Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dialing in .40 IDPA Load

Steve Koski

My pansy load for IDPA is presently 3.6 gr WST under a 180 Montana Gold JHP at 1.135" COL. This does 761 fps/136 power factor from my G35 with a stddev of 5. I fired 300 of them at a recent match and had one failure to feed. Probably because of not enough oomph.

Should I go to 3.7 grains? Should I bump down the COL to maybe 1.125?

Your thoughts?

Koski

The lightest PF I got run in my G35 with a stock spring was ~140-145PF. Below that the slide seemed to be is slow motion.

I have a ligher spring but have not tried it yet.

A loca 'smith who works mostly on Glocks told me a 13# spring is good across the board to include factory ammo.

I have always used a 180gr BBI over 3.0gr of plain clays at 1.125. Its about a 150 pf but feels softer than factory 9mm. Its almost cheating.

This is my minor load as well.

Comes out around 145pf in my 35

Seems to run well with a 15 lb spring.

Hmm, running minor with a stock spring. I think your best options have been mentioned already, either bump the load, or go with a lighter bullet. I did the latter plus used the 13lb ismi. The bear creek 140gr moly bullets work well, and the pressure is low enough to not cause leading in the stock barrel.

The G35 slide and barrel are heavier than the G34 equivalents, which makes the recoil feel softer but reliability tricky with the stock spring and minor loads.

OAL is set for funtion, Your gun is feeding fine so I wouldnt change it, The only known constant you can change short term would be to bump up to 3.8 grains, The slide will cylce a bit faster and will probably help your times.

Now for a long term solution, Develop your Major PF load with WST, and 180 gr bullets, then buy the same brand type of 155 grain bullets, do nothing to your die or powder settings, just switch the bullet, you'll come up with a 140 pf load that will still run your gun.

I think you might have to go up 3.8 or even 4.0 . your load is interesting in that I use the same load,but with a 180 gr lead bullet. I get about 750 from my 5" mp pro. usually it takes more powder to move a fmj the same velocity.

I had the 3.6 WST/180 Speer TMJ (different bullet) loads chrono'd at a major match a while back, they made 135 PF. They clock the same overy my Chrony. The dang 3.6'ers give me malf's every once in a blue moon though.

Maybe it is the Glock barrel effect giving a boost in velocity.

Koski

3.6 of WST on a 180 FMJ is a pretty light load. I run 4.8-4.9 gr WST on a 170 LEAD bullet in my STI. You'll probably have to bump up your charge considerably to get consistent feeding, or start replacing springs.

Do you find that the ISMI springs need to be broken in? Im trying to develop a mouse fart load for my G35 as well and am getting several failure to eject. Running 3.6gr of Vhita320 under 180gr PD. Tried a 13# and 11# main spring with same results. I realy didnt notice a difference in the springs when I rack the slide which makes me wonder if spring needs to be broken in. Got it stored at slide lock to help weaken the spring.

Hello: I was using a 13lb ISMI recoil spring with 3 coils cut off and 131PF for my Glock 35 in IDPA. I was also using 155 and 185 grain Precisions at the time. It ran 100% and was very soft and accurate. The ISMI spring will take a set and will not change after that. I would use the 13lb spring and reduce your load down and check accuracy. I think you will like it better :cheers: Thanks, Eric