Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some N320 Chrono Results

CBags04

To CBags04: Do you have any explanation why 3.7g of N320 produced lower velocities using Precision Delta 147g vs Precision? I noticed the difference in OAL 1.14 vs 1.12 for the Precisions. Do you think this was the reason for the decrease in velocity? Which load shot better in your opinion?

Edited by The_Vigilante

Do you have any explanation why 3.7g of N320 produced lower velocities using Precision Delta 147g vs Precision?

I'm not the OP but a ot of it is the faster ones were moly coated lead and the others were FMJ.

Greg

To CBags04: Do you have any explanation why 3.7g of N320 produced lower velocities using Precision Delta 147g vs Precision? I noticed the difference in OAL 1.14 vs 1.12 for the Precisions. Do you think this was the reason for the decrease in velocity? Which load shot better in your opinion?

I would have to guess it was both the shorter OAL, and that the PD's jacket is harder than the moly coating on the Precisions. The two 3.7gr loads felt about the same, which they were both pretty soft. The 3.5gr feels stupid soft though, even at 138PF.

Edited by CBags04

Just gonna throw my two cents in here because nobody asked;

I recently did some testing with n320 and unique in 9mm under 147 bayou bullets. I am a big fan of n320 and wanted to go to it for all calibers, but with this particular setup, I could tell absolutely no difference between the two powders at a given pf. I bought a keg of unique and that should last me a while at 3.5gr a lick.

It's n320 for 40 and 45 for me though. It rocks in those two.

I recently did some testing with n320 and unique in 9mm under 147 bayou bullets. I am a big fan of n320 and wanted to go to it for all calibers, but with this particular setup, I could tell absolutely no difference between the two powders at a given pf.

Did you notice any other disadvantages of the Unique?

Very dirty, flash, smoke, noise?

I haven't used Unique for anything in 20 years, and

I've heard they've changed the formulation - so my

can of 20 year old Unique no longer is being made,

but it was awfully dirty.

Jack

As far as it being dirty, I don't think it is much dirtier than anything else. I have shot approximately 4k rounds through my cz shooting nothing but unique and I haven't done any cleaning other than a field strip cleaning.

I have heard lots of people say that unique is dirty, but I clean my guns regularly so that isn't much of an issue for me.

CZ75B, same powder and load under 125JHPs gives me the the "SAME" avg you got with the G17

I also have some Montana Gold 124gr JHP's on the way and, as soon as I get them, I plan to chrono them to see how they compare. What I like the best so far is that this is by far the cleanest powder I have ever shot. The accuracy is not bad either. I finished today's practice with some slow fire shots off-hand at a target at 15 yards and I could have covered the resulting group with a half-dollar coin.

Do you find it odd that your velocities increase from shot 1 to shot ~20 in ~1 fps increments like that?

Could be the gun heating up?

I should have clarified that, the way that the shots are written on the spreadsheet is not the order in which they were shot. I sorted them in ascending order. I apologize for the confusion.

CZ75B, same powder and load under 125JHPs gives me the the "SAME" avg you got with the G17

I also have some Montana Gold 124gr JHP's on the way and, as soon as I get them, I plan to chrono them to see how they compare. What I like the best so far is that this is by far the cleanest powder I have ever shot. The accuracy is not bad either. I finished today's practice with some slow fire shots off-hand at a target at 15 yards and I could have covered the resulting group with a half-dollar coin.

With those JHP MGs I used maybe .1grs more n320 and same 1.10" for the same 132-ish PF. The conical-nose MG JHPs have less headspace in my CZ.

CBags - The only thing I saw is you need to back it off a bit. My target velocity for 147gr minor is 900 fps, plenty of fudge factor for major matches. Did you notice your ES and SD climed with more powder?

There are lots of explanations for the variance in velocity, even if we exclude the occasional powder slop when loading. 9 mm range brass is definatly enough to cause those kind of swings, I just wish these noobs would buy better ammo so we could pick up better brass when they leave it.

N320 is good stuff, its the only VV I use, and for an Open guy that says a lot, I've tried lots in open 3N37, 3N38, N350, N105 but don't use any of them. The only thing I found that comes close with 9 mm and 147gr is Clays and I didn't like the accuracy.

If you can't find VV N320 try some IMR7625, yeah I know makes no sese, but it works very nice, being a bit slower is also cuts back on the pressure.

Notice I can't spell till I have finished my first cup of coffee, still working on it.

Edited by CocoBolo

CBags - The only thing I saw is you need to back it off a bit. My target velocity for 147gr minor is 900 fps, plenty of fudge factor for major matches. Did you notice your ES and SD climed with more powder?

There are lots of explanations for the variance in velocity, even if we exclude the occasional powder slop when loading. 9 mm range brass is definatly enough to cause those kind of swings, I just wish these noobs would buy better ammo so we could pick up better brass when they leave it.

N320 is good stuff, its the only VV I use, and for an Open guy that says a lot, I've tried lots in open 3N37, 3N38, N350, N105 but don't use any of them. The only thing I found that comes close with 9 mm and 147gr is Clays and I didn't like the accuracy.

If you can't find VV N320 try some IMR7625, yeah I know makes no sese, but it works very nice, being a bit slower is also cuts back on the pressure.

Notice I can't spell till I have finished my first cup of coffee, still working on it.

Thanks for the advice. I like the way the 3.5gr load feels, and I am hesitant to go lower. Reason being that the brass looks like it is hardly getting out of the gun. I will make some 3.3's or 3.4's and see how those do.

With those JHP MGs I used maybe .1grs more n320 and same 1.10" for the same 132-ish PF. The conical-nose MG JHPs have less headspace in my CZ.

I have had about the same experience as well. With 4.2gr of VV320 and 124gr MG JHP I get @ 1075 avg. fps. I thought I might have lost a little velocity when I had my barrel IonBonded (less resistance).

I thought I might have lost a little velocity when I had my barrel IonBonded (less resistance).

I did not know that when a barrel was refinished, they also treated the inside of the barrel... Hmmm, I just learned something new! :o

But yeah, it makes sense that the loss of friction = loss of pf.

Edited by Cy Soto

Here's my general results from the other day with N320:

124 MG JHP

OAL: 1.160

.376 crimp

Win Brass

Federal SPP

~90 degrees.

~80% Humidity

No clue on elevation-- but Southern Mississippi.

All out of a G17 factory barrel (30k+ rounds). 20 shot strings.

3.9 grains

Avg: 980.5 FPS

SD: 12.4

ES: 46.8

Hi: 1005

Lo: 958.2

4.0 grains

Avg: 997.3

SD: 10.8

ES: 42.5

Hi: 1022

Lo: 979.5

4.1 grains

Avg: 1020

SD: 9.0

ES: 38

Hi: 1043

Lo: 1005

Notes: I believe the ES and SD will drop as I get more consistent with my press motion, as most of the rounds were VERY consistent. Whipped up some 4.15-ish rounds and some 4.2 as well, and should be able to chrono those in the near future. I also resprung the Glock (13#), which may or may not effect these figures. Starting with 4.0s again to find out. 1.160 (ES of .004) feeds 100% through all 6 mags, loaded anywhere from 1 to 17 rounds. 1.165s (with .005 ES) did not-- so I'm humping the hairy edge. May drop that .005, for peace of mind. Primer flow was nearly identical to factory Federal 115s, with only a TINY bit of sharper lines on 1 out of every 50 cases or so. Still within VV's specs by a comfortable margin.