Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 caliber load for competition

Puma

I would like to hear from experienced reloaders as to their favorite major loads for a 6 inch STI Eagle. Please break down the information as much as possible ( Weight, type of bullet etc.). I would also like to hear why they may have preference for a special powder. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Puma

spend an hour or a month reading this subforum its all there, and it isnt there. Your searching for magic.

320, tightgroup, WST, Solo1000, 180-200 grain bullet Moly or jacketed,

Tightgroups a little smokey, WST is a little temp sensitive, 320 is expensive and sometimes hard to get, Solo1000 has lot to lot inconsistencies.

jacketed bullets cost more than Moly,

All in all it just doesnt matter and wont amount to anything on the timer and scoresheet. They all will be ok, pick one, load to PF, and shoot.

Edited by Joe4d

5.2gr Universal Clays, 180gr Zero JHP. 1.180 OAL. Schuemann barrel. 174PF. I find Titegroup much harsher than UC. TG smokes terribly with lead and I shoot both 175gr LSWC (over 4.8gr) and the JHP load. UC was also cheaper than Titegroup.

I was going for the "push" of my .45 1911 so I can swap back and forth with no difference in felt recoil. It works for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot what I got. Got a great deal on 12 lbs of Clays and 8 lbs of Longshot. Worked up a load knowing that I could make Major without even trying with Longshot. How low could I go and still make Major and have decent accuracy? Looks like it is 5.9 grains.

Figured I could not make Major with the Clays and still keep it at a safe level, I was wrong it appears. Put together a load of 3.7 grains behind a Precision Moly 185 at 1.155" which still fits in my Glock mags. Chrono says an average of 921 fps which is 170 PF. Would I want to load this at an OAL of 1.125? Not really but Sierra 5 says a max load is around 5 grains for a 180 grain bullet at 1.125 so I do not know. As it is my load is very accurate, soft, and shows no signs of excess pressure.

12 lbs at 7000 per pound makes 84,000 grains. Even at 4 grains that is 21,000 cartridges. Add the 56,000 grains of Longshot which are good for another 9,500, and I have over 30,000 rounds I can shoot before I run out of powder.

I'm all about CLEAN. The push/ snap goes away for me after the buzzer, so my sole concern is how clean the gun stays, which in my mind equates to long term reliability.

I shoot 165 JHP MGs (I get more of them using 165s than 200s), N320 at 1.175". Powder is around 5.3gr.

YMMV.