Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide not staying open after last round fired

leros

First, what is the main cause for a slide to not stay open after the last round is fired from a magazine? Would a weak recoil spring or weak load cause the problem?

Now here's my problem, I shoot at least two times a week at my local indoor range. I have eight, 8 round mags and each trip the range I generally shoot them two times each so that is 128 rounds, 6 of the 8 are just a few months old. My problem is that intermittently after the last round is fired the slide doesn't always lock back. It doesn't happen every time, my mags (Chip McCormick Power Mags) are numbered but I haven't noted if it is happening to a specific one or two.

I am shooting Rainier 200gn SWC bullets with 4.2 gns of Clays which are very accurate. I'm shooting a custom built Baer that is about 6 years old and has seen very little use (I stole/bought it from my neighbor). Before I bought the gun it sat for more than a few years with no use.

I just adjusted my powder drop to 4.3gns but have not loaded any rounds yet to see if this will make a difference. Should I call Baer and order a new recoil spring? Does the recoil spring have any effect on the slide staying open on the last round?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is getting frustrating. I'm getting ready to start doing some USPSA and IDPA shoots and don't want to deal with this.

Thanks

Edited by leros

It is either a weak load

OR

The gun and mags are set up to not lock back on last round.

With an empty mag in the gun does it lock back if you pull the slide back all the way?

Edited by Kevin Sanders

Your load is the standard 200gr load. Light load is not it. Too light recoil spring? Nope. Lighter makes it easier. Too strong, maybe.

Mag springs may be weak as posted above. Also, look at the surface of the slide stop where the plunger engages it. Put a little oil on the tip of the plunger. When my gun starts to do that it always been the mags.

Sounds like a magazine issue. Take good notes on the range next time and see if you can diagnose which mag it is. Make a few dummy rounds and cycle them through your gun to see which mags have problems locking the slide back. Once you diagnose which mags are the culprit, you can decide whether its a follower issue, spring issue, etc etc.

With an empty mag in the gun does it lock back if you pull the slide back all the way?

Yes it does, the problem doesn't happen every time, it's intermittent.

My guess is weak mag springs.

Shoot it again and this time isolate the problem mags.

A weak load could also cause it, but a weak recoil spring wouldn't.

Too strong of a spring could.

Two of the mags are older and all are numbered so next shoot I will note which mags are having a problem. My original thought was a possible weak load but I use a Dillon 650 and the powder drops are pretty consistent that's why I increased it from 4.2 to 4.3 grains to see if there is a change. But it would be smarter to isolate mags first before shooting new loads.

Your load is the standard 200gr load. Light load is not it. Too light recoil spring? Nope. Lighter makes it easier. Too strong, maybe.

Mag springs may be weak as posted above. Also, look at the surface of the slide stop where the plunger engages it. Put a little oil on the tip of the plunger. When my gun starts to do that it always been the mags.

I knew the load wasn't light but I was thinking it could have been a light powder drop in a few rounds. I just cleaned the gun the other night and did oil the plunger. Sounds like it is a mag problem.

Sounds like a magazine issue. Take good notes on the range next time and see if you can diagnose which mag it is. Make a few dummy rounds and cycle them through your gun to see which mags have problems locking the slide back. Once you diagnose which mags are the culprit, you can decide whether its a follower issue, spring issue, etc etc.

The dummy round idea sounds good, I will make some tonight. I will try and shoot today at lunch and take notes on which mags I'm using when it doesn't lock back.

Thanks everyone for the help. It sounds like a mag problem is my culprit and I'm hoping it is my two older mags. I posted this question on the 1911-dot-com site also and am getting similar answers. A couple responses did add that my thumb might be hitting the mag release and causing the problem, I did add a Dawson extended button but I don't think I'm hitting it.

Edited by leros

My guess will be something magazine related.. I have recently had some of the same issues with some WC mags. All mine were numbered though so i just pulled them out of rotation until i could test them further! Theres nothing worse then going to a match and not hitting slide lock on a stage,

I have seen a lot of guys ride the slide stop with there grip. it can really mess with you in idpa if you dont know thats whats going on. might want to start doing tac loads instead.

Jeremy Hardin

Problem fixed!! Thanks again for all the replies to my problem. I shot Monday noting each magazines final shot to watch for the slide locking. Every mag did not lock the slide after the last shot, now my problem is not intermittent anymore it's happening every time now! I loaded all the mags again and this time paying attention to where my thumbs were while shooting, sure enough my thumb was riding the release. Once I adjusted my grip, the gun and mags functioned perfectly with the slide locking every time on the last shot fired.

This handgun thing is pretty new to me, I have always owned handguns but hardly ever shot them. I have been an upland game hunter for many years, I shoot a lot of the clay games (trap, skeet, 5 stand, and sporting) and I'm pretty good with a shotgun in my hands. I've never really enjoyed shooting a handgun until I got this Baer and I learn more every time I shoot it. I'm shooting my first Steel Challenge in a couple weeks and I'm glad this problem is cleared up.

It's nice to be able to turn to a community like this and get answers to problems. Every time I get on the this forum or the 1911 forum I learn something new so thanks again for your help.