Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People using the reference S_I

MattBurkett

Okay, something I have been seeing on the forums lately is people using S_I when trying to describe the pistols. The only time S_I would be appropriate is when you are discussing holsters as they both may fit in the same one.

SVI and STI are different companies with significantly different products!

STI is a middle of the road mass production facility.

SVI is an innovative high end custom production company.

I hate it when people don't know the difference in the products and quality!

I see a lot of people make the mistake of calling them a 1911 as well...or a "steel gun".

In fact, people will call just about any hunk of steel a 1911...be it a Mil-Spec 45...a custom built wonder 9...a tactical monolith...etc.

I have great respect for Matt, but I'd disagree if it weren't allowed. Same patent. Parts compatible.

I'll definately agree if we're discussing the companies or specific products themselves for some reason. They are very different companies, with very different ways of doing business, and indeed different product lines.

But.. we need some generic term can we use to encompass the plastic-n-steel framed widebody pistols we're all familliar with as a general concept.

A rattletrap AutoOrd 1911 is a "1911" just like a $3000 full-house IDPA 1911 is a "1911".

Innovation just for the sake of being different isn't great. What it boils down to is forged vs cast, and there isn't a dimes worth of difference. Ask Ruger...

You can have all the forged parts for lots higher costs, all the interchangable breech faces you might want, on and on...

They are both plastic and steel guns with lots of interchangable part, nuff said...IMO I don't think one is appreciably better than the other regardless of price or forgings...

I'd disagree if it weren't allowed. Same patent. Parts compatible. Who built it isn't usually relevant. 

Agreed.

Roger that.

What about McCormick Gun Racer? Is S_I/MGR okay? They're both match sponsors and apparently an STI is okay for the USAMU, Chris Tilley, Mike Voigt, et. al. I say run what you want and who cares what you call it when you're typing and looking to economize on letters. :D

Rich