Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Email match results

LINC

Shot a match on Saturday, got an email that evening with the results from USPSA. When you go to match results on the site now it takes you to the ones you shot. Pretty cool feature. I looked around and was suprised no one had commented on that yet.

Features and data are updated separately, so these are not correlated with the update on the 15th (but the summary of your matches coincidentally was added at about that time).

Now, the trick is to convince all clubs to upload results to www.uspsa.org. It's fine for clubs to continue to post to their own web site as well, but more features are planned that will run off the upload to uspsa.org.

The staff at the nationals will probably (depending on cell phone internet connectivity) upload results a few times a day during the nationals, which means competitors who have registered an email address in their profile at www.uspsa.org will get some scores while they are still on the range.

rob

Nice feature.

Another nice feature I noticed was the match results for all the matches I shot since 10/2010 on the match results page of USPSA.org.

Great feature. I don't have to dig for what I have shot.

Posted at the same time as Rob. I was going to say now to get all the local clubs to upload their results every time...

Edited by furyalecto

Another nice feature I noticed was the match results for all the matches I shot since 10/2010 on the match results page of USPSA.org.

We switched from file based to a database based results storage in 10/2010. It was not practical to convert the legacy results to the new format due to various different revisions of EzWinScore over the years and some subtle issues with the uploaded files, so certain new features only apply to matches since that date (previous results remain on the web site).

I was holding off on this (and some other things I have planned) until there was a decent inventory of matches uploaded under the new system.

USPSA can suggest uploading results to customers, but what will really make the difference is if the paying customers start to demand it. If you want the results from matches you shoot on USPSA.ORG, let the match directors know.

Now, the trick is to convince all clubs to upload results to www.uspsa.org. It's fine for clubs to continue to post to their own web site as well, but more features are planned that will run off the upload to uspsa.org.

I suspect some clubs may still prefer to e-mail or post results to their own website to keep the unofficial combined results with the official results. In small clubs with only a few shooters in some divisions, the combined results may do a better job of letting a shooter know how he did than the official results that only show the B class Single Stack shooter outshot the D class Single Stack Shooter.

I suspect some clubs may still prefer to e-mail or post results to their own website to keep the unofficial combined results with the official results. In small clubs with only a few shooters in some divisions, the combined results may do a better job of letting a shooter know how he did than the official results that only show the B class Single Stack shooter outshot the D class Single Stack Shooter.

Clubs are welcome to post to their own site as well as www.uspsa.org

The local clubs that I shoot at do both. We email results, with the un-official combined results, and also post them to USPSA.

Clubs are welcome to post to their own site as well as www.uspsa.org

That's what we do (www.bootheelpistol.org), but I have talked to MDs who are less tech savvy or who don't want to send users to two different websites and stick to what someone set up years ago because it's easier. A one click upload might get a few of these clubs to send match scores to USPSA.

SNIP...stick to what someone set up years ago because it's easier. A one click upload might get a few of these clubs to send match scores to USPSA.

Really, from 3 clicks to 1 click would make that much of a difference? Once the results are calculated in EZWinscore, it is three clicks. Might take all of 5 seconds. Maybe 2 seconds if you are a GM... :surprise:

SNIP...stick to what someone set up years ago because it's easier. A one click upload might get a few of these clubs to send match scores to USPSA.

Really, from 3 clicks to 1 click would make that much of a difference? Once the results are calculated in EZWinscore, it is three clicks. Might take all of 5 seconds. Maybe 2 seconds if you are a GM... :surprise:

Given that I know MDs who don't upload now "because it's too much hassle", I think the answer is yes.

If you're tech savvy, it's no big deal to 1) compute results by division, 2) save file, 3) Open a browser, 4) Go to USPSA.org, 5) go to club support, 6) go to "upload results", 7) find the file on your hard drive, 8) upload the file, and 9) double check for mistakes. Obviously, a great many of us do this after every match. But there's really no reason this couldn't be combined into a one button macro that would, among other things eliminate the need to open a 2nd application or dig through your directories. I think the same thing is true for uploading classifiers and updating the EZWinscore file.

I think USPSA is doing a good job with the current system, and there's a lot to like about EZWinscore. I'm just making a feature suggestion that would make life easier for less tech savvy users, and make the software a little more polished.

BB

Given that I know MDs who don't upload now "because it's too much hassle", I think the answer is yes.

If you're tech savvy, it's no big deal to 1) compute results by division, 2) save file, 3) Open a browser, 4) Go to USPSA.org, 5) go to club support, 6) go to "upload results", 7) find the file on your hard drive, 8) upload the file, and 9) double check for mistakes. Obviously, a great many of us do this after every match. But there's really no reason this couldn't be combined into a one button macro that would, among other things eliminate the need to open a 2nd application or dig through your directories. I think the same thing is true for uploading classifiers and updating the EZWinscore file.

I think USPSA is doing a good job with the current system, and there's a lot to like about EZWinscore. I'm just making a feature suggestion that would make life easier for less tech savvy users, and make the software a little more polished.

BB

If you do a persistent login, and follow your procedure, right before you upload, save the page as a favorite ont he desktop...cuts out a lot of the steps. Maybe it is just a training issue.

SNIP...I think the same thing is true for uploading classifiers and updating the EZWinscore file.

I agree that somewhere before "Calculate Results" there should be a Macro that updates the classifier file. I can see some valid reasons for not wanting to combine the classifier upload, but each user should be able to configure their application to either do it automatically, or not as they choose. I for one hope that USPSA eventually requires uploads to USPSA.org. Will help weed out the clubs that never pay the fees and or run matches without even being an official club.