Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choices...

I am tearing out my hair since I bought this gun... everything has a choice... Mags... simple right? Ok.. Stock STI, Dawson tuned with Dawson Followers, Dawson tuned with STI followers, Brazos tuned with Dawson bases, brazos tuned with Grams bases, Superior tuned, Rescomp <sp> ... This is going to kill me... Then I have 50 choices for a mag button... I don't feel like I should buy the best because I am not even an A class shooter but I don't want low end stuff either. How do you make these decisions??

:devil:

Because the gun is personal, it does require an investment of time to explore and experiment to determine which choice is right for you. Often an equipment recommendation may work fine for one shooter/gun but not at all for you or your gun. It takes time (and often a little bit of $$) to find what works for you.

The shooting community is usually very willing to let fellow shooters try everything from guns to rigs to yes, even magazines. This is perhaps the best way to get to know other shooters as well as try stuff without throwing down for a set of mags (tuned or not). Just be sure to reciprocate.

Then, if you want to try that <insert item here> order it up. I'd suggest that you shoot what you have and only add or change one thing at a time. But no matter how logically or systematically you approach this sport, you will inevitably end up with far more stuff than you need to actually shoot. That's what the Classifieds are for... :roflol:

I am probably way over thinking it. The mag thing had/has me stressing. One of the guys at the range said tuning is not nearly as important with .40 as it is 9mm or .38 I ordered a few stock STI mags and I will probably supplement thse with a set of tuned mags from someone... Then the next big decision.... OAL lol :cheers:

sounds like you have a 2011 pattern gun. Limited or L10? mags are the heart of the pistol, if you plan to shoot in major matches I'd say a set of tuned mags are definitely worth it. the way I see it if you spend big bucks on air travel, hotel, car rental, match fees and the time and money for practice, tuned mags which work perfectly are a small one time investment aside from changing out mag springs once in a while. Dont want a malfunction in a big Level III match that was attributed to suspect mags. Id much rather blame a shitty match perfomance on myself instead of equipment; taking one more variable out of the equation. Mags tuned by any reputable smith are good to go

For practice/local matches factory STI mags are OK. from what I've gathered STI mag bodies work great with Grams springs/followers for max capacity in Limited (not a concern for me with local matches cause of the communist Hawaii 10 rnd rule). Basepads are a personal choice. I run stock STI mags for practice/local matches and a tuned Brazos set for big matches. Mag release buttons are another personal choice. they're cheap enough to experiment with. look for something that is relatively low profile. some of the bigger buttons may be accidentally activated during table starts or while shooting. I like the Brazos Cyclone on my Limited and Open guns

sounds like you have a 2011 pattern gun. Limited or L10? mags are the heart of the pistol, if you plan to shoot in major matches I'd say a set of tuned mags are definitely worth it. the way I see it if you spend big bucks on air travel, hotel, car rental, match fees and the time and money for practice, tuned mags which work perfectly are a small one time investment aside from changing out mag springs once in a while. Dont want a malfunction in a big Level III match that was attributed to suspect mags. Id much rather blame a shitty match perfomance on myself instead of equipment; taking one more variable out of the equation. Mags tuned by any reputable smith are good to go

For practice/local matches factory STI mags are OK. from what I've gathered STI mag bodies work great with Grams springs/followers for max capacity in Limited (not a concern for me with local matches cause of the communist Hawaii 10 rnd rule). Basepads are a personal choice. I run stock STI mags for practice/local matches and a tuned Brazos set for big matches. Mag release buttons are another personal choice. they're cheap enough to experiment with. look for something that is relatively low profile. some of the bigger buttons may be accidentally activated during table starts or while shooting. I like the Brazos Cyclone on my Limited and Open guns

Thanks Blaster. Yes, it is a 2011 (looks kind of like the one in your avatar) and I am shooting limited. I have only shot local matches in USPSA so far; I have shot a couple of bigger matches in IDPA. You make a good point, my brain causes enough issues i don't need a match further complicated by equipment issues! The mag button that is on it now is an Ed Brown and it seems to stick WAY out there, although I am just going from memory since I got the gun sunday and shipped it out to the chrome shop on Monday. Thanks for the replies.

2011-07-31_09-21-10_762.jpg

I wouldnt pay for tuned mags, but I'm pretty handy with things, I also wouldnt pay for factory mags as your wasting money on stuff you wont use. Order the bare tubes, from Brownell's also order dawson followers and the reccommended ISMI factory style springs, and dawson SNL pads. when you get the tubes the bare tubes, no pad or followers, should insert and drop free. If they dont they are defective, return them for another, dont pay for "Tuning". The factory style springs made need a single cut to fit the follower which comes with a template, or they may sell the springs already snipped. But other than that and unlike some other setups the dawson actually will go in and work. They will hold 19 reloadable, 20 to start. might get one that holds 21. Buy one rescomp tube if you can find it and install a 3mm bolen pad, bolen follower and spring, that will hold 22, only use it for stages with no reloads where the round makes a difference, as it wont last forever and the tubes arnt as durable.

For OAL, load to 1.180 with a 180-185 gr bullet over WST and forget about it for awhile and enjoy. Longer might have chamber issues depending on bullets. All my 40's , para, SS and STI run that length of RN FP and HP just fine.