Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watch what needs to be watched

Vince Pinto

(These posts were spun-off from the "fewer shots taken than scored" thread)

Hi guys,

I often see the comment "the RO must always watch the gun", but it's taken way too far by some who give me the impression they have tunnel-vision. Yes, the RO must watch the gun, but not during every single second of the competitor's attempt at the COF.

For example, what do you expect to see looking at the gun when the competitor is standing perfectly still shooting at an array of targets? All I ever see are cases being ejected and smoke. You must change your focus, as required.

RO Lesson: Watch what needs to be watched.

1. During loading, reloading, unloading and movement, watch the gun.

2. When the competitor is standing still shooting, look over or around his shoulder and watch the targets.

3. Never watch his feet. If there are charge or fault lines, your assistant RO should be watching (better still, don't use charge or fault lines - use barricades).

4. Never look at the timer until after you issue the "Range Clear" command. If you're holding the timer properly, it will pick up the shots but, as you approach the final array, move it closer to the competitor, because the only time that really counts is the one from the last shot.

3. Never watch his feet. If there are charge or fault lines, your assistant RO should be watching (better still, don't use charge or fault lines - use barricades).

Ok, I actually agree with most of this post, Don't be amazed and don't anyone read this while driving, I don't want to cause an accident.

But the apart of the quoted portion bothers me just a little. No charge lines or fault lines?

OK, so steel is blocked by a low wall, Fine, I see it, I am not in full agreement, but the sky is not falling. No fault lines? So free Fire zones now require walls along there entire perimeter? I can't guide the shooter to a wall and put a fault line on the ground that more or less forces him to shoot through a particular port? I need yetanother wall? Lets see, effort to move wall section, 2 people, a brace and a screw-gun, labor intensive, Effort for fault line, material, one 2 x 4 8-0 long (That is just about 2-1/2 meters for the measurement conversion challenged) one guy and 30 seconds. Club match, done deal, no problem with wind, time to build and tear down is reduced. we shoot more and build less. Mationals, maybe depending upon the view that the ohters want to have of the shooter the same applies, or maybe we do put up a wall. Cost and prop storage are also a concern.

We need to keep this from becoming the sport of kings. Some of us actually work 10 hours a day and steal time from our otherwse busy lives to design and build stages and shoot matches. We don't have a cadre of eager locals available at a few dollars a day to do the dirty work. Heck we even have to police our own brass!

Jim Norman

<_<

2.2.1 Charge Lines and Fault Lines – Competitor movement should preferably be restricted through the use of physical barriers, however, the use of Charge and Fault Lines is permitted. <snip>

Questions?

I agree with Vince's post and it's all sound sense.

The only thing I do in addition is to tilt the display of the timer towards me in time for the last shot. I don't have any problem seeing "through" and round the timer to do the normal stuff but I can nearly always register the time of the last shot within my sphere of vision. Even if I only get the first digit (or digits) or the decimal digits it's a very useful check when calling out to the scorer after the Unload, Show Clear. This verifies that the time being recorded is most likely to be the same as the last shot fired.

Unfortunately I've seen it go wrong when the RO hasn't done this and who, as soon as the competitor had finished, put the timer behind his back. The time was wrong by around 7-8 seconds but the RO wouldn't have it. I suspect a shot had been picked up from the adjacent bay.

If you're recall 20.nn but you're looking at 27.nn on the display then there's something wrong and in these cases a review of the timer can confirm the time you saw. It is likely that there will be a split of 7 seconds as well to further confirm the error.

The thing which really makes me giggle and roll my eyes are ROs who hold the timer out with a rigid, outstretched arm above and behind the competitor's head during the entire COF, as if the RO was a paramedic and the timer was a saline drip :D

Nice post Vince.

The only thing I might tag on that, since we've had some local issues, is always be aware of the 180. That might seem silly to some, but unfortunately, there are some folks who were asleep during that part of the class. :blink:

You won't be giggling and rolling your eyes if the timer is out of position when the shooter stops abruptly due to a squib or broken gun.

I keep the timer in front of me at waist level or slightly higher - I just think the "Saline Drip Hold" (a.k.a. the "Heil Hitler" salute) is a bit silly. It also makes it a bit tougher for, er, horizontally challenged guys like me to keep up with rabbits like Eric Grauffel :wacko:

BigDave - Point 1 covers the 90 degrees - watch the gun during movement, which is the most likely time there'll be a breach.

Good advice, Vince.

We always teach "watch the gun", but it's not practical nor practicable to do that all the time. There are a lot of other things the RO needs to be looking at. I've seen some RO's take the gun watching to the extreme and miss a lot of other stuff.

I'll incorporate this into our level one seminar material, if I may?

Troy

I just think the "Saline Drip Hold" (a.k.a. the "Heil Hitler" salute) is a bit silly. It also makes it a bit tougher for, er, horizontally challenged guys like me to keep up with rabbits like Eric Grauffel :wacko:

Shoot, I think I hold it that way. :o Hmmm, maybe time to make an adjustment--I'd hate to have Uncle Vinnie laughing at me on TV or something. :P

Troy

I think we're also not addressing that how closely you need to monitor the gun depends heavily on the shooter and how well the RO knows the shooter and their skill level.

You can divert some of your attention when an experienced and proven-to-be-safe shooter is doing their thing. We've had people lately who have and will break the 180 while apparently standing still. With them (and with any unknown), I can't think of a good reason to not put 99.99999% of the RO's focus on the gun and where the muzzle is pointed.

I'll incorporate this into our level one seminar material, if I may?

No sweat buddy - use whatever material you like, because we're both on the same team trying to produce better ROs.

vince,

i like your post. you correct about not watching the feet. i was taught that the score keeper was in charge of watching foot faults and the ro watches the gun.

also, you are correct if the competitor is static, shooting an array, such as a "texas star, a oklahoma donut, or a texas windmill", the show can be very entertaining. :D

lynn

Lynn,

OK, I give up. What the hell is an Oklahoma Donut (other than something eaten by cops in Oklahoma City)??

And with all these fancy target names, I think I better invent a "Hong Kong Hoola Hoop" or a "Darth Dingle Dangler", although the second one sounds a bit rude :wacko:

An Oklahoma Donut is an evil piece of steel used to torture shooters, invented by one of the SC's in Oklahoma. A round piece of steel with a hole in the center. Another steel plate visible and shootable (well, mostly) through the hole in the hardcover steel. Usually lots of gunshots, cussing, etc., are required to knock the plate down.

Glenn Martin is a sick, demented man. :D (Hey may not have invented it, but he sure uses it a lot.)

Seriously, it's fun to shoot, but even more fun, as Lynn says, to watch someone else shoot. :lol:

Troy

BigDave - Point 1 covers the 90 degrees - watch the gun during movement, which is the most likely time there'll be a breach.

Vince - I'm fully aware of that. What I was referencing are those who are not aware of that. ;) Just ask rhino.

Here is a trick that works well with the timer. Turn it over your shoulder and let the scorekeeper read it as you are watching the shooter unload and show clear, of course only after having given that command. :) Also it is nice if the scorekeeper gives you a small pat with their pen to let you know they have recorded the score. This works very well and you never have to take your eyes away from the shooter.

I'd also say that RO's need to quit trying so hard to catch the competitors ejected round and keep focused on the gun handling going on. I've seen a few almost loose their balance trying to catch it. It's a distraction they impose on themselves when they need to be observing the shooter and the weapon.

Hi,

Here in NL, and in Germany and Slovakia where I have worked as an RO, I see RO's trying to catch ejected rounds everywhere.

I will only go as far as simply hold my open hand under the gun while keeping my eyes at the important stuff.

At the Mosquito Match a few weeks ago one of my RO's (I was CRO) who was running the shooter with the timer in his hand started picking up speedloaders during the COF.

Of course I immediately took him aside after the COF and explained that he had more important things to do during the COF ;) .