be shot closer without major problems as long as it is not being shot with a steel or penetrator type bullet.

Pat

Very interesting. It is not clear from your statement: Did you try the same test with some 55 grain SP/HP at similar velocity?

Yes just not on that day. No divot with the Nosler 55 grain polimer tiped bullets or with 77 grain Sierra bullets.

Pat