Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder check DIe

Pizzim

I stepping up to a 650 soon (on order) from my SDB and im wanting to have a powder check station. The problem now is which one Dillon, RCBS or Hornady? I cant find specific information regarding if the Dillon will also "inform" you of a double or overcharge

Edited by Pizzim

I stepping up to a 650 soon (on order) from my SDB and im wanting to have a powder check station. The problem now is which one Dillon, RCBS or Hornady? I cant find specific information regarding if the Dillon will also "inform" you of a double or overcharge

Audiable alert under or over for the Dillon.

Yes, Dillon's Powder Check System will buzz if the powder charge is more than 10% off, either way.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Paul788: Obviously you have NOT used the Lock-out die. It is, in fact, almost too sensitive.

Also, there is no battery that goes dead without warning.

I run the Lock-Out die "loose" so when it locks, I can screw the die in or out a little to free it up. So far, I have not had a load error that it has found, which means I have not had ANY load errors with it on any of my presses.

I give a big thumbs up to the RCBS

Noylj

Your opinion of the product is different than mine. I've used one on three pistol calibers for the past five years. It works for me as I stated earlier. Your telling me I haven't used one without knowing what I do or seeing my press is wrong. I have also used the Dillon on a borrowed press. As you stated the adjustment of the lockout die can be biased to lock at the upper or lower end of the charge. I set mine to lock on a slight overcharge and accept that it will pass an undercharge as I believe this is safer for running a close to max charge. My weighing of charges that the lockout die passed showed a variation on a setting of 3.2 gr of Clays up to 3.3 and down to 2.8.

I also bought mine on the theory that no battery to die and render the alarm useless was a good thing. Doesn't change my opinion that it is less sensitive to variation than the Dillon.

So far as running it "loose" when mine locks I just pull up on the exposed top of the rod to unlock it.

Paul

I moved up to a 650 from 550 the first part of the year. One of the features I like is the Dillon powder check. I did open the sensor area a little to avoid chirps when loading 9mm minor. Case volume varies in 9mm cases by brand and I was getting to many warnings.

While I prefer Lee dies over Dillon, first stage sizer is a little tighter and I like the primer punch design, think I would stick with Dillon on the warning system designed for the press.

You'll enjoy the press wish I had bought one earlier.

I have the RCBs lock-out die and I like it. I cannot comment on the exact over/under sensitivity because I've never tested the ranges.

But, I have had a few instances where either (a) a primer didn't get seated and the powder started flowing-out the bottom of the case or (B) there was junk in the case that was making it more-full than it should have been. Both of these conditions are caught by the RCBS lock-out die.

Edited by SlowShooter