Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP rifles. What mag are people using?

raysracer

check your mag catch, make sure it's clean and happy, and screwed in all the way

if you should shove the mag in to far, or not far enough it could cause feed way failures,

make sure it's seating properly.

I've run P-Mags for a few years, and until i stepped on one and damaged the feed lips. I've never had a problem.

I just bought a pmag and I'm having some failures to load. Any suggestions? Should I try eMag?

Good choice on your rifle !

I have heard of more issues lately with plastic mags then the G.I. type.

stick with aluminium or steel mags, just test them first (offhand, and monopod)

Yep Stepped on it! (and at 19 Stone I am a big boy)

Local match just prior to Rocky Mtn, did a fantasic reload and as it droped to the ground I ran forward to the next position my foot gently caresed the top of the mag as it lay upon the gravel.

as there was a few rounds left in the mag I cracked the right side feed lip at the back.

I think when they drove the truck over it the follower might have been at the top and protected the feed lips. . . .

what ever . . . . I buy them in two's and i have never had any issues that were not shooter induced.

When you say "failure to load" do you mean that the magazine won't seat in the gun? Or will the rounds not feed from the magazine into the chamber when you cycle the action? Or does the gun load when you use the charging handle but not when the action is cycled by the gas system? Does the gun function with other mags? Not trying to be an ass, but the more information that you share the more likely that the problem can be identified.

When you say "failure to load" do you mean that the magazine won't seat in the gun? Or will the rounds not feed from the magazine into the chamber when you cycle the action?

Both of those would/could be from the P-mags 31st round.

Yeah!!! I never in my life would have thought a single magazine would change a portion of my carbine class, but the P-Mag has! It is easy to get 31 rounds in a P-Mag and then the fun starts. It won't seat in the gun and it usually won't feed the first round. It has given rise to the saying in our classes.....if it is on the right, it,s right, if it,s on the left it,s wrong (meaning the last round in the magazine) Good call CAZ

I count in every round that goes into every mag (pistol and rifle). P-mags get 28, HK mags get 30, my limited pistol mags get 20. You can get more in, and sometimes they work, or I can put in the number that work every time. But this still may not be the OP's problem, give us more info.

So I have the pmag loaded only half way.

The mag fits into the well and locks into place.

The rounds don't fit into the chamber correctly. I have one that appears to have stuck in the chamber above the bolt.

Maybe the feed lips are bad? This is a new pmag.

So I have the pmag loaded only half way.

The mag fits into the well and locks into place.

The rounds don't fit into the chamber correctly. I have one that appears to have stuck in the chamber above the bolt.

Maybe the feed lips are bad? This is a new pmag.

Throw it away or give it your buddy that always beats you on the rifle stages and buy a new for $14. :cheers:

I use the Brownells mags, Pmags and GI mags without any problem. I also have a Tripp 52 rounder that I load to 50 and a cheap 40 round metal mag that runs with 38 rounds. I did have one Pmag that did not drop free. Other than that one mag they all run fine in my JP CTR-02.