Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why LRN or Plated when FMJ is not much if any more

Fried Chicken Blowout

Bear Creek is priced so well, like $56/1000 for 147 9mm, $65/1000 180 gr .40s, $77/1000 230 gr .45s, that I see no reason for anything else. The moly keeps me from touching lead. My lead levels got high after loading lead for a few years.

Yeah, they have some great prices but they are never in stock. It's like Zero, good luck trying to find them. I get my MG bullets from another source and they are fairly good price, better than direct - just not as fast with shipping but still within 5-7 days on my doorstep.

Remember those prices for Bear Creek don't include shipping so factor that also. I can get my MG 124's for 7.4 per bullet, the Bear Creek is probably around 5.7-5.8 per bullet. So for about a penny and a half, I get an excellent bullet, fast shipping, always in stock, clean gun, nothing on my hands and dies after reloading, and they look pretty :)

I don't practice enough to make a difference, most of my shooting is at matches so that's another reason I would rather go with MG. When I did get to practice more, I did shoot a lot of plated and moly bullets, especially in the heavier weights.

Everyone has their reasons, these are just mine...

Bear Creek sells only to his distributors, and he is still in biz. A local GM is our BC guy. We pay no shipping, we get our bullets at the match.

I don't practice "just in time" component ordering, so I order bullets long before I need them, when needed I load them all, then order more bullets.

I just went thru this getting ready to load 9mm for the first time after loading 45 for years. For the price diff for 3K I just quit mentally masterbating and bought Montana Gold 147s CMJ. I reload in the house and I know the brass also has lead but that's chump change in the bigger picture. To each his own.

I got Berry's 9mm 115 plated from Graf's for $61, not including shipping (C&R discount). 2,000 fit in the the medium USPS box, I believe it came to about $67 a 1,000. From the prices I've seen and my calculations it was the best bet for the plated versus FMJ.

I didn't think you could get those anymore.

Bear Creek sells only to his distributors, and he is still in biz. A local GM is our BC guy. We pay no shipping, we get our bullets at the match.

I don't practice "just in time" component ordering, so I order bullets long before I need them, when needed I load them all, then order more bullets.

I have been a Bear Creek dealer for years.

I have thought about becoming a dealer here for a long time. If word of mouth/the forum ever picked up my business to where I could have consistent sales, I would be glad to donate to the forum and become a dealer.

In 10k+ quantities, my bullets are cheaper than even bare cast lead bullets.

The only way to get better prices than my moly bullets is to cast them yourself in your backyard.

My Beretta 92 pistols like a particular Lee 124gr plain based, grooved bullet. My Beretta 96 pistols like another Lee design, a Tumble lube 175gr. My Colt Series 80 likes the Lee .452 SWC 200gr. If I scrounge Lead, I can cast my own bullets, very hard, for next to nothing, and at speeds of more than 20 bullets per minute. To do that, I have to have 6 cavity molds and two bottom pour furnaces, and other speedy equipment.

Leading should not be a problem. I cast bullets that are .001" larger than groove diameter. My Beretta 9mm barrels are all in the .3575-.358" range. A Lead bullet that is small will Lead like mad. My Berettas 9mm pistols don't Lead at all with .358"-.359" bullets. My Walther barrels have the same problem with running oversize, but thankfully the chambers will accept a cartridge with an oversize bullet. I have other pistols, especially a race gun Browning High Power that will not accept a cartridge with a bullet larger than .356".

I cast bullets that are hard, and hard bullets Lead less. I scrounge not just Lead, but Tin. Most scrap Lead has Antimony in it, and adding a little Tin causes a very useful hardening of the bullet, especially when I drop the bullet from the mold into a 5-gallon bucket of water. The water bucket also eases hot bullet handling, as the other wise really soft bullets beat each other up.

A good lube will prevent a lot of Leading. The best I've found is NRA formula: 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F or 350. It does give lots of smoke with lower pressure cartridges, and does give some with higher pressure cartridges, but I shoot outside mostly, so it is not a problem for me.

There are some barrels that just don't like Lead. I have a Beretta 96G Centurion that is Police surplus. It had been somewhat neglected in its earlier career, and in addition to being rough on the outside, it's rough on the inside, Leading with everything I've tried.

I have been a Bear Creek dealer for years.

I have thought about becoming a dealer here for a long time. If word of mouth/the forum ever picked up my business to where I could have consistent sales, I would be glad to donate to the forum and become a dealer.

In 10k+ quantities, my bullets are cheaper than even bare cast lead bullets.

The only way to get better prices than my moly bullets is to cast them yourself in your backyard.

Might as well since you promote the fact that you sell bullets often enough.

If you can show me where I can get 1000 147 grain jacketed projectiles for 55 bucks, please do.

That is the price I pay for Moly coated bullets.

Nice price! Care to share your source?

Exactly... Source please!!!!

I shoot Bear Creek 9mm 147 in my Glock and I shoot their 200 grain 40 in my STI.

I get them from a local dealer named Hawk and Raahauges shooting range in Norco, CA where I shoot uspsa/ipsc.

I pay 55-56 for 9mm and about 71 for 200 grain 40 (both in 1000 count).

I read a lot about barrel leading. I have no problem with our bullets. Before I started casting my own I would buy from different bullet casting companies. Most were great. Not a problem with leading, but 1 or 2 companies I used I did have a problem with the leading. I'm not sure if they changed the fomula or what.But, you can save a helluva lot of money using cast vs.plated or fmj bullets. Saving money is why we reload, Right?