Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot gun

buckaroo45

I shoot mostly revolver lately. On longer stages I've gotten a burn blister on my left hand from the hot cylinder several times. I've seen a few comments about one powder being "cooler" than another, particularly titegroup being one of the hotter. I run 4.4 Clays w/ 200 gr lead in my 625. I notice Jerry M and other top revo shooters don't wear a glove but then again they don't take as long as I do to reload. :surprise: Any ideas on a cooler powder or do I just need to wear a glove?

Ron

TY63917

Edited by buckaroo45

I run Clays in my 625 and haven't really noticed I guess?

Solo 1000 may be worth a try though since it does burn a little cooler, several guys I know shooting revos in NRA Action Pistol use it and one of the reasons is that the gun doesn't get as hot on the barricade stage.

Greg

I shoot left handed and my reload sequence pushes the cylinder out with my right thumb.

When I remember to bring it, I use medical tape wrapped around base of my right thumb in case it comes in contact with the forcing cone.

You may want to look at where you get burnt the worst and apply several layers of tape to those areas.

Had an IDPA Master tell me once that he used to use Vhita Vhuori powders for this very reason. He shot K frames mostly. In a 300 round practice session he would have to take fewer and shorter breaks to let the gun cool off. With most other powders he almost had to take two guns, one to shoot while the other was cooling off. You might try some N320, but it's pricey. WST is also a bit cooler than Clays and a great powder in .45.

I have been shooting 4.0 grains of Clays behind a 230 lead RN and while it does get warm, I haven't burnt my hand.

I have been using WST and never noticed the cylinder being overly warm. My club occasionally has ~40 round stages and even with a few extra shots, at unload and show clear it is still cool enough to hold by the cylinder. A really long practice session (whatever practice is) might be different.

Lee

I have not used Clays in my revolver loads bjut I can attest that Titegroup does get the bafrrel and cylinder really hot. I have disconstined use of Titegroup and opted for Trail Boss with lead or plated bullets in the revolver calibers and either WST or American Select in the pistol calibers.

My standard internet answer for things like this is….

"You got city hands Mr. 'ooper!"

ooper.jpg

:P

My standard 45acp load for just about everything is 4.3 grains of Clays and a 230gr bullet, so that's what I use in my 625. Of course I load weak hand so it's not an issue. ;) But I don't seem to recall the gun being hot otherwise.

Have you considered learning weak hand loading?

Edited by cas

Ahoy and thanks for the variety of input. I've decided I don't want to give up the clean burn I get from Clays. Other powders are just to much hassle to clean up and cause problems during a long match. My hands are problematic enough w/ a neuropathy so a gloved left doesn't work very well. It seems my days of trying to emulate Jerry are over. Apparantly I hold hot things longer than he does, ergo burn city. DUH! Weak hand reload here we come. While I was Navy, my Marine buddies had a saying .....

ADAPT AND OVERCOME :sight:

Gettin' old is a bitch and ain't for sissies. Thanks again to all who commented. :cheers:

Ron

TY63917

• 1 month later...

To sorta finish this off, I shot the Florida State USPSA match as a Super Senior this past weekend and finished first revolver. Bummer there were only 2 of us revo types and there's no official recognition for a level II (state) match with less than 5 competitors in a division. Revolvers didn't even get mentioned at the awards ceremoney. Match Director said I get bragging rights but that's all. Beat the other guy by 240 points. Ya gotta wonder where all the other revolver shooters were hiding. There's even an ICORE club in central Florida. None showed up. I'm the only regular revo shooter at my club in South Florida. Maybe we ARE an anachronism but I gotta tell you it's a totally different challenge running revolvers. So much more thought and execution is required than point and pull and pull and pull tho I admit that game is fun in it's own way.

Anyway, to the point. A well seated federal primer and 4.3 grains of Clays under a 230 grain Berry's plated at 1.250 and I made 172PF from my 4" 625. Stages were around 30 rounds. Added a golf glove to the left hand, reloaded weak hand and had zero burns or missed loads. Seems I have adapted and overcome. Thanks to all but thanks particularly to cas above. I stole his thunder and load. :cheers:

Ron

Ty63917

DeFacto Florida State Revolver Champion

Feels funny saying that as I don't feel like I deserve it without having beaten more competitors.

Naaaaa! A field of 2 or 20. I still showed up and performed better than all in my division. The rest of you can try and keep up with a Super Senior with a Smith & Wesson .45. Come and get me next year!. :P

• 3 weeks later...

It's sad, but I have also been to a few matches were the revolvers were the redheaded step children....no recognition and several people mumbling under their breaths about us.....always fun when ya dont end up dead last.....theres always a few bottom feeding brass pukers that get beat by the wheel gunners!! LOL