Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spec-ops 9 vs STI 4.15 tactical

PumpGunGuy

Don't forget Para, the 18-9 retails for $1200. If you just want a steel hi-cap 9mm and want to think outside 1911's, I'd also look hard about CZ. There's a lot of options with CZ and they're way below your $2000 budget.

Personally I'd look at the CZ SPO1 shadow, or 75 longslide, they have singl-action models too if that's why you wanted a 1911. You can get Mec-Gar 19 round mags for $29 at gregcotellc.com

Don't get me wrong, I love 1911's especially the STI's DWFAN recommended, but CZ's are also outstanding at a lower price. Too many great guns, too little time and money.

Good luck in your decision, hard to go wrong.

I have one of the older STI 9mm 4.15 Tactical with Aluminum frame. It shoots very,very well for a short barreled gun. So well in fact, that I have shot some of my best Steel Challenge scores with it. The quick handling coupled with match grade accuracy makes for quick transitions and good hits on distant steel.

I do not have a spec ops Wilson, but I have also shot with a custom built STI with a 5" bushing barreled ,lightened slide,Springfield 9mm top end and I was surprised that I shot the 4.15 better.

Only compared one set of Steel Challenge scores with both guns. Could have been a fluke, but the short gun sure indexes well.

Just my .02 worth.

Another option would be the STI VIP. This is a slightly smaller gun than the 4.15" tactical. with 4" barrel and grip slightly chopped for greater concealment. It's available in .45, .40 and 9mm. The 9mm article sample piece I had in was very nice indeed. Totally reliable, wonderful handling qualities. Bench rest accuracy was in the acceptable range (i.e. decent-but-not-hugely-great) which is what I'd expect for a factory gun versus a hand-built custom piece.

My one caveat would be that the slide cocking grooves on STIs in general are quite sharp, and can be actively dangerous if you shoot with a straight thumbs grip. Inside 50 rounds with the VIP those cheese grater slide cocking grooves had ground through the callous on my right thumb, were down into flesh, and I was smearing blood back and forth along the slide with every shot. If this had been my gun instead of an article sample piece its slide cocking grooves would have had a moderate but early appointment with a buffing wheel.

Another option would be the STI VIP. This is a slightly smaller gun than the 4.15" tactical. with 4" barrel and grip slightly chopped for greater concealment. It's available in .45, .40 and 9mm. The 9mm article sample piece I had in was very nice indeed. Totally reliable, wonderful handling qualities. Bench rest accuracy was in the acceptable range (i.e. decent-but-not-hugely-great) which is what I'd expect for a factory gun versus a hand-built custom piece.

My one caveat would be that the slide cocking grooves on STIs in general are quite sharp, and can be actively dangerous if you shoot with a straight thumbs grip. Inside 50 rounds with the VIP those cheese grater slide cocking grooves had ground through the callous on my right thumb, were down into flesh, and I was smearing blood back and forth along the slide with every shot. If this had been my gun instead of an article sample piece its slide cocking grooves would have had a moderate but early appointment with a buffing wheel.

I don't think there is a better carry gun. Its small enough to be easily concealed but I get 17 rounds of forty fun in mine with a International basepad and grams follower.

Although STI states the VIP 9mm's mag capacity as 17 rounds, both of the standard, flat-bottomed mags included with my sample gun would easily take 19. Actually I found that, with considerable effort, I could fit 20 - and the gun would in fact feed the top cartridge off a 20-loaded mag after firing the chambered round, but snapping the mag into the gun became a real effort. As far as I'm concerned, these were 19-round mags. The folks at STI seemed absolutely amazed when I told them this, BTW. "Wow, you must have really strong hands." Like I was somehow forcing two extra rounds into a mag that shouldn't be able to take them. :rolleyes: Nope, loading 19 into these mags was just easy.

Duane:

Could you provide some information on the STI pistols? I am currently considering the purchase of a 5.0 Tactical in caliber 9mm. My two questions are:

1. Have you found the STI pistols to be reliable and durable? (I am thinking of my purchase for steel shooting competition).

2. How is the STI customer service and support?

3. Could you explain the differences in the 126mm and 140mm magazines besides the obvious dimensional difference? Does the 126mm magazine fit the pistol reasonably flush? Are you aware of any functionality/reliability differences in the two different size magazines?

Thanks very much,

Ken

Although STI states the VIP 9mm's mag capacity as 17 rounds, both of the standard, flat-bottomed mags included with my sample gun would easily take 19. Actually I found that, with considerable effort, I could fit 20 - and the gun would in fact feed the top cartridge off a 20-loaded mag after firing the chambered round, but snapping the mag into the gun became a real effort. As far as I'm concerned, these were 19-round mags. The folks at STI seemed absolutely amazed when I told them this, BTW. "Wow, you must have really strong hands." Like I was somehow forcing two extra rounds into a mag that shouldn't be able to take them. :rolleyes: Nope, loading 19 into these mags was just easy.

Edited by 45 Raven

I've never had to use customer service, but i hear they are pretty good.

as far as durability, i don't have any concerns with my Edge or Tactical.

Here's a pic of my Tactical 4.15 9mm, no magwell and a 126mm mag, so you can see how the mag fits.

i-KHfkCXR-L.jpg

Guys:

Thanks very much for your help in answering my questions. The photo was especially helpful.

Now I'll ask yet another question: When purchased new, do the STI pistols typically need trigger work? I like a 3 3/4 to 4 lb. crisp trigger on my 1911 pistols, if that is any help in understanding what I mean when I inquire about trigger work. Are there any special tricks to STI trigger, or are they configured like a Colt, Springfield, etc.?

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Have an STI 5.0 Tactical on order and expect it to arrive next week. I have seen and heard much discussion about the recoil master. This pistol comes with one installed. Are there any reasons why I should consider removing it and replacing it with a different guide rod? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the recoil master?

Thanks,

Ken

Raven,

In my opion, I would leave it in. I think that they work very, and do a good job on recoil reduction. All of my STI's still have them in place. The only problem with them is at about 20K rounds they should be replaced, as should the standard recoil spring. I think that they do a good job.--JWB