Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSG 1911

bmiller

Looks good KFN. Almost identicle looking to mine. I too found the flat mainspring housing to help but not completely fix the GS problem. Shoot the heck out of it and have fun.

Did you re finish the pistol to get rid of all the atrocious laser writing they put on them? That was the first thing I did to mine.

Edited by mpeltier

I just fixed the GS issue. Just had to keep straightening the 3rd leaf of the Sear Spring (a LOT) until the tension went down.

HAPPY

I haven't refinished but I used some Aluminum Touchup (which is just Selenium) and it darkened the Paint and even removed some of it completely.

Some day I'll spend more time and get rid of the 'fine print' but it is a lot darker anyway.

I have been thinking about a magwell. Is it hard to by pass the mag disconnect? Do you think the factory grip safety could be used if you tweaked the spring?

The Mag safety is as easy as taking out two parts.

The Factory safety should be fine.

I had dented my GS anyway (dropped it) and had just cracked my thumb safety in half ANDwas having the Grip safety sensitivity issue so I was in the mood to upgrade.

With a Magwell flat MSH andntweaked spring you should be good to go.

Does any one know how to adjust the Extractor on the GSG?

(not like a standard 1911)

I have figured out how to get to it at least.

The whole Breech assembly was full of grit so that might have been causing my feed problems.

The Extractor has a little spring on it and dirt could have easily been keeping it from moving

• 2 months later...

I bought one recently and have really enjoyed shooting it with my kids. It's very reliable and pretty accurate. Mags are about $30 ,but are very reliable. It's going to be a Steel Challenge pistol for my kids. :cheers:

After much frustration not being able to shoot my M&P22 because there are no magazines, I became aware of this GSG-1911.

I got mine a few weeks ago and I really like it. The other shooter in my family says she wants to use it as her new Rimfire pistol. I should have bought two ;)

I know I'm "showing up late to the BBQ after the food is already cold", but here's my thoughts on it:

The video starts with me introducing the gun at a cowboy-action range (Because this is where our club hosts Rimfire events), explaining the features of this firearm some of the things I like and don't like about it, then towards the end there's video of the gun in-action.

Link for mobile devices:

Edited by SlowShooter

I don't have one... I had one. -.-

Inside the first 500 rnds it broke it's guide rod and spit it right out the nose. cheap cheap metal. I returned it and dropped the store credit on a Kimber Rimfire Target. No probs yet.

I suppose the man with the lathe could whip up a nice replacement rod out of steel. That weakness removed I suspect it would run forever. Accurate...ish.

One pro however... I liked the weight of it. Had a nice heft

I don't have one... I had one. -.-

Inside the first 500 rnds it broke it's guide rod and spit it right out the nose. cheap cheap metal.

Not sure if this is your exact issue, but apparently there was a "known-issue" with the barrel bushing and they upgraded the barrel bushing with new material:

Something about testing your barrel bushing with a magnet and if it doesn't stick, you can ask them for the new version? I didn't have a GSG-1911 back then so I don't know for sure.

Reference: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467480

My only problem is I occasionally drag against the slide with a finger and cause a Misfeed.

I noticed that, happened twice while I was filming my video (I had shot a whole box of 550 rounds).

One other thing I noticed was sometimes when I gripped the gun It would cause the safety to slightly move upwards into a halfway position, not enough to "click" to Safe position but enough that it prevented the gun from firing.

I finally shot mine a couple of weeks ago. My observations as follows... Intial few mags were painful. Lots of FTF, FTE, not returning to battery. Broke it down and recleaned and ran it really wet with some FP-10. Started getting more reliable. I had installed a set of pacmyer grips and had to modify them to work with the ambi safety. I didnt remove enough materil and broke the ambi safety. Replaced the safety and installed the original grips and it was fun to shoot. I am going to install soem sights to mirror my Springfield and it should be some fun.

I still havent bought anymore magazines due to other guns and the addition of a second jeep. Man I need to pick some less expensive hobbies!

Greg

I have had the guide rod break. Purchased a stainless one from cw accessories, and some mag bases. Nice people. Tried out my new guide rod and broke a firing pin. Called ati and they are shipping me a new one free of charge. I do like the pistol, hope it quits breaking!

Just an update. My gf broke in her GSG at a recent 5 stage Steel Challenge match. Then she shot through with it again. It ran perfect with Blazer ammo (40g, high velocity). For the record, I go with Blazer most all of the time. It runs all of my 22's well. And, it is cleaner than it used to be.

I have had the guide rod break. Purchased a stainless one from cw accessories, and some mag bases. Nice people. Tried out my new guide rod and broke a firing pin. Called ati and they are shipping me a new one free of charge. I do like the pistol, hope it quits breaking!

my club purchased 6 of these for our nra pistol classes, so of the 6 guns we've broken 4 firing pins,to be fair these guns have been dry fired a bunch, but so has everything else we've bought and never had so high a failure rate.

a local machine shop made a one without the cutout for the firing pins safety where all the other ones have broken, and he told me to dryfire it a ton to try to get it to fail.

I told him if these work out,he could sell a bunch of them, but he flat out told me it wasn't worth the paper work to find out if the design is patented

my club purchased 6 of these for our nra pistol classes, so of the 6 guns we've broken 4 firing pins,to be fair these guns have been dry fired a bunch, but so has everything else we've bought and never had so high a failure rate.

Are you comparing the GSG-1911 vs other Rimfire .22's that are dry-fired alot?

or comparing the GSG-1911 to other Centerfire pistols that are dry-fired alot?

Because I can't think of any .22 that is fit to take prolonged dry-fire practice.

Are you comparing the GSG-1911 vs other Rimfire .22's that are dry-fired alot?

or comparing the GSG-1911 to other Centerfire pistols that are dry-fired alot?

Because I can't think of any .22 that is fit to take prolonged dry-fire practice.

the gsg's replaced 3 S&W 422 22 long rifle auto pistols that smith used to market as plinkers, and 3 taurus 22 revolvers that were all maybe 15 years old, the smiths broke 6 firing pins in that time, and the taurus's 4. and those guns were not babied, all of the chambers had been peened from the firing pins striking the edge of them and had to be ironed out.

we also have 3 ruger mark II autos, and the newer smith 22A and those guns have never broken one yet

the gsg's are maybe 6 months old, and we've broken 4. I don't know if it's a design flaw or lousy material, but a gun should be able to go 500 rounds without breaking one.

Slowshooter,

In your video you say that your thumb safety sometimes flips up and cause the gun to go in to "safe" mode. This won't happen if you shoot with your thumb on the thumb safety like it is designed to be shot. :D Just a helpful hint.

Here is mine. Tactical with rail and threaded barrel made it easy to add a dot and comp with no modification to the pistol. I did have to relieve the underside of the optic mount to clear the slide though.

gsg1t.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Kali