Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to IDPA

STIGUY

Just picked up an XDM 5.25 and the local gun has weekly matches. What do I need to get up and running such as mag holders, belt etc.

From what I understand I need a regular type belt (have Blackhawk CQC) mag carriers....have DAA, but probably will purchase the Blackhawk brand sold locally at Academy etc. How many? Have three mags (do I need more? Also have a concelment vest. Shooting glasses, eletronoc muffs and ammo. What am I missing?

Nothing other than mag pouches. Get 2 single ones, instead of the double if you can. The mag pouch and holster that came with your XDM should be just fine for a while.

3 mags are fine, more are a luxury.

I use the inner belt from my CR Speed set up.

From the rule book:

"Gun belts may be no wider than 1 ¾” or thicker than 5/16” and must pass through the pant loops."

Local clubs are supposed to require IDPA membership (many don't for your first match) so I'd suggest a $40 / year membership (

http://www.idpa.com/) at some point.

The rule book (available on line under the "About IDPA" link at

www.idpa.com) will discuss equipment in great detail. I don't know what the DAA mag pouches look like I can't comment.

• 3 weeks later...

At my club, 100 rounds Might get you through 1.5 indoor matches... if that night has short stages. Now on the outdoor matches, bring at least 150 for 8 stages.

I would always bring 200 to any match to have enough for a re-shoot if necessary.

At my club, 100 rounds Might get you through 1.5 indoor matches... if that night has short stages. Now on the outdoor matches, bring at least 150 for 8 stages.

I would always bring 200 to any match to have enough for a re-shoot if necessary.

I was just kiddin' :blush: ... depends on the club :cheers: My experience with IDPA was too little trigger time and too much waiting. :wacko:

In any event, focusing on the OP's question, other than the belt you've already said you need, I can't see that you're missing anything. Personally I would invest in one more magazine. You can do IDPA with three mags, but four (one to use as a Barney mag) is a great time and motion saver during Load And Make Ready.

In any event, focusing on the OP's question, other than the belt you've already said you need, I can't see that you're missing anything. Personally I would invest in one more magazine. You can do IDPA with three mags, but four (one to use as a Barney mag) is a great time and motion saver during Load And Make Ready.

XDm mags hold about 19 so there wouldn't be a need for a barney mag.

I was just kiddin' :blush: ... depends on the club :cheers: My experience with IDPA was too little trigger time and too much waiting. :wacko:

Could we not go down the IDPA isn't as good as XXXX road?

I would never do that, I love and respect all shooting sports... just bored at work.

XDm mags hold about 19 so there wouldn't be a need for a barney mag.

I guess you could download your first mag to 11, but I still load my LAMR mag to 10 and use a Barney mag. It's just such a part of my pre-shot routine.

That is one way of always making sure you don't load too many.

After LAMR, I chamber a round, then thumb out ten from the mag, then count them again as I fill the mag back up.

It's the only way to be sure.

Koski

I keep my 11 round mag in my front pocket, and after LAMR I chamber a round from it then remove the magazine and check the witness holes to make sure there are now 10 rounds in it. Glock witness holes never lie, right? :wacko: