Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird TG 9mm experience

echase1

I got ready to test my favorite load under the chrony to get ready for a major match and was surprised by the results. I usually shoot 3.3 grains of TG under a 147gr Ranier plated bullet. This usually yields about 900fps and all is good. Today I was getting ranges to over 1050fps. It was hot (about 85) and very humid, but is TG that temp sensitive? Since I live on a farm, I kept adjusting my load and shooting them till I was down to 2.8 gr of TG and still I was running a 940fps average. It is a new jug of TG as well. I just did not feel confident that I would get tot the match with such a light charge and all be good without worrying about metering issues... Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks in advance.

, I kept adjusting my load and shooting them till I was down to 2.8 gr of TG and still I was running a 940fps average.

One other possibility is that your scale was off - were you throwing

five or so loads, dumping them back into the measure, then averaging

ten loads to come up with the weight you were throwing?

Jack

Calls Shots: I would be very surprised that a scale could be that far off without some massive operator error. If my single toss is 3.3 gns, then my 10 round total will be 32.8-33.2. Some people actually keep the extra decimal place when they divide by ten and say their charge weight is 3.31gn or whatever.

In this case, the rounds were much hotter from sitting in the sun or whatever or the chrony had a problem.

I agree with the question: how did the rounds feel?

The initial rounds should have felt hot if they were actually that fast. You should know what your rounds feel like, particularly when the load is actually "hotter."

The rounds did feel hotter. The only thing I could narrow it down to was humidity. Looking back on it, there was about 90% humidity at the time I was shooting the TG. I switched to Solo 1k for this match and will report what I find out when I break the TG out to load another batch...

Thanks for all of the informed responses from the community.

Well...Found out at our first major match that it was indeed the Chrony. ...CED chrony ordered and experienced gained. I failed to make major and my son was sub minor in production so he shot for no score...Oh well. Learning hurts sometimes.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Well...Found out at our first major match that it was indeed the Chrony. ...CED chrony ordered and experienced gained. I failed to make major and my son was sub minor in production so he shot for no score...Oh well. Learning hurts sometimes.

Thanks for all of the responses.

What Match?

It was the Ga. State Match....our first USPSA Major. It was a great match to shoot.

Now that you mention it, there was a gentleman and his son at the Area 6 match this year who had a very similar experience with the same chrono...

Sorry that happened at your first major...