Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

m&p vs Glock trigger

How does the M&P compare to a glock trigger. I can't imagine it being any worse. How much can be done with aftermarket parts to help out on pre travel and pull weight?

Triggers are about the same factory except M&P has a really weak reset compared to glock.

Apex makes kits for both the pre travel and weight, I dont think the pre travel kit is legal for production however.

I must be the only person on the planet who is bothered by that little safety bump on the trigger of the Glock. It is why I now have two MP's. Any extended shooting with the Glock just drives me nuts. Both of my triggers have been reworked. One 2X's with some Apex parts(has the RAM but can't tell much difference to me). After second rework I really like it and has held up to over 1000 rounds so far. The second I bought reworked which was part of the reason I bought it supposed to be by the top notch guy. Nothing else was correct about what I was told and whoever did the trigger on that one was apparently a monkey with a pair of pliers and a hammer. I am putting a full Apex kit in it just need to decide which one. A GM at my club shoots the tactical kit in his with a Springco guide rod. May give that a go. Course he wears tactical pants to and that probably would just as likely make me shoot like a GM. :rolleyes:

I just purchased an M&P Pro 5 inch and a Glock 17L and both come with the factory lighter triggers. I set out to just purchase the M&P but while looking ran across the glock and ended up with both. The take up on the smith is more intuitive in that it pulls right up to the break and then breaks crisply while the glock pulls up to the same spot and has some creep before breaking, both triggers are light in pull. I have not shot either but a couple of times but sometimes the break on the glock is a little surprise. The Glock definately has a very positive reset but both have a short reset. The M&P feels better in my hand and the trigger feels a little better but so far I shoot the Glock much better but really like both. Both have been flawless but the Glock ejects a shell that hits me on occasion. The M&P seems to like 147's better than 115's WWB and the Glock shoots them both the same.

post-34095-0-18422400-1314375364_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Bolling,

What sights are on your 17L? I put a Bo-Mar adjustable on mine, ended up having to put the tallest (.295) front I could find on it. I have the rear bottomed out and I still hit about 2" high at 25 yards using 125 gr.

I just have the stock adjustable Glock sights, so far they seem fine.

I'm in the process of testing that right now. Been shooting Glocks for years with different triggers (vanek,carver), and they have been really good. But I am shooting a friends M&P with a trigger from a local smith and it is AMAZING! The difference is night and day with the S&W so far ahead that I am actually going to have to switch over. The pull weight is far lighter, the break is way cleaner, the pre-travel is so much less and the overall trigger movement is much shorter. And that is compared to really good Glock triggers!The RAM is absolutely mandatory, without it the pull was great, but I couldn't feel the reset at all-very difficult to shoot well.

I'm actually pretty surprised to see so many preferring the Glock trigger over the M&P in the M&P forum. I would have expected the results to be more lopsided towards the M&P here.

I purchased the M&P a few years ago shortly after it was available because everybody was raving about them. I shot it for about 6 months and I wasn't impressed. These days I run a Glock 34 in Production and my wife "inherited" the M&P. Both have modified triggers and, while I admit that I like the feel of the trigger break on her M&P best, overall I prefer the Glock. The Glock has a very positive reset, its sight seem to track better for my style of shooting and I prefer it's grip angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty surprised to see so many preferring the Glock trigger over the M&P in the M&P forum. I would have expected the results to be more lopsided towards the M&P here.

I purchased the M&P a few years ago shortly after it was available because everybody was raving about them. I shot it for about 6 months and I wasn't impressed. These days I run a Glock 34 in Production and my wife "inherited" the M&P. Both have modified triggers and, while I admit that I like the feel of the trigger break on her M&P best, overall I prefer the Glock. The Glock has a very positive reset, its sight seem to track better for my style of shooting and I prefer it's grip angle.

Shot a G35 in matches for a long time, got used to it, did pretty well for a casual competitor. Tried a M&P 9 Pro, immediately liked the fit and grip angle which seemed to be closer to a 1911 grip angle. My scores/times improved immediately. Since I compete with 1911/2011 guns in other games the M&P grip angle makes it easier to move back and forth between Production/SSP and other divisions with the 1911 platform.

Dropped in the Apex trigger kit, RAM, Dawson FO and adj rear. Sold the Glock and never looked back. It's all about fit/comfort/personal preference and not much else.

I used to shoot a Glock for 3 gun and USPSA/IDPA. I switched over to M&Ps this year and am soo happy I did. My scores have gone up and I find the M&P does what I want it to, instead of me fighting the gun to get it on target. Glocks always point high for me.

For those that don't like the bump from the safety on the Glock trigger, just shave it off. Take the edge of a knife and scrape it until when you pull the trigger its flush with the trigger. I did this with my Glock and it makes it much more comfortable to shoot when working on accuracy.

My backup M&P has a S&W Pro sear and its a nice pull and reset. My competition gun has a full APEX kit and its much smoother, lighter w/ a decent reset. I'm happy with the triggers and don't feel that they are holding me back.

Has anyone tried the new APEX trigger kit that looks like a Glock trigger? I want some feedback on this before I buy it because if I like it then I will have to get one for each gun to keep them consistent.