Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 Pro- slide releases after reload

9c4me

Not every reload but, startled me the first time it happened during a match. Slapped in a full mag and the slide released on it's own, I thought cool and resumed shooting but wondered if this is even supposed to happen (like CZ?) Haven't figured what exactly causes it yet, seems to be mostly the angle which the reloaded mag is forced in. Saves a little time when it does happen but worried it might cause damage if the mag is hitting something that's making the slide lock release...

My M&P .40c does this as well, more often than not actually. I talked to a few people about it and was led to believe that it is a feature known as "auto forwarding" or "combat reloading". Looking at the M&P manual online, it says, in red, on page 16:

WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE INTO THE PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE COULD CAUSE

THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING A ROUND AND MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE.

A quick internet search shows that quite a few autos do this. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

Don't know about the M&P but I have had it happen several times on my 1911's and just for the first time today on my CZ SP01 Pantom.

Richard

PS: Going to pick up an M&P .40 this week so we shall see.

Edited by chirpy

As far as the gun is concerned it won't hurt anything. Mine did it and my G34 does it.

The real problem is counting on it to do it. You should avoid going to slide lock in the first place but when it happens it does save a ton of time if your slide will go forward when you insert a mag EACH AND EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL. The trick is getting it to do it reliably or training enough to know instantly when it doesn't.

Another problem is that sometimes the slide will go forward and NOT strip a round into the chamber. That is another one of those things that will cost you dearly in mid stage.

I would practice it at the range and see how reliable your gun is in both aspects before making it a habit.

But proper stage planning and avoiding slide lock at all costs is still the best option of all.

• 2 weeks later...

M&Ps have a problem with auto forwarding when you slam a mag in them. S&W lost some LE contracts because of this. Auto forwarding is not a good thing. Sometimes the gun won't pick up a round. This has happened to me a few times and it catches you completely off guard.

I also carry a Sig 226 at work and it will sometimes autoforward but it has never failed to pick up a round.

Edited by sniperfrog

It happens on my gun USUALLY. When I first got it I had some 10 round mags that would barely seat with the slide closed until you whacked it really hard. I've since switched to 17-rounders which don't have the issue, but I haven't gotten out of the habit of really driving in the mag, so when I actually shoot to slide-lock and I slam in a new mag the slide normally closes. Usually by that time my hand is already half-way to the slide so I just abort that when I notice its closed and continue on. I don't count on it, and I try not to shoot to slide-lock anyways, so it hasn't been that much of a problem for me.

My understanding though is that almost every semi will do this if you slam the mag in hard enough. It mostly varies by the force required.

My M&P 40 Pro does it. At first I thought there was something wrong with it. Called Smith they said to send it in. I then decided to load some mags up with practice rounds and try in in my shop. I found that when you slammed the mags in at slide lock they usually go forward, both in a Glock and an M&P. I tried several different guns they all did it. It is my believe that the frames flex on the the polimer guns and the slides goes forward. Best to avoid slide lock.

Haven't found any gun that I can't do it on - assuming the pistol is charged using the slide stop not the sling shot method. If it's always been sling shotted, it'll depend on how well the slide stop and the slide cut are meshed.

• 3 weeks later...

M&Ps have a problem with auto forwarding when you slam a mag in them. S&W lost some LE contracts because of this. Auto forwarding is not a good thing. Sometimes the gun won't pick up a round. This has happened to me a few times and it catches you completely off guard.

I also carry a Sig 226 at work and it will sometimes autoforward but it has never failed to pick up a round.

Disagree. If your gun is not chambering a round with the mag fully inserted you have a mechanical problem with the gun or mag. But how in world can saving a second during a reload in a firefight be a bad thing? I (and quite a few others) practice reloads so the auto forward will occur and it becomes routine. Very handy feature IMO.

I've shot my M&P Pro in IDPA competition for the last year. I estimate that my slide closes automatically 8 out of every 10 reloads. A great feature for a speedy reload! Unfortunately, every once in a while it does fail to strip a round out of the magazine. After the loud click, another few seconds are lost racking the slide and getting back on target. Over the course of a year though, I'm way ahead on time. Unfortunately that click seems to happen when I really need that stage! Bill

Haven't found any gun that I can't do it on - assuming the pistol is charged using the slide stop not the sling shot method. If it's always been sling shotted, it'll depend on how well the slide stop and the slide cut are meshed.

Interesting!

My M&P 45 doesn't do it very often at all, with my Glocks being a lot more consistent but not nearly 100%.

I power stroke them into battery 95% of the time. Anecdotal evidence, but it correlates!

Basically, if the slide stop is used to get it into battery, the engagement surfaces between the slide stop and the slide will mate together and polish each other. The only gun I haven't been able to do it on is a single 1911 - and the owner always powerstrokes it. Every other pistol, easy peasy, japanesey.

my m&p 40 pro does every singe time, never fails, I thought it might stop when i started using taylor freelance 140's and it still does it, i LOVE it cuz if i go full blow retard and end up in a standing reload im a lil better off. People have told me that i should ignore it and still power slap it even if i does chamber a round so i dont rely on it..... i just nod my head and say thank you.....

Out of all the guns I've owned, the only one that I can't do this to is my 1911. I thought about what causes pistols to auto close or not, and I think it has to do with the weight of the recoil spring. That's the only thing keeping the slide against the slide stop, and if it's light, the bump from inserting a mag will jar the slide, causing the slide stop to release. I don't like it, personally. It distracts me, and it's not reliable. I'd much rather know that 100% of the time, I'm going to have to hit the slide stop, rather than be caught off guard.

Out of all the guns I've owned, the only one that I can't do this to is my 1911. I thought about what causes pistols to auto close or not, and I think it has to do with the weight of the recoil spring. That's the only thing keeping the slide against the slide stop, and if it's light, the bump from inserting a mag will jar the slide, causing the slide stop to release. I don't like it, personally. It distracts me, and it's not reliable. I'd much rather know that 100% of the time, I'm going to have to hit the slide stop, rather than be caught off guard.

Many people feel that hitting the slide stop is distracting and not reliable, as stress reduces you to your gross motor skills.

Food for thought. Although I agree, if it's not stripping a round every time, it could be a liability/PITA.

My M&P 40 always chamber a round and I'm off to the races. My M&P 9 chambers sometimes, doesn't others and will stove pipe at times due to the top round jumping up slightly when the mag is "firmly" seated.

I'm trying to teach myself not to count on this "feature" anymore. It sure is fun shooting the 40 and having the "auto" release working but a PITA when I have to clear a jam when I least expect it on the 9 mm.

My M&P 40 always chamber a round and I'm off to the races. My M&P 9 chambers sometimes, doesn't others and will stove pipe at times due to the top round jumping up slightly when the mag is "firmly" seated.

I'm trying to teach myself not to count on this "feature" anymore. It sure is fun shooting the 40 and having the "auto" release working but a PITA when I have to clear a jam when I least expect it on the 9 mm.

I here you on considering this a feature. I have a pro that will close with the slightest bump. Add to that the adrenaline of a match and it's dead "reliable," if you want to call it that. I try not to run it empty, but on certain stages with a drop turn or swinger I have, and if you have to rely on it, then you're probably not the type of shooter who will benefit from the few hundredths that it will save (myself included).

Last year at a sectional I did however do it on purpose to save a reload and it worked, but I would have cussed myself out if it didn't.

Not every reload but, startled me the first time it happened during a match. Slapped in a full mag and the slide released on it's own, I thought cool and resumed shooting but wondered if this is even supposed to happen (like CZ?) Haven't figured what exactly causes it yet, seems to be mostly the angle which the reloaded mag is forced in. Saves a little time when it does happen but worried it might cause damage if the mag is hitting something that's making the slide lock release...

Yep. It's saves time on the reload!

Yep. It's saves time on the reload!

Just a couple points...

1. In Prod/L10 it's better for you in the long run to plan out your reloads and get better at studying/breaking down stages than to count on a quicker slide lock reload. Taking the easy way will make you lazier instead of improving your game.

2. What I think about -----> If I saved a quarter of a second 4 times in a match by counting on a slam lock I would save 1 second. If on the 5th time the slide fails to close, then I dry fire, then I stand there for a second to process what happened, then I rack it, I have negated any benefit from going to slide lock. Too many ways to have a meltdown when you start dealing with unexpected stuff.

I didn't mean this post to be condescending, just wanted to show how I weigh the benefits/disadvantages.