Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm load not very accurate

GlockCanMan

I am trying to narow down what my problem is with my 9mm loads going through my M&P Pro. While using other brands of 147gr ammo I am getting decent sized groups, so I am thinking it has something to do with my reloads.

I am using MG 147gr with 3.6gr of VV N320 the OAL is 1.15. I am leaning to the problem being my crimping. I have a taper crimp, but am not sure if I am over crimping or under crimping. Or do I need to go out and start with a light crimp and just work up to a tight crimp?

How many pounds of pressure should it take before I can push the bullet into the case further even after a good crimp has been applied?

I am trying to narow down what my problem is with my 9mm loads going through my M&P Pro. While using other brands of 147gr ammo I am getting decent sized groups, so I am thinking it has something to do with my reloads.

I am using MG 147gr with 3.6gr of VV N320 the OAL is 1.15. I am leaning to the problem being my crimping. I have a taper crimp, but am not sure if I am over crimping or under crimping. Or do I need to go out and start with a light crimp and just work up to a tight crimp?

How many pounds of pressure should it take before I can push the bullet into the case further even after a good crimp has been applied?

There is nothing wrong with your load - I have 3.7gr/N320, all else is the same.

Reset your crimp die. For crimp measurement, I take a factory round and measure the case mouth and set to that. Give that a go and report back.

Depending on your brass, your outside case diameter after the crimp should be approximately .376-.378. I'll check that number when I get home but I'm pretty sure that's about right.

I have a few 9Pro's and I haven't had any jacketed rounds not have good results. I had a few plated rounds that weren't great but I could still get okay groups with them. I also use N320 for my minor loads and it's great. I have some Zero 147s at the house, I'll load those up when I get time and try to put that info on here.

Now I'm new to reloading, but when I was initially testing my first batch, I loaded 10 rounds of each. They all had different OAL's (1.120", 1.130", 1.140", 1.160") each had the SAME powder charge, and I found that the 1.140"'s seemed to be more accurate, in my gun. I would try to reset your crimp die to .376-.378" like gng4life said (mine are in that range), and test the different OAL's. I would also test a few different powder weights with the above OAL and see which is most accurate.

I'm new to this forum and what a lot of great info . If I may suggest ? I use Alliant Power Pistol for all my loads . 9mm,40,45acp. I shoot Gssf etc. Not sure how dirty it is compared to Say, Titegroup but it meters very accurate in my Dillion and recoil is med, soft . Yes, I shoot a Glock, 17 and 34.and 21. I have a KKM barrel in the 17. Very good accuracy !

Give it a try, hope this helps

P.S. - I just wanted to add : You really should,nt need to crimp much at all, only enough to straighten out the case. ( unless you,re having feeding issues ). I agree, try a couple different powder loads of same powder to see which is more accurate, cycles better and recoil. Too light and your slide my not cycle completely. Too hot and recoil becomes an issue, therefore affecting accuracy ! Let us know how it goes for you !

A bullet should not push into the case no matter how hard you lean on it.

And remember with crimp it is a game of opposites to much crimp will actually lessen the cases ability to hold a bullet in place. On 9mm just remove the bell and you will be around .376 as others have said.

And stick to N320. It's one of the very best powders for 9 minor.

I've had very good results with FN lead 147gr bullets. I'm shooting them at OAL 1.150 with 3.1gr of Titegroup. I get good groups at 20 yrds.

I'm also getting great results with Hornady HAP 125gr over 3.7gr Titegroup with OAL of 1.145. These bullets are a little more expensive, but they are very accurate.

In general, I find that with my Glock 34 and my M&P Pro the longer I can get my OAL the better for accuracy. I run my Glock 34 rounds out to 1.160 and they shoot very well.

You'll need a crimp dimension of .376 to .378 I would be more incline to ensure that your making enough PF to give that 147g a chance to stabilize. 920-940 fps is the sweet spot for accuracy with my G34 and 147g FMJ's. 1000 fps for my 135g loads and the Spartan. I found playing around the power factor floor detrimental to accuracy with heavy bullets in 9mm.

I am using Bear Creek molly 147 grain TC and am at 962 fps. Minor power factor requires 884 fps for a 130 PF with that weight bullet. But like BoxerGlocker, I am scared to change what is working. :unsure:

I have been saying that I had to really crimp my 9mm to keep the 147 g bullet from slipping out of the crimp. But my crimp for the last year has been .376 - .378. I was crimping at .380 since some factory PMC ammo held that crimp.

I am shooting a M&P Pro 9mm.

I am using Bear Creek molly 147 grain TC and am at 962 fps. Minor power factor requires 884 fps for a 130 PF with that weight bullet. But like BoxerGlocker, I am scared to change what is working. :unsure:

I have been saying that I had to really crimp my 9mm to keep the 147 g bullet from slipping out of the crimp. But my crimp for the last year has been .376 - .378. I was crimping at .380 since some factory PMC ammo held that crimp.

I am shooting a M&P Pro 9mm.

Interesting, the Hornady bullet feeder says to bell the case to 378 so crimping at that bullet would fall out if you turned if you turned the case upside down, except for neck tension. I consider .376 minimum crimp with mixed range brass.

With 147gr and Clays I had bad accuracy with N320 no problem. However, I was using Zero 147 JHP's loaded out to 1.145 in a CZ Shadow. Compare the length of the factory 147gr with yours, that might be the answer, you length seems very short to me, the 1.145 fits all my CZ's and Sig226, STI's etc. Have you tried changing primer brands? I use Winchester SPP, I don't know that a Tula wouldn't be less accurate.

What is the velocity? Crono results ES SD etc?

You'll need a crimp dimension of .376 to .378 I would be more incline to ensure that your making enough PF to give that 147g a chance to stabilize. 920-940 fps is the sweet spot for accuracy with my G34 and 147g FMJ's. 1000 fps for my 135g loads and the Spartan. I found playing around the power factor floor detrimental to accuracy with heavy bullets in 9mm.

I concur, 147's are right on the edge of what many 9mm's can stabalize. Add some gunpowder. I found a couple guns I had keyholed 147's unless I get the velocity up tp around 140 pf. Sorta why I switched to 124's