Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid question... Does my "in the white" gun need a finish?

Yes - if you don't want it to rust. Saltwater air is more corrosive than freshwater air. You can keep it wiped down with an oily cloth, but that should just be till it gets some kind of surface finish.

If you want it dark, Black T by Birdsong is a fine choice. Tough tough stuff. No rust. It's been years since I had one done, back then choices were black and olive drab.

I don't know the current price. You send your gun to them.

Edited by whistlepig

Bluing will not save your gun from corrosion even if you sprayed the gun down with a rust inhibitor or even cosmoline grease and plastic bagged it before storage when living near the beach or humid salty areas. I had a brand new custom 6" gun rust up in 1 week after doing exactly what I mentioned above. A lot of shooters are switching from hard chrome to DLP or PVD ceramic powder coating. for Hard chrome try metaloy now that tripp doesn't plate anymore. SV has infinicoat DLP, CRN, PVD in clear, black, light grey, and gunmetal grey. IONBOND is the industry standard for these new finishes.

Personally, I have no experience with anything except hard chrome, cerakote and gunkote, but after speaking with Brandon at SVI, He claims that they don't offer Hard chrome anymore do to compromising the metallurgy via means of I believe "hydrogen embrittlement". I personally think that after owning a used SVI that was hard chromed by Virgil with now over 100k through the gun after the first 60k, not a single scratch or ding, hard chrome for $2-300 vs $600 is an easy choice for me. I'm not a flashy guy either so I go satin finish. I haven't seen a PVD gun with 160k on it yet so only time will tell.

JL

One of the best finishes for guns is the salt bath nitride finish which is basically the Tennifer finish on Glocks. Freedom Gun Works has an equivalent process called atranite. Salt Bath Nitride finishes have more corrosion resistance than hard chrome and electroless nickel and have negligible thickness so nothing would need refitting.

It is very permanent though so get all the machine work done before it’s finished.

A lot of shooters are switching from hard chrome to DLP or PVD ceramic powder coating. for Hard chrome try metaloy now that tripp doesn't plate anymore. SV has infinicoat DLP, CRN, PVD in clear, black, light grey, and gunmetal grey. IONBOND is the industry standard for these new finishes.

Personally, I have no experience with anything except hard chrome, cerakote and gunkote, but after speaking with Brandon at SVI, He claims that they don't offer Hard chrome anymore do to compromising the metallurgy via means of I believe "hydrogen embrittlement". I personally think that after owning a used SVI that was hard chromed by Virgil with now over 100k through the gun after the first 60k, not a single scratch or ding, hard chrome for $2-300 vs $600 is an easy choice for me. I'm not a flashy guy either so I go satin finish. I haven't seen a PVD gun with 160k on it yet so only time will tell.

JL

You have a gun that has shot over 160k rounds.... :surprise: WOW.

So, I was leaning towards hard chrome now I may have to re-think the whole thing. I kind of like the stainless/hard chrome look the brushed or matte finish but I don't want anything to break...

Hardchrome is best, Black T, ION bound, tennifers are second best, all are in the 2-3 hundred range and gun needs to go out.

Durakote, gunkote, cerakote, are in the third best class and can be done at home for about $40 or so, These work well and are very corrosion resistant, They will wear and chip though.

You have a gun that has shot over 160k rounds.... :surprise: WOW.

So, I was leaning towards hard chrome now I may have to re-think the whole thing. I kind of like the stainless/hard chrome look the brushed or matte finish but I don't want anything to break...

at least! I bought an SV used from someone who claimed to have approximately 60k through it. That usually means at least 65-75k+. I have put over 100k according to my range diary. Shuemann ultimatch .400 barrel still has another 50k to go at least as I followed mike's instructions to only run oil patches through it.

Remember when reloading components were considered cheap? I did a lot of live fire practice to get away from the wife during a rough patch. I used to shoot 1000+ rounds a week for almost 2 years. then ammo got really expensive, and my son had a lot of health issues, so I dedicated my time to family. it kept me grounded for a while.

I'm not advocating what brandon said about hard chrome at all. I have a stainless IMM open pistol I'm buying and will get it hard chromed when the time is right. I have a glock, and the tennifer coat does scratch and wear. I had a screw loose (yes I know) in a DOH kydex holster that pushed a T-nut insert into the inside of the holster and scratched my slide down to the metal. glad it was only a glock. until these other finishes are proven, I'm sticking with hard chrome

JL

at least! I bought an SV used from someone who claimed to have approximately 60k through it. That usually means at least 65-75k+. I have put over 100k according to my range diary. Shuemann ultimatch .400 barrel still has another 50k to go at least as I followed mike's instructions to only run oil patches through it.

Remember when reloading components were considered cheap? I did a lot of live fire practice to get away from the wife during a rough patch. I used to shoot 1000+ rounds a week for almost 2 years. then ammo got really expensive, and my son had a lot of health issues, so I dedicated my time to family. it kept me grounded for a while.

I'm not advocating what brandon said about hard chrome at all. I have a stainless IMM open pistol I'm buying and will get it hard chromed when the time is right. I have a glock, and the tennifer coat does scratch and wear. I had a screw loose (yes I know) in a DOH kydex holster that pushed a T-nut insert into the inside of the holster and scratched my slide down to the metal. glad it was only a glock. until these other finishes are proven, I'm sticking with hard chrome

JL

The salt bath nitride (tennifer) process adds a black oxide layer which colors the gun black. The black oxide can wear, I have plenty of holster wear on mine, but the metal underneath is still protected because it is a metal treatment, not a coating.

My Glock 35 has real bad holster wear but I shot in the rain and the only thing that rusted were my DP sights. Ok, well I am pretty sure I bought a gun! :cheers: it is the limited gun that is in the classifieds so I will be needing an education! it is this one...

IMAG0260.jpg

Be aware that hard chrome will also rust if you don't take care of it, always lubricate before you put it away and don't seal it up in a plastic box or other container unless it has rust preventive inside with it.