Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification question

j1b

OK - I need some clarification.

My classification percent in limited 10 is currently 74%. It started out at 75%. The last classifier I shot was 91%. Apparently I don't understand how this works. I know one of you helped last time - but I find it amazing that I added a 91% classifier into the database and my actual score dropped. I am classed as Master - which is probably pretty accurate - but I'm only classed that because of my open GM classification.

I don't guess I really care if I make GM in Lim-10 or not. I was planning on using the classifiers as a gauge though - to see how I was progressing. Clearly I'm getting better - its just my classification percent that isn't.

Can anyone help me understand this?

Thanks

JB

It may not have been used because it was more than 15% above your class. Call them and they will use it if you ask. I believe the idea is to not put someone in a class where they can not compete based on a fluke score. The computer just dosen't know who you are! ;)

L1439

Jack,

It looks like you had one classifer for '03, then you shot two Special Classifier matches (4 classifers each) in April, then one more classifer the following month.

Seems they used your first 4 (chronologically) to give you your starting percentage. From there...you have to score within 5% of your class for the classifier to count.

Your class (in Limted 10) is Master. Master is 85% plus, so any score that is 5% below class won't count on your record...so, any score below 80% gets the flagged.

I'm not sure they should have been flagged as "C", I thought they would be flagged as "B". The effect is the same, however. Only 80% and up will count for you.

I'm a bit perplexed as to how you had the 91% go in, and your percentage dropped, but it doesn't matter much. Now you just gotta shoot enough to knock off those three (lower scores) at the bottom...the ones they used to give you your initial percentage.

Kyle's almost right. Initially you had one classifier on record, the one from '03. That one counts, because you didn't have an L10 classification when you shot it. When the four hit from March they used those 4 results for your initial percentage, because they were the highest four of the five you had on file. (Add up those 4, divide by 4, and it matches your high percentage.) Normally, that wouldn't happen, because classifier scores would trickle in one at a time, but here four hit from the same day. Since you're a GM in open, you can't be anything less than M in L10. At this point you have an M card, and anything more than five percent below your classification would normally not count --- but you've also got this pesky higher classification in another division. That means that another rule applies to you --- the one that says that scores that are more than one class below your highest don't count at all. That means, they'll only consider 85% scores and up to be valid for you --- so you gotta go shoot some 85-100 percenters to raise your average. Because of that your four classifiers from Central Arkansas got flagged for reason C. Your 91% score from Old Fort counts, but that also drags your initial 51% classifier from 03 --- the one that flagged with a Y because it was the first one --- into the equation, and when they add up the six valid scores and divide by 6, your average actually drops. Aren't you glad you didn't choose to come back with a revolver? Hello, my name is Jack Barnes, I'm a master class revolver shooter --- with a 45% average.....

Thanks all.

I think I understand. :wacko: I don't guess I understand why the 91% brought the 51% into the equation. But if them's the rules then I run with it.

Since I don't shoot open anymore, I assume my open percentage will continue to drop. Once it's below 95% will I then be reclassed M - and by virtue of that A in Lim 10?

So I guess its just going to take some time to get my "real" percentage where it needs to be right?

Thanks again!

Jack

For the few local pistol matches I have shot I just don't send them in. It is so much easier running in the big "U" class! :D I would rather run heads up to see how I do, but I am just wierd that way. The overall results are the only thing I look at. KURTM

Jack,

Your Open percentage will stay right where it is at...unless/until you shoot some more Open classifers.

And, I think Nik nailed it on the rest.

---------------

Kurt,

How is it your classifiers don't get sent in?

For the few local pistol matches I have shot I just don't send them in.

Kurt,

If you're not a dues paying USPSA member, you won't get a classification anyway.

As long as you don't join, you can frustrate GM's at USPSA matches everywhere, flaunting your "U" classification and pretending you just picked up your pistol last week.

Jack,

You'll never be dropped down to Master unless you develop some kind of disability and request to be moved down. There's a procedure for that --- though I'm not familiar with the details. Basically, you're a GM/M shooter for all divisions. Your open percentage might change if you start shooting open classifiers, though they'd have to between 90 and a 100 % to count. If you never shoot an open gun again, your percentage will remain intact as long as you continue to to be a USPSA member. Your percentage in L10 will creep up as you nail more classifiers --- something we're all confident you'll do....

Flexmoney:

I just don't give them my number ( I don't carry my card with me, and probably never will), after all these local matches are open to all. Next if I win U I tell them not to give me the plac or trophy as it should go to the new shooters. Actually two of them have been sent in for me, much to my chagrin, one in open, and one in limited. The open result was from the Arkansas state 3-gun last year. I guess one of the pistol stages was a classifier, and the limited was from OKCGC where I gave them My #....What was I thinkin??

Craig:

I have been a member for the last year now, and depending on how the 3-gun Nationals go, will determin if I am a member for another year. I don't think any GM has to worry about me, although I have won over all at a few of these local matches. I did get to shoot the Oklahoma State OPEN championships and did ok with the stock Edge pistol, but so did two other "Limited" shooters, with Steve Broom coming in 3rd over all, and another guy right ahead of me at 8th. I didn't shoot very well that day, but I was consistent.......consistently mediocre :lol: . Figured I could have been about 5th, but NOT that day :D KURTM

Can anybody explain my Open and Limited classifications? <_< My # is A4429. I realize they are pretty old, but my high classification is in the 80% range, they list my current classification in the 70% range and in Open only 60% classifiers are listed. :D

Bill Nesbitt