Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talkative shooters behind firing line!

GlockSpeed31

I use electronic ear muffs to enhance hearing while on the range, but I can swear that when those LAMR words fly in the air, the only other words I will hear are "Shooter, AUR" "Standby" and "beep".

I honestly can't recall having ever heard something else.

It's some sort of mind filter that lets in only those words that count on the line.

In the end, I guess I'm just paying attention to what really matters in those moments.

It is "Are you ready" and it is more a statement than a question

Ah raht, ah ready, are you ready (it 'usta be shooter ready a long time ago)? But it "is" a question, a yes/no one at that. Yes = no action and No = a shake of the head, or other negatory action.

A response of some understood form is required, one answer just requires no answer (hows that for a zen type thing?)

There is that great Rush Lyric that goes "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice". Anyone able to quote the rest of the chorus this comes from?

--

Regards,

As long as the talking isn't super loud it's no big deal, but when there are 3 or 4 different groups of people talking, and they are all really load, it's just one more thing to have to block out. <_<

Sometimes it bothers me and sometime it doesn't. When it does, I generally turn and tell them to shut the hell up. Of course I use to be a golfer and understand how rude it is to the competitor to hold a conversation(s) while he's trying to focus on the range commands and beep.

My hearing is getting to the point where having a bunch of people running their mouths while I'm waiting for the commands and beep means that all I hear is a close equivalent to static.

We expect people to be quiet when golfers putt so they will not be distracted, but it's alright to make as much noise as you want when a highly adrenalinized, middle aged, overweight guy is about to start running with a loaded gun.

Anybody else see issues with that?

Let the shooter focus on the task at hand. When I RO, it's quiet when my shooters start. It's the fair thing. Everyone should have the opportunity to shoot the stage the same way.

Well it isn't golf it is shooting. If you want a sports analogy lets compare it to basketball for a change. When a player is on the free throw line people are screaming at the top of their lungs, they are waving objects in his field of vision and everyone is staring at him. It is up to that individual competitor to rely on their training, their discipline and make that shot. You don't hear those guys complaining that it wasn't the same noise level when the last guy shot a free throw and, if they are in the NBA, they have million dollar careers on the line.

I don't think it is cool to make the kind of ruckus that you might encounter at a professional sporting event when you are watching someone shoot. I also don't think it would be cool if we had the "hushed crowd" that golf and tennis have. There is a middle ground and, thankfully, that is what I have encountered almost every time I have been at a match.

-ld

they are waving objects in his field of vision

Wave objects in my field of vision while I'm shooting... see what happens. :P

Okay! Just for you we need a stage that has one popper which activates a dozen or so swingers! Throw in a few bobbers and I think you will have plenty of stuff to wave in your field of view! :lol:

-ld