Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW Springfield TRP Problems. Need Help and Opinions.

sasquatch981

I bought somebody's safe queen AK TRP. So far it's been flawless for 1500 rounds.

I replaced the ILS spring and plunger with a 19# Wilson spring and Colt-style plunger. It works but I get light primer hits. I'll go to a 23# standard spring next time I'm ordering stuff. Wolff also makes lighter springs for use with the ILS plunger.

Just ditch the ILS mainspring housing if you are not in need of the ILS, it'll saveyou some headaches if you want to go lighter with the springs.

My TRP is still new-ish (about 400 rounds through it) and the only thing I find a little more difficult than my other SA 1911s is that the hammer is still difficult to cock with one thumb, not that I ever need to do that.

The slide/frame fit is tight but the slide is not unduly tough to rack. The thing just feels correctly fit for good accuracy and my groups reflect that.

It has MIM parts but I don't care. If they break like so many insist they will, I'll change them out. But I have a Mil Spec and a Loaded with plenty of MIM and they keep going strong (about 10k rounds between the two of them).

I changed to a GI rod and plug for easy field stripping, and fit an STI single-sided thumb safety. I have an extra SA adjustable rear sight and might put that on to use this gun for USPSA. I think it would serve me well in that capacity.

There are many good things about the TRP so I hope you can enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

SAS, since you have not reported back, I will offer my 2 cents.

A "very tight fit" and "jams in place" are two very distinct and mutually exclusive subjects IMO.

A very tight fit in a "game" gun or Bulleyes gun is desirable. But, certainly not so in a tactical, daily carry or LEO 1911. SA usually has a generous fit between slide and receiver in their production offerings.

My suggestion is to disassemble the slide and attempt to ascertain where the jam is occurring. It might simply be the ejector, an easy fix. Mark the ejector sides with a Sharpie and look for witness marks on the ejector after you hand cycle the slide on the receiver (slide disassembled).

If the jam occurs after disassembling the slide and no witness marks on the ejector, then remove the disconnector and try the fit again. If the jam goes away, I suggest returning the blaster to SA for corrective action. Adversely altering the disconnector or disconnector pocket in the slide can lead to very undesirable consequences.

Finally, a "jam" should be eliminated BEFORE shooting.

A jammed bearing surface between slide and receiver is never a good thing. During the fitting process, I ensure adequate lube on the bearing surfaces to prevent galling. If you try to push or shoot your way through a jammed bearing surface, galling will surely result. A 1911 smith can easily get a slide to run on a receiver with only .002" gap in bearing surfaces.

Once the jam is eliminated, shooting a "very tight" gun will mate and burnish the bearing surfaces, a good thing!

Edited by Roadrider18

I have a TRP vault .45 that is hard to rack, but functions very well. I would like to install a reduce main spring (maybe 19lbs) to reduce the amount of force to rack the slide. Anyone see any problems in doing this. I know that I could get light primer strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses, my clicker did not notify me of new posts, and I totally forgot about this post.

After a detail cleaning, and hand racking about a hundred times, it smoothed out greatly, and maybe with all that racking, I built up some muscles :surprise:

I am happy as clam now. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...