Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSG 1911

bmiller

gI just picked one up but I have not gotten out to the range yet to fire it. I am going to post a question if you perform a trigger job on one of these guns the same way you do a regular 1911. Also can you pin the grip safety the same way also.

I have one and like mine. I've had it for about 6 months but I honestly only have ~200 rounds through it. Only one malfunction, it eats Federal, Remington, and CCI that I've tried.

Also, I believe 80% of the lower uses stock 1911 parts, so you can change out a lot.

I picked on up a couple weeks ago and, have put about 500 rounds through it. So far, I have had one FTE (on the first mag). Other than that, it runs really well. The accuracy is OK and seems to be getting better as it gets broken in. As others state, the trigger isn't very good and the sights could be better. But, those are easily corrected. I run it with a little light slide glide and it is good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these several months ago and have yet to put a round through it. I plan on using it for steel challenge so i can continue to shoot the 1911 platform. i didnt know mags for it would be 40 bucks a piece.

I have about 2,500 rounds through mine.

I broke the Thumb safety doing LOTS of Draw, safety off, safety on reholster reps and lots of live fire single shot reps.

I also broke a Mag baseplate doing lots of mag change reps. Mags are metal with plastic base (I got new Baseplates see below)

The Trigger on mine is good (especially after the breakin)

I don't like an Arched Mainspring Housing...my hand misses the Grip safety doing fast Draw.

I'm going to put a Colt MSH on it (have to use the factory spring though!)

I have now put an Ed Brown memory Grip Safety

Dawson Sights

Colt non Ambi Thumb Safety

plunger/spring

Fusion Grips

Grip Bushings/Screws

Mag Basepads from CW Enterprises

I just a replacement Recoil spring.

I probably have changed other things that I'm not remembering but fire away if you have any questions

I bought one of these GSG's in a deal. The guy never shot it.

Is it worth keeping?

I bought one recently and have really enjoyed shooting it with my kids. It's very reliable and pretty accurate. Mags are about $30 ,but are very reliable. It's going to be a Steel Challenge pistol for my kids. :cheers:

Has anyone cleaned up their triggers yet?

Joel

I did mine. Its pure vanilla 1911 inside. Same procedure as any 1911. Easily got mine to a crisp 3 lbs. Also changed the sights to a set of Dawson's and changed the mainspring housing to a flat one. One note about that. Make sure to get the little retaining pin that captures the mainspring cap if you change the mainspring housing as the one that is in a standard GSG is differant. Replacing the mainspring housing also gets rid of the magazine disconect.

I picked one up so my wife could get used to the 1911 platform. She still hasn't shot it but I've put a few bricks through it already. I had a few FTFs but that was because I didn't clean it till well into my second Federal bulk pack. My only complaint is the grip safety isn't always deactivated with a high grip. If I swap the arched MSH for a flat one the problem should be solved.

My only complaint is the grip safety isn't always deactivated with a high grip. If I swap the arched MSH for a flat one the problem should be solved.

Probably not. Mine had an issue like that as well. Took a few strokes with a file in just the right spot on the grip safety to make it appropriately sensitive. The mainspring housing really has no effect on this. There is a tab on the grip safety that when depressed clears the trigger bow to allow the trigger to be pulled. This spot needs a tiny bit of material removal.

My only complaint is the grip safety isn't always deactivated with a high grip. If I swap the arched MSH for a flat one the problem should be solved.

Probably not. Mine had an issue like that as well. Took a few strokes with a file in just the right spot on the grip safety to make it appropriately sensitive. The mainspring housing really has no effect on this. There is a tab on the grip safety that when depressed clears the trigger bow to allow the trigger to be pulled. This spot needs a tiny bit of material removal.

I have the same issue and I changed my Grip Safety to an Ed Brown and still have to grip cafrefully and will sometimes miss the GS....I've already bought a flat MSH but haven't installed yet. The arched MSH keeps my hand from making good contact with the GS.

FYI

When changing the MSH, you have to use the factory Spring.

Also, the Mag safety has to be removed if you change out the grip safety.

I have the same issue and I changed my Grip Safety to an Ed Brown and still have to grip cafrefully and will sometimes miss the GS....I've already bought a flat MSH but haven't installed yet. The arched MSH keeps my hand from making good contact with the GS.

FYI

When changing the MSH, you have to use the factory Spring.

Also, the Mag safety has to be removed if you change out the grip safety.

I was going to swap the MSH anyway because I prefer the feel of a flat one but if that isn't enough I'll break out the files.

One note about that. Make sure to get the little retaining pin that captures the mainspring cap if you change the mainspring housing as the one that is in a standard GSG is differant.

YES

I didn't know about that detail when I ordered my MSH.

I just changed mine out...

Took a Round File and opened up the retaining pin hole on the new MSH (Poly Colt) and was able to use the Factory Pin.

Feels WAY BETTER now.

And as you said...I can still make the Grip Safety "miss" happen if the web of my hand is REALLY high and I am riding the Thumb Safety really high.

The Flat MSH in my case does help but the issue is still there.

Will tweak my GS now.

Dawson Front Sight, Fusion Rear Sight, Fusion Grips, replaced Screws/Bushings, Colt non ambi Thumb Safety, Ed Brown GS, Colt MSH, CW Enterprises Basepad.

Internally I put in a DLASK "Red" Recoil Buffer (factory one wore completely flat) and have just replaced the Recoil Spring (worn out...around 2500 rounds) ordered from ATI.

I'm done with parts replacement until the Slide Release goes...

a79ffeb4.jpg

Edited by KungFuNerd