Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How the heck to keep from blinking when I pull the trigger?

TH3180

TRY STEEL CHALLENGE !

If you dont see/hear the target inpact, have to shoot it again or get a miss penality.

You will learn to get BIG EYED and look. LOL

Foam ear plugs under your head set may help too!

Perry

Funny you should bring that up. My last steel shoot of the summer is Saturday.

Some good posts, some not so good.

Read RTR, and Cocobolo.

Yes you can condition yourself to not blink. Bill Drills are also good as are the berm drills. Groups of 6 are good. As you are pulling the trigger with a PURE front sight focus pay attention to all facial muscles, especially those around your eyes. Within several attempts you'll be able to

condition your response.

Blinking, while it is a natural reaction to an explosion happening in front of your face, can be trained to not happen. You should also know that doing these types of drills every so often is required by some. It seems the blink can creep back after you think you've whipped it. So don't

be upset, just do the drills again and get your stone face again.

I suppose if you shoot a lot of rounds daily or weekly the initial fix would last longer. If not just repeat as often as necessary.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Edited by Chris iliff

The blink reflex when the gun fires is a subconscious reaction. So the subconscious must be trained that the loud noise is not a danger to the eyes. To stop blinking you need to preoccupy the sunconscious with another task. In addition to the tricks already mentioned such as double plugging, bill drills, watching the sights lift or the brass exit, try one other trick. Try pressing your tongue up into the roof of your mouth as hard as you can while firing. The students i have worked with have been able to stop blinking in a matter of a few rounds with this trick. Once enough rounds are fired and the subconscious learns that the loud noise is not a danger to your eyes, the tongue press trick will no longer be necessary. Let me know the results if you give this a try.

Dwight

• 2 weeks later...

The blink reflex when the gun fires is a subconscious reaction. So the subconscious must be trained that the loud noise is not a danger to the eyes. To stop blinking you need to preoccupy the sunconscious with another task. In addition to the tricks already mentioned such as double plugging, bill drills, watching the sights lift or the brass exit, try one other trick. Try pressing your tongue up into the roof of your mouth as hard as you can while firing. The students i have worked with have been able to stop blinking in a matter of a few rounds with this trick. Once enough rounds are fired and the subconscious learns that the loud noise is not a danger to your eyes, the tongue press trick will no longer be necessary. Let me know the results if you give this a try.

Dwight

This really worked for me. I have a flinch that I'm working hard to get rid of. This helped tremendously.

Thanks for the tip!

Close your eyes before you squeeze the trigger so you don't blink. (Use the FORCE Luke...)

After your gun goes B A N G, immediately open your peepers and admire your marksmanship. ;-)

IMO the one time you REALLY want your eyes open is when you pull the trigger. Only shooting what you can see presupposes that you are actively seeing at the time you pull the trigger.

Glad you tried it and glad it worked for you. You mentioned you have a flinch issue. Keep in mind that pulling the gun down at or before firing is not a flinch, it's recoil anticipation. There is a big difference. Blinking when the shot goes off is a flinch and is actually easier to correct than recoil anticipation. But, correcting the blink issue is a first step in correcting recoil anticipation (pre-ignition push).

Good shooting

Dwight

Dwight

This really worked for me. I have a flinch that I'm working hard to get rid of. This helped tremendously.

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome thread. Perfect timing for me as well. Saturday when I go to the range I will definitely try the tongue press that Dwight said.

I tried double plugging and it didn't really work for me ... Then I read somewhere that each person is different when it comes to why they flinch and that I had to figure why I was ... Noise? Blast? Exactly what? For me it's the muzzle blast .. I even flinch to some degree while I'm running the timer standing behind the shooter

What I've been doing so far is repeating in my head every time I press the trigger "eyes open, front sight" ... Kind of like my mantra ... While it has worked to some degree, I still have to actively think about it every time I shoot which means there are times it escapes me and then I'm back to flinching.

Thanks to the OP for starting a good topic ...

Edited by spideysteve

What worked for me was shots into the berm. Not fast, just pulling the trigger and watching the sight. Also, I took my SO class to be able to help out. This helped the most IMO. I concerned myself more with watching the shooter and the gun than the bang. It got to the point where I don't even register the bang anymore. If I'm even behind a shooter watching I'm fine now. Now if I'm trying to have a conversation 10 yards behind the firing line I look like I have tourets. :D tick tick tick