Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Aftermarket Drop-in Barrel for Lead

gonbzrk

The concerns about lead bullets in Glock polygonally rifled barrels do not apply directly to moly coated bullets, as far as I am aware.

I shoot Precision coated bullets through my stock barrels. I checked for velocity changes that I have read would be an indicator that the bore was getting heavily leaded and didn't find much that worried me.

Edited by kevin c

Kevin C I think you're correct. I normally use S&S cast bullets, but I tried some of the new Bayou Bullets a couple of weeks ago. Almost no fouling at all. I believe coated bullets could be used in factory barrels with little concern for buildup.

The concerns about lead bullets in Glock polygonally rifled barrels do not apply directly to moly coated bullets, as far as I am aware.

I shoot Precision coated bullets through my stock barrels. I checked for velocity changes that I have read would be an indicator that the bore was getting heavily leaded and didn't find much that worried me.

Kevin, how are you cleaning your barrels after a match? I am shooting Moly Billy Bullets and the owner suggested Simple Green which I have been doing for months, but I am not sure it is good enough! Blake suggested Shooters Choice of which I am using now. What are your thoughts?

The OEM barrels just get a dry phosphor bronze brush run down the bores a few times. That gets done every few matches when I detail strip and clean, mainly because I just don't like having a really dirty gun (though the Glocks keep running just fine). I too have used Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's if there seems to be some stubborn buildup.

When I did shoot lead through my Limited 2011 guns, I'd occasionally squirt some Kroil down the bore after plugging the muzzle, then the chamber, and would brush them out after letting the bbl sit for a bit. Seemed to make the buildup come out easier.

Edited by kevin c

Downrange58, I have not had any trouble removing lead/moly buildup with Shooter's Choice or the good old Hoppe's #9.

Thanks PF73! Those two and simple green are the regimen now...:). Sometimes one just needs a little reassurance!

The OEM barrels just get a dry phosphor bronze brush run down the bores a few times. That gets done every few matches when I detail strip and clean, mainly because I just don't like having a really dirty gun (though the Glocks keep running just fine). I too have used Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's if there seems to be some stubborn buildup.

When I did shoot lead through my Limited 2011 guns, I'd occasionally squirt some Kroil down the bore after plugging the muzzle, then the chamber, and would brush them out after letting the bbl sit for a bit. Seemed to make the buildup come out easier.

Thanks Kevin! If you are willing, I'll have you take a peek at my barrel next time out, to see if I'm doing okay? C ya soon!

My G35 stock barrel and Precision Delta's were doing fine. Then without a good cleaning between the moly's and some jacketed I put a donut about halfway down the pipe. I think stock and moly combo moly is fine.

I replaced with a KKM barrel and it is a marked improvement in accuracy over the stock, plus the brass doesn't come out with a bulge.

Factory barrels are great for Moly.... I shoot BBI 147gr 9mm and 180gr .40 in my G34/35's and they shoot great.

I've shot about 12,000 rounds of BBI 147's through my Glock 34 with no problems. I might have cleaned the gun 3 times during that period, too. :D

I have a Jarvis on a 35 and no complaints but purchased it more for a better supported chamber than lead/polygonal worries. (It's no more accurate than the OEM glock barrel) +1 on cleaning the lead out before switching to jacketed bullets, I have heard the same with .45-70 rifles when switching and they have conventional land/groove barrels.

The difficult part is to find some lead bullets that shoot well with the polygonal rifling.