Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People wearing baseball caps backwards

Vince Pinto

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though wearing a cap backwards defeats the purpose of the design <_< (except for welders), the hooded-sweatshirt fad is one I loathe. Most dudes I see wearing them tend to be (almost without fail) glancing about furtively--in keeping with the image and stereotype--and it frankly creeps me out. Especially here in Eugene, the bank robbery capital of the Quadrant, I swear. It's de rigueur wear for bank robberies. :ph34r::P

Interesting, there was a TV add that said something like "Don't judge me on my appearance". It never really worked for me - isn't appearance one of the main tools we use to let the world know who we are?

(Or who we want the world to think we are? ;) )

"...isn't appearance one of the main tools we use to let the world know who we are?"
Yes, and we do it instinctively, no matter how much intellectual distance we try to place between that concept and ourselves. As animals we NEED to know if 'the other guy' is harmless or threatening. It's just natural. First impressions sometimes ARE critical.

Yes, and we do it instinctively, no matter how much intellectual distance we try to place between that concept and ourselves.  As animals we NEED to know if 'the other guy' is harmless or threatening.  It's just natural.  First impressions sometimes ARE critical.

Hmm, I don't think I am trying to distant myself from that concept... does it make me very unintellectual? :huh:

:lol:

The hat thing becomes problem for me when it's done as a gang-sign. I've turned my hat around backwards many a time for purposeful reasons. Spend a little time living in gang territory and you'll understand why some people really pucker as soon as they see something that resembles gang sign. I'll do the world a favor and spare you the war stories on this one.

But far be for me to tell anyone to how to run his/her life. You want to dress like Puff Daddy or Ice-T, it's your choice. Just do me a favor and ditch the hood off your sweatshirt and remove your sunglasses before you walk in the bank.

But far be for me to tell you how to run your life.  You want to dress like Puff Daddy or Ice-T, it's your choice.  Just do me a favor and ditch the hood off your sweatshirt and remove your sunglasses before you walk in the bank.

Eric,

If that was addressed to me, then there's no need - I don't own any hooded sweatshirts, and the only pair of sunglasses I've got never leaves my car. I don't know who Puff Daddy is, but I think Ice-T is a musician or ??? whatever... My interests don't extend there.

And I wholeheartedly agree that when entering public places where safety is of special concern it is polite not to make people nervous with your appearance.

With my previous post I was symply entertaining myself with a thought that one can tend to escape a nature's call, or embrace it. As long as no harm is done, either way is... should I say "acceptable"? Well, to an extent, any way... :)

"...when I go into a bank...I always wear my Nixon mask."
LOL!!!!

Every Hallowe'en our bank puts up its little sign on the front door disallowing the wearing of masks inside the bank building. :P

"...when I go into a bank...I always wear my Nixon mask."
LOL!!!!

Every Hallowe'en our bank puts up its little sign on the front door disallowing the wearing of masks inside the bank building. :P

Then I take it that face paint is acceptable? :P

Ray

- isn't appearance one of the main tools we use to let the world know who we are?

(Or who we want the world to think we are? ;) )

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,

But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy:

For the apparel oft proclaims the man;

The hat thing becomes problem for me when it's done as a gang-sign. I've turned my hat around backwards many a time for purposeful reasons. Spend a little time living in gang territory and you'll understand why some people really pucker as soon as they see something that resembles gang sign. I'll do the world a favor and spare you the war stories on this one.

How many more stereotypes can we throw into this one. As someone who has lived in South Central LA, before, during and after the LA riots, wearing one's hat backwards and/or a hooded sweatshirt does not constitute gang affiliation. Maybe in the rural states where the perception is reality (i.e. what they see in the movies and in videos) but that doesn't happen in real life.

In college, I remember a girl asking me if, 'this was the part of LA where we're supposed to wear red?'. :wacko: After controlling myself from the laughter, it became evident that many peoples view of reality is simply based upon what they see on television and the ripple effects of same.

Nevertheless:

I will wear my hat backwards in a bank, in a mall,

Or I will not wear the hat at all.

It is my decision how I wear this hat of mine,

If it's a problem, it's yours not mine. :P

(My best Dr. Seuss impression for 15 seconds of thought).

Rich

Trust Rich, if he went to USC, he WAS in the ghetto! :P

Again, for the folks who are a little behind the times, a quick update:

1. hats to the back probably not gang related, more common amongst gang-bangers is cocked off to one side, usually over one of those synthetic skull cap thingies.

Some other common apparel: baggy pants with one leg pulled up, flashy medallions on chains, Lugz or other hiking boots, basketball jerseys worn over t-shirts.

2. Puff Daddy is now P. Diddy.

3. The Sharks and The Jets don't really exist.

In Miami, walking into a bank with a hoodie pulled tight will probably get you shot. :ph34r:

Remember, Florida is a “shall issue” state :D and mostly every one I know carries “something”.

I don’t believe that hat turned around has the same effect, but still, we can hope. :angry:

I wonder if that is just the same old "generations" issue here. It is funny how when I was in my teens the adults would disapprove what we wore and how. Now when I am 3 times older, I look at my son's clothes and ... am I getting old?

Appearance certainly carries a message, but it is so easy to misinterpret, so I guess it's not the hat what really matters, it's what under it. :wacko:

wearing one's hat backwards and/or a hooded sweatshirt does not constitute gang affiliation.  Maybe in the rural states where the perception is reality (i.e. what they see in the movies and in videos) but that doesn't happen in real life.

I don't live in LA for a reason.

In some parts of the country hat position (cocked or backwards) does indicate gang affiliation or wannabe "affiliation" (which is as bad or worse as the wannabe has something to prove). We banned the practice at a previous company specifically because people were using the hat thing as a gang sign.

I never said that hooded sweatshirts were used as gang sign. I regard deliberately concealing one's face in a public area as prime indicator that one is about to engage in criminal behavior.

And quite frankly, as someone who gang-banger-wannabe assholes have tried to kill before (on two separate occasions), I'd like think I know what I'm talking about and know what I'm looking for when I see someone who I may consider to be a threat.

But thanks for cluing me in anyway. I'll take it under advisement.

[/Tactical Whactical Mode]

We wear hooded sweatshirts in Montana to keep the snow off. Got to wear the cap forward for that. By the way it is terrible here, no one (else) move here. <_<

I'm just waiting for the next trendy brainless fad of young dudes wearing their PANTS backwards (to match their hats). :lol::lol::lol: They're already wearing their pants too low to do any good anyway, so what the heck... it might be fun. Just TELL 'em it's hip to wear everything backwards and they WILL!! :lol: