Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport is here!

Jody Waring

Hey guys I am ready to get rolling with my new TS and I am asking everyone willing to share what I will need to get going. I need to get a conversion kit in .40 for the 550 but will shoot some factory for the time being. What weight and OAL should I be looking for, when I start loading, what bullet, powder, oal combination do you recommend? The weird thing is my pistol came with 3 small frame mags ? This is something I was totally oblivious of that CZ was doing. Also, can I run a 9mm barrel in the .40 slide? I appreciate all input guys, and thanks!

Edited by Jody Waring

my TS liked factory length loads, i think it was 1.135". it got fussy with anything longer. that was with 180 grain zero flat points and MGs. when yo udo some researching around i think i remember a lot of people finding it being finicky about length, mag springs, and bullet shape. it prefers rounder profiles. other than that, the load data i used was for titegroup under a 180 grain bullet.

that's good to know. once this season is over i'm going to pilot a switch to 147s over solo 1k. a friend runs them through his glock. everyone whines about him sounding like a .22 but he makes 132 PF with no recoil. i tried a few rounds through mine, it barely cycles my gun lol. i'll try it for accuracy and function over the winter.

hey gerard, hope u been keeping the barrel warm since TN match. after i got back i got some 135gr bullets from Mr. Donnie at Bayou Bullets and worked up a load with them to compare with his 147's. they both shoot excellent but i have to give it to the 135's. they shot noticeably softer in my Shadow. Will convert over to them next order. he will also send you some samples to try before you buy. u will have them at your doorstep within a week :cheers:

So are cast bullets a no-go for the TS? I was wondering if a slower powder might help stabilize the bullet and reduce leading like some have mentioned. Rear sights- what sights fit the cut? Would I be better off staying with the fixed rear?

1.135" was the only length that had zero issues for me.

Get rid of the shok buffers if you have them in the gun. They cause the slide to short stroke. As far as ammo, I like 165 Precision Deltas over 6.6 grains of Longshot loaded to an OAL of 1.125-1.130. Like Burning Squirrels said, if you get longer that 1.135 the slide starts to get a little sluggish.

So are cast bullets a no-go for the TS? I was wondering if a slower powder might help stabilize the bullet and reduce leading like some have mentioned. Rear sights- what sights fit the cut? Would I be better off staying with the fixed rear?

I've used cast bullets in my TS. I took a lot of trial an error to get them to run without severe leading. You'll need to slug your bore. Mine spec'd out at .401 so I have to size my bullets to .402 and water drop them from the moulds to prevent leading.

1.135" was the only length that had zero issues for me.

Get rid of the shok buffers if you have them in the gun. They cause the slide to short stroke. As far as ammo, I like 165 Precision Deltas over 6.6 grains of Longshot loaded to an OAL of 1.125-1.130. Like Burning Squirrels said, if you get longer that 1.135 the slide starts to get a little sluggish.

Yep, stick to shorter factory-like lengths. My TS load is a 180gr MG CMJ over 5.2gr of Universal @ 1.130" OAL. Also try to stick to rounder FP-type bullet profiles; my TS feeds rounder stuff 100%, but throws fits with sharper edged TC-type bullets.

I have some BDX 180gr FMJ heads (750 [piece b0x) and also loaded .40 ammo in stock (Canadian BDX ammo). (I can sell it in bags of 100- and 50rds) FYI-it is made with great condition (some new) brass that would be good for reloading. I have some 231 (8lb jug) and also some accurate # 5 and Silhouette if you need any powder.

might have a couple large frame Tanfoglio mag well basepads if you think these may work in your TS Jody!

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Hey guys, what weight recoil spring are you using? Mine seems very heavy but the brass really flies on ejection like when you use a light spring. Also I noticed the guide rod is a very short plastic one. Is there one I can switch out for that is better suited?

Hey guys, what weight recoil spring are you using? Mine seems very heavy but the brass really flies on ejection like when you use a light spring. Also I noticed the guide rod is a very short plastic one. Is there one I can switch out for that is better suited?

CZ Custom has both a shorter steel version (like my OEM IPSC Standard I think) and also full length stainless. I put in the full length stainless. I doubt it will matter, but I like full length and steel guide rods "just because". I think Steve Bedair also makes a guide rod for this.

Thanks for the link, think I will definitely get one. Another question for everyone; anyone using the extended safety on their TS? Looks a little big and possibly interfere with your weak hand? What about welding up a stock one and reshaping it? Will a shadow safety fit as I might be able to pick up one of those.

Guys,'is there anyone out there that could hook me up with an extended safety for the TS? I just got an email from CZ Custom as I placed an order but they are not available. I dry fired a bunch last night and I just can't pick up the stock safety. I have to change my grip to hit it then turn the pistol slightly to get my shooting grip. Only other option is to pick up another stock one and weld it up. Thanks guys!