Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is the 930 reliable?

sdm74

Looking for answers from guys that have fired alot of shots through there 930. Was thinking of getting fn but buds was out of stock. So I read a few threads that sparked my interest in the 930. Also how much cash would I have to put into it to get it up to speed? Ie: barrel cut and threaded, nordic extension, clamp, sights and anything else I would need to have a good 3gun shotgun.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Do not get the spx model as it is for police & set up for heavy only. Get the 930 field & it will run it all very reliable. Have about 1600 rds through mine & only a bolt release pin broke early on, but hey, any roll pin can break. Have had no stoppages when shooting.

My 930 SPX has been very reliable. I got one of the first ones when they came out ('09?) and have fired somewhere over a 1000 rounds or so. As to loads, man, this thing eats anything. So much so, that I've been challenging myself to use the lightest stuff I can find. At my last tac3 match, I used Remington MR 7/8oz load at 1100 fps with no hiccups whatsoever. My only real mod has been to have a poly-choke installed and run it at full choke.

I use the 1100fps/7/8 load and Rem light target only for clays every other weekend as well with good results (for me)

To Benny's point above, the SPX is not the ideal configuration (short barrel / LPA) for Clays or matches, I'd take a look at the standard 930's as he mentions. Good luck!

I just got email from mossberg that the competition model will be out late summer

Meaning full specs and price announced or actually on the shelves in gun stores?

here is email

Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, this model will be available by late summer as to when we don’t have exact date All our shotguns are currently in unusually great demand; we've increased production on all models and are shipping to distributors as best we can. Best option is to have your dealer order your model from his distributor(s) to get into the queue. Please log in at our Dealer locater so you can find a nearby dealer that might have this gun available.

http://www.mossberg.com/dealers/dealers.asp?section=resources

The gun will be very custom build for 3-Gun as prescribed by Jerry Miculek, Benny Hill and Kurt Miller:

Black Composite Stock – Matte Blue Finish

24” Vent Rib Barrel w/ NO PORTING

Choked barrel to include 3 choke tubes: I.C., Mod., Full.

Front Green Fiber Optic Sight – No mid-bead

9 Round magazine tube w/Barrel clamp (+1 for total of 10 round capacity)

Bolt release button to be drilled and Nordic Bolt Release button added

Bottom loading port will be rounded for easier/faster loading

I have what used to be a 930SPX and it has always been 99.9% with over 15k rounds now. I've had one stove pipe in it's entire live and that when was when I was trap shooting for the hell of it trying to make some quick money.

I basically removed all the SPX parts though. I put a 24" "Edna" Non-Ported Barrel and a + 4 Tube for USPSA Limited. But, I did shoot about 500 rounds through it when it was an SPX though. Before I shot it for the first time I followed everyone's advice and cleaned the HELL out of it before before shooting it and never had one problem. Mossburg puts some THICK grease in it from the factory.

I prob clean it after 2 or 3 tournaments every 200-300 rounds which is prob overkill because I've never had any problems and am lazy about lubing it between tournaments.

33nz255.jpg

Every one that I have seen has been reliable as long as you don't let the mag tube rust.

Then it gets a little inconsistent.

Mine will run AA lite target when it's kleen but won't run winlite or rem RR slugs for some reason????

Sts light target is fine anytime.

Anything heavier then light target has been 100%

Nick

I bought the SPX. After failures to feed during three different matches and the need for something more than cylinder bore I got the forcing cone lengthened and barrel threaded for chokes. Seems to work fine now with Federal 3 dram/1 1/8 oz loads. Now my son uses it and I bought an FN SLP...

I suppose that's good news that at least we have something semi-official from Mossberg. Although their recommendation to place an order thru a dealer, I have a feeling that if you go to a dealer and order this competition model, they aren't going to know what you're talking about. Maybe I'm wrong.

My 930 has been awesome. After a few initial break-in sputters running all kinds of junk... Now, running Walmart Federal low-brass, it's been 100% as I can remember. It's getting its new chokes as we speak...

Jeff

This just made my decision more difficult....... new mossberg, M2, or SLP? Have been shopping for my 3-gun shotgun. Just got my AR last week.....

Thanks for the info,

Chris

I just got email from mossberg that the competition model will be out late summer

Meaning full specs and price announced or actually on the shelves in gun stores?

here is email

Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, this model will be available by late summer as to when we don’t have exact date All our shotguns are currently in unusually great demand; we've increased production on all models and are shipping to distributors as best we can. Best option is to have your dealer order your model from his distributor(s) to get into the queue. Please log in at our Dealer locater so you can find a nearby dealer that might have this gun available.

http://www.mossberg.com/dealers/dealers.asp?section=resources

The gun will be very custom build for 3-Gun as prescribed by Jerry Miculek, Benny Hill and Kurt Miller:

Black Composite Stock – Matte Blue Finish

24” Vent Rib Barrel w/ NO PORTING

Choked barrel to include 3 choke tubes: I.C., Mod., Full.

Front Green Fiber Optic Sight – No mid-bead

9 Round magazine tube w/Barrel clamp (+1 for total of 10 round capacity)

Bolt release button to be drilled and Nordic Bolt Release button added

Bottom loading port will be rounded for easier/faster loading

my 930 i bought runs awesome and shoots anything that i feed it

Mine also, to include reloaded shot and slugs.

Shot a 3 Gun match Saturday, July 23rd, with the Copperas Cove Pistol Club, using reloaded 7 1/2 shot and experienced no problems using reloaded shells.