Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building an Open Tanfoglio

easycreeper

Cliff's Notes: Can't decide between the Gold Team and Limited. Is the Gold Team better if in the future custom work is to be involved? Reputable Tanfoglio gunsmiths? /Cliff's Notes

This topic might or might not be better addressed in the Open Pistols section, but I thought I should start here first...

Currently, I have an EAA Witness Match pistol chambered in .38 Super. Well, it's probably the least expensive gun that I own (<$300 at a local pawn shop) and yet, it's my favorite to shoot. I really just like the way the gun feels in my hand and I shoot it more accurately than my other pistols (more practice might change that...).

That being said, I am contemplating the purchase of another Witness pistol, this time a brand new pistol from the upper echelon of EAA's offerings. Between the Limited and the Gold Team, I can't decide on which would be the better purchase with future modifications in mind.

I really want to own an open pistol and I figure either choice would end up going to a gunsmith in order to make the gun everything that I want it to be. So, the question is: Is the Gold Team worth the premium over the Limited or would I be better off purchasing the Limited and having a barrel and comp fitted (and trigger job, refinish, etc.).

Also, if anyone can suggest reputable Tanfoglio gunsmiths, I would be most appreciative. Right now, I'm pretty impressed with Canyon Creek.

Thanks, guys and gals!

This is my $.02, but I don't run Open so take it for what its worth.

The limited has a cone barrel, and I don't know how you would get a comp fit to that. You'd have to get another barrel probably, then a comp, then have to have a cone bushing built.

Then you'd need slots cut in the slide and other slide mods. I think in the end you wouldn't be into it for what a Gold Team costs.

shooterbenedetto is selling a Gold Team on the forums, so you might want to check that out:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132830

The only issue you have now is the lack big stick mags. But that problem can be solved with some $$.. :)

I had a Gold Team V8 and a Limited that Henning, and Canyon Creek built into a Open V6. The Custom V6 shot much better than the Gold Team V8. I ended up selling them when I switched over to STI's, but if I was going shoot a Tanfo in open again I would have one custom built up from a Limited. Just my dos centavos.

I have been thinking about this exact question. Seems like gold team is the most cost effective, but i dont know how it performs.

JorDanO: Why did u switch from tanfoglio to STI? which do you like better?

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't realize that things wouldn't be quite so straight forward if the Limited was chosen because of the cone barrel... Should have done a little more research before popping my question.

Jeff686: Are you referring to a lack of aftermarket barrels in stock or are you referring to an absence of any company that manufactures aftermarket barrels? I see some Briley barrels for sale on Henning's website, but that doesn't mean that they are still in production.

JorDanO: Like PHX, I would like to hear your impressions between the STI and Witness series pistols.

Would any of you have suggestions regarding other brands or models to pursue for open modification? Glock is surely right up at the top (I have a 34 and it's a great gun), but I prefer to shoot guns that feel like boat anchors in the hand. Straying away from the Witness seems like sacrilege, but it there are better and more cost effective options out there, well, they're worth considering.

I have an open Tanfo Gold in 38 super. I had Canyon Creek do some work on it and then had to send it off to another gunsmith to fix what he screwed up! I have also had a Brazos gun in the past. I like the extra weight of the Gold and it shoots flat. My .02 cents for a gunsmith is Greg Peine @ Peine Custom Firearms.

There is a nice CzekMate on Gun Broker new in the Box, if I didn't have 4 STI Open guns I'd give it it a run, at $2895 its a steal. Not the Bertha Butt heft of the Gold Team but probably heavier than an STI. I had a Gold Team 38 Super V8 sold it to Jordano.

The main reason i switched is I wanted to shoot 9 major instead of 38 Super. Plus, while Henning makes a lot of great parts for the Tanfos, it's hard to beat the aftermarket support for 2011's. I have thought about trying out a Czechmate since i shoot CZ's in Production, but I'm too heavily vested in the 2011 platform now.

That CzechMate is one heck of a lot of gun for the money! I really wish I had that much money to spend right now... At the moment, I was looking to stay around $1600 or preferably less with the option of improving the gun later on (hopefully by the beginning of the year).

JorDanO: Sorry to bother you with another question, but why couldn't you shoot 9 major with the Tanfo? Was it because of the feeding problems that have been encountered?

If I decide to go the route of the Limited, can anyone approximate how much more would have to be put into the gun to have it ready for the open class? I certainly don't kid myself that I would be competitive in that class, but it just looks like so much fun to be able to take advantage of all of that technology.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Jeff686: Are you referring to a lack of aftermarket barrels in stock or are you referring to an absence of any company that manufactures aftermarket barrels? I see some Briley barrels for sale on Henning's website, but that doesn't mean that they are still in production.

Would be interested in an answer to this myself... my V12 is dead now and needs a new barrel (the "link" portion of the barrel, where the slide stop goes through, is FUBAR). Was going to either (a) buy a new barrel and have a comp + cone fitted or (B) sell it as a "project gun" to somebody who wanted to put the money into a new barrel + comp setup (as some may wish to do anyway on a V12, to cut down on the ridiculous-ness of its porting).

If barrels aren't available, then that kind of prevents either route for me.

Yes, aftermarket barrels are made. I've been waiting for several months to hear from Henning or Rich that they are in stock. Henning said something about having to wait for Briley to run another batch, and that could be a while.

I bought the custom v6 from jordano and ran it almost a year before switching to STI's myself. I liked the gun, just had a few issues with it that ended up being my ignorance, by they were much harder to diagnose with that platform.

It is a good platform if you are dedicated to it and get to know Henning and Rich at canyon creek. They will take care of you.

I had a Gold Team V8 and a Limited that Henning, and Canyon Creek built into a Open V6. The Custom V6 shot much better than the Gold Team V8. I ended up selling them when I switched over to STI's, but if I was going shoot a Tanfo in open again I would have one custom built up from a Limited. Just my dos centavos.

I shot the same custom V6 Jordan did for over a year and also had a V12 for a brief, loud, violent time. I run an STI platform in Open now but if I were to switch back I would have one custom built also. Does that make this quatro centavos worth of advice????

I just don't think that you can get a Limited built into a good open gun with mags for less than the Cost of the Czechmate at $2895. There are not many of them out there and the one guy that writes about his here on the forum likes it.

Open guns are all about personal preference, if you want a bertha butt gun, put a tungsten guide rod in it, a brass mag well, bull barrel, full slide and a 7 port steel honker comp. Should check in at about 60 OZ.

The real problem with having your first open gun built is you have no idea what your preference is, since you have not been shooting open. Try to shoot a few and see where it takes you.

For example I like the Edge in a limited gun, heavier is better, in an open gun I like it as light as I can get it, production gun CZ Shadow again to the heavy side. I don't shoot tupperware. I'm with Jordano, 9 major, when it is 108 it just hurts me to watch those guys out there hunting for their brass, I don't miss painting them with dykem either. Sure I expletive when loading when I hit a WCC or GECO piece of crimped brass but better than spending more time bent over than shooting.

Find a good used gun < $2000 and give it a run if it don't work out, sell it get your money back and shoot something else. It is fun but it is not as easy as it looks. :surprise:

Thanks for the advice CocoBolo. I have indeed shot an Edge as well as an open 2011 and to tell the truth, I very much like the 2011 platform. 2011s feel more natural in my hand, but I tend to shoot my Witness better, so I thought that might be the best route. Looking for a used gun is sound advice and is probably the best choice right now. Guess I'll keep watching the classifieds!

Thanks for everyone's help and input. Can't say the choice is any easier, but I go in armed with more knowledge for when the right gun comes along.

Walkure - send me a pm if u wanna sell your V12. It would be fun to rebuild.

Easycreeper - check out the custom gold team in the classifieds right now. Looks like a sweet setup for the price and its obo.

Personally,i have the sti and the v12. having a smaller hand and the way the beavertail is cut the sti feels a bit more comfortable..i just got the gold team and it came with two barrels ported and non.. Not sure how many more are out there like that, but that way you have options on how many ports!! the v12 is loud as mentioned, but it shoots flat and love it just as well..I put on rubber grips and now its hard to put down...the aluminum ones look cool but the rubber is the only way to go for me..

the gold team basicially comes set up, but like all of us who like to dink with them, youll always want to change things..and I 've yet to get/buy a big stick so im running 21rds..

Try to git someone at the range/ match who has what you like..most people are more than happy to let you shoot and check it out..I only wish there was a gun dealer here who would let you do that before you buy!!! that would be awesome..

Good Luck, do your homework before buying!! its alot of pocket change, but then its an investment also!!- Get what you want the first time!!

Bullwind